Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:41 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,987,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Are people forgetting this is a comparison between Mississippi and Alabama. Mississippi might rank 50th in a certian negative category but Alabama is usually right there too. Plus any stereotype you want to attach to Mississippi can just as easily be said about Alabama. So maybe some people could take all their talking down a notch.
Point well made, let's stay on topic. This is about Mississippi vs Alabama. Not just a thread to talk about how bad Mississippi is compared to the rest of the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 11:17 AM

149 posts, read 271,330 times
All I know is that the people I've chatted with from Alabama jokingly say their unofficial state motto is: "Alabama, at least we're not Mississippi". Which gave me a chuckle.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:53 AM

72 posts, read 123,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm talking about metro population obviously. In terms of city population, Montgomery is on the verge of overtaking Birmingham, but who really thinks Montgomery is an overall bigger and more important place than Birmingham?
Montgomery is very important because it is the state capital. Montgomery also has a very flourishing city center/downtown development which has been way ahead of Birmingham over the last decade.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1998 View Post
Montgomery is very important because it is the state capital. Montgomery also has a very flourishing city center/downtown development which has been way ahead of Birmingham over the last decade.
I hope you are not saying Montgomery's downtown is better than Birmingham's. Please check yourself.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:05 AM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1998 View Post
Montgomery is very important because it is the state capital.
In the grand scheme of things, it is not more important than Birmingham. That was my point.

Quote:
Montgomery also has a very flourishing city center/downtown development which has been way ahead of Birmingham over the last decade.
I think that's arguable, but I'm pretty sure since Regions Field, Railroad Park, the Westin, etc. were built, Birmingham has been getting more new investment overall.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In the grand scheme of things, it is not more important than Birmingham. That was my point.

I think that's arguable, but I'm pretty sure since Regions Field, Railroad Park, the Westin, etc. were built, Birmingham has been getting more new investment overall.
This ^

"Flourishing" aside, you're comparing apples to Oranges. Birmingham metro is almost 3 times the size of Montgomery metro.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:16 AM

124 posts, read 179,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamaniac View Post
Mississippi has morbid obesity, high percentage of h.s. drop outs, teenage pregnancy, engrained segregation, and is an economic albatross on the back of America. Throw on religious fanaticism on top of that. It also has a deadly high murder rate. It's the American third world. A veteran friend of mine from there jokingly refers to it as Kandahar province with less culture.

Birmingham is at least trying to change its image a bit with mixed results. I'd take attempts at real progress in Birmingham rather than wallowing in poverty and rage like MS. Plus Alabama has a pretty cool football tradition if you're into that.
damn, he went and called Mississippi the American third world LOL!!

I like MS over AL personally.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:10 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,396,659 times
Mississippi is much more rural, while a lot of AL's population is centered around BHM. Jackson, Miss would the the 5th biggest city in Alabama or something like that.

Alabama is going through a manufacturing renaissance right now, lots of oppertunites. Huntsville is second only to DC for the defense industry.

Miss is seeing some development, but not as much. A few car factories here and there.

Miss has a lot of people at the very high end of the spectrum, and a lot at the very low end. Alabama has much more distribution towards the middle.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartbeats & Brianwaves View Post
damn, he went and called Mississippi the American third world LOL!!

I like MS over AL personally.
Yeah, it kinda sounds like he hasn't explored the state all that well, or the south in general. As I've said before, small town Mississippi is virtually the same as small town Alabama and small town Georgia, there are very few differences. The Mississippi Coast is like a different state, it's more like Florida down there, they have good shopping, good food, are more open minded, and are more diverse than the rest of the state.

And saying Alabama has a tradition of College Football? That's the entire SEC. Mississippi State and Ole Miss are regular heavy weights in the SEC, right behind Alabama and LSU. College Football is a way of life in the south, not just Alabama, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Mississippi is much more rural, while a lot of AL's population is centered around BHM. Jackson, Miss would the the 5th biggest city in Alabama or something like that.

Alabama is going through a manufacturing renaissance right now, lots of oppertunites. Huntsville is second only to DC for the defense industry.

Miss is seeing some development, but not as much. A few car factories here and there.

Miss has a lot of people at the very high end of the spectrum, and a lot at the very low end. Alabama has much more distribution towards the middle.
Depends on how you're comparing the cities. For MSA figures Jackson would be the second largest city in Alabama behind Birmingham. Jackson is roughly 570,000 people Birmingham is about 1.1 million, then Mobile is about 490,000, Huntsville and Montgomery are considerably smaller.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:17 PM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Depends on how you're comparing the cities. For MSA figures Jackson would be the second largest city in Alabama behind Birmingham. Jackson is roughly 570,000 people Birmingham is about 1.1 million, then Mobile is about 490,000, Huntsville and Montgomery are considerably smaller.
Huntsville is the second largest metro area, fourth largest city by population, and fastest growing large city in Alabama.

Huntsville fastest growing large metro in Alabama, added 23,500 people since 2010 | AL.com

Huntsville only steadily growing large city in Alabama | AL.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City