Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 12:36 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,985,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Oxford is a true college town; not sure about Starkville though.
What makes it a true college town? Starkville is a very small town, 23,000 people I think, and Mississippi State is the 1st or 2nd largest university in the state, makes up nearly half the population of the town itself. That university is the economy, I've been to Starkville...the whole place is centered around the college. However, Oxford is a FAR nicer town, seems a bit more historic, though Starkville does have the Cotton District, big place for Bulldog Bash parties.

Even Hattiesburg, where University of Southern Mississippi is at, is a thriving college town, and they have great shopping areas because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 12:45 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,504,893 times
I'm just going to assume that the latter blows the former out of the water in every aspects. Alabama has a lot going for it, and it at least seems to be utilizing some of the resources it has. Mississippi, I just don't even know. I really see this place being stagnant into the near future.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:45 AM

37,893 posts, read 42,008,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
What makes it a true college town? Starkville is a very small town, 23,000 people I think, and Mississippi State is the 1st or 2nd largest university in the state, makes up nearly half the population of the town itself. That university is the economy, I've been to Starkville...the whole place is centered around the college. However, Oxford is a FAR nicer town, seems a bit more historic, though Starkville does have the Cotton District, big place for Bulldog Bash parties.

Even Hattiesburg, where University of Southern Mississippi is at, is a thriving college town, and they have great shopping areas because of it.
A "true college town" is one where the identity of the town is exclusively wrapped up in that of the university; they're basically identical. Sounds like Starkville, while not as noted as Oxford, would qualify.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:32 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,514,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
I'm just going to assume that the latter blows the former out of the water in every aspects. Alabama has a lot going for it, and it at least seems to be utilizing some of the resources it has. Mississippi, I just don't even know. I really see this place being stagnant into the near future.
Partly due to the fact that in Mississippi, they still run black people over with vehicles, then turn around and claim they don't see color and never have when the judge stares at them.

Or the fact that an overwhelming majority of the state believe Obama is a Moo-zu-lum.

Or the fact that abortion is illegal.

Oh, or the fact that... Nevermind.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Partly due to the fact that in Mississippi, they still run black people over with vehicles, then turn around and claim they don't see color and never have when the judge stares at them.

Or the fact that an overwhelming majority of the state believe Obama is a Moo-zu-lum.

Or the fact that abortion is illegal.

Oh, or the fact that... Nevermind.
Abortion is legal in Mississippi and outlawed in Alabama.

It's true, a lot of people here believe Obama is a Muslim, but those people exist everywhere. Back in 2008 Senator McCain spoke with a woman in Florida who was concerned that Obama was a Muslim, they run into these people all over the country.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Abortion is legal in Mississippi and outlawed in Alabama.

It's true, a lot of people here believe Obama is a Muslim, but those people exist everywhere. Back in 2008 Senator McCain spoke with a woman in Florida who was concerned that Obama was a Muslim, they run into these people all over the country.
Yeah, legal only in when raped. It might as well be illegal as I said because those Mississippi Christians (being the good God fearing people that they are) have prayed away and stood outside of every abortion clinic in the state. How many do y'all have left? As of 2012, probably none.

And yes, there are more than a few people who believe Obama to be Muslim all over this US, but name another state with the widespread belief and sheer ignorance on the subject more pronounced than Mississippi?

Old 11-04-2012, 06:16 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,324,738 times
Quote:
Yeah, legal only in when raped. It might as well be illegal as I said because those Mississippi Christians (being the good God fearing people that they are) have prayed away and stood outside of every abortion clinic in the state. How many do y'all have left? As of 2012, probably none.

And yes, there are more than a few people who believe Obama to be Muslim all over this US, but name another state with the widespread belief and sheer ignorance on the subject more pronounced than Mississippi?
Why do you talk about how ignorant Mississippians supposedly are yet make yourself look ignorant by making ignorant statements about the state?

Old 11-04-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:

That is a gross exaggeration. Stereotypes are hugely inaccurate and that is all you are basing your assessment off of. There are idiotic people all over the country who believe in these unfounded conspiracies, Alaska rings a bell as being one of the worst, but then so are almost all of the deep south states, and oh you live in one too.

There is 1 abortion clinic in the state, it is still here, and last I heard it was not just for cases of rape or incest, it was open for all women.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Why do you talk about how ignorant Mississippians supposedly are yet make yourself look ignorant by making ignorant statements about the state?
No. Actually, I don't have to make ignorant assertions.

I hate to hurt your whittle feelings, I realize that not everyone in the state is dumb but lets just be real.

Mississippi ranks low on educational attainment, low on quality of health of residents, and low in terms of economic prosperity. I can go on and on. Mississippi is as Backwoods as they come.

Jackson, Mississippi is the BIG city. Tell me why every other Southern state has at least one metro with a million plus people (some with multiple) but Mississippi doesn't? That's because no one wants to live there.

And if you think I'm lying, know this... In 1930, your great state had just tick over 2 million people. Mississippi is SO progressive that in 2010, you guys haven't even cracked the 3 million mark yet.

Whew, that's what you consider stellar growth over the past 80 years.

Last edited by isawooty; 11-04-2012 at 09:07 PM..

Old 11-04-2012, 08:51 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,961,794 times
Quote:
No. Actually, I don't have to make ignorant assertions.

I hate to hurt your whittle feelings, I realize that not everyone in the state is dumb but lets just real.

Mississippi ranks low on educational attainment, low on quality of health of residents, and low in terms of economic prosperity. I can go on and on. Mississippi is as Backwoods as they come.

Jackson, Mississippi is the BIG city. Tell me why every other Southern state has at least one metro with a million plus people (some with multiple) but Mississippi doesn't? That's because no one wants to live there.

And if you think I'm lying, know this... In 1930, your great state had just tick over 2 million people. Mississippi is SO progressive that in 2010, you guys haven't even cracked the 3 million mark yet.

Whew, that's what you consider stellar growth over the past 80 years.
You are obviously not originally from Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City