Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2020, 01:58 PM

887 posts, read 626,932 times

Advertisements

Bloomingdale's parent company, Macy's, has decided to exit the fur business by the end of this year. In-store fur salons in both Macy's and Bloomingdale's stores, as well as the fur storage facilities, will be closed.

While Macy's is viewed as a mid-tier department store, this decision could put Bloomingdale's at a disadvantage. It's luxury store peers, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, and Saks Fifth Avenue, will continue to sell fur products.

Last edited by Nearwest; 01-09-2020 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 05:14 PM

14,193 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvysearch View Post
In terms of upmarket department stores:

High:Saks, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales
Middle:Nordstrom
Low:Macys
There, fixed that for you.

Don't forget that the entire universe of department stores includes the discounters and mass merchandisers: Walmart, Target, Kohl's, what's left of Kmart - and the wasting carcass of Sears.

Macy's is just about dead center on the entire spectrum.

Old 01-09-2020, 06:04 PM

142 posts, read 223,237 times
The devil is in the details. Having a Macy's wouldn't be as upscale as having a separate Men's and Women's Macy's. The lines are going to be more exclusive than at their all-in-one Macy's. Louis Vuitton and Oscar de la Renta have the same clientele. The differentiation in upscale is in the exclusivity. Oscar de la Renta stand-alone boutique is a better indicator of the level of an upscale center than Louis Vuitton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Bloomingdale's is definitely not on the same level as Saks and Neiman Marcus. It's in the middle with Nordstrom.
It can be argued, but it's not exactly in the middle with Nordstrom either. Bloomingdale's practically carries the same lines as Nordstrom, so the price points are similar at the lowest end of what they both sell. But not at the highest end. The difference is that certain exclusive products exist at Bloomingdale's that bridge it into Sak's and Neiman levels. I saw the whole range of Cire Trudon, for example, at Bloomingdales. Not even Nordstrom nor even Saks/Neiman, carry that candle line.

Old 01-09-2020, 06:29 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,461,954 times
Quote:
The devil is in the details. Having a Macy's wouldn't be as upscale as having a separate Men's and Women's Macy's. The lines are going to be more exclusive than at their all-in-one Macy's. Louis Vuitton and Oscar de la Renta have the same clientele. The differentiation in upscale is in the exclusivity. Oscar de la Renta stand-alone boutique is a better indicator of the level of an upscale center than Louis Vuitton.

It can be argued, but it's not exactly in the middle with Nordstrom either. practically carries the same lines as Nordstrom, so the price points are similar at the lowest end of what they both sell. But not at the highest end. The difference is that certain exclusive products exist at Bloomingdale's that bridge it into Sak's and Neiman levels. I saw the whole range of Cire Trudon, for example, at Bloomingdales. Not even Nordstrom nor even Saks/Neiman, carry that candle line.
That was my thought. Fashion Valley here in San Diego has Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, and Bloomingdales. Bloomingdales is by far the third tier of the three. I’d say Nordstrom is closer to Neiman Marcus than Bloomingdales is to Nordstrom.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:40 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,248,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
There, fixed that for you.

Don't forget that the entire universe of department stores includes the discounters and mass merchandisers: Walmart, Target, Kohl's, what's left of Kmart - and the wasting carcass of Sears.

Macy's is just about dead center on the entire spectrum.
Macy's depends on the city. They still hold some esteem. But yes hurting and at risk.

You know Chicago's core and other parts fairly well..... Its old former Marshall Field and still relevant N Michigan Ave store .... still are relevant. But yes, its not top tier.

Neiman Markus still is there in a newer building, Bloomingdales, Burberry, newer Zara, Saks in newer building, Cartier in newer building, Gucci and Nordstrom's.

Built after 2000 is newer ..... Now a Largest Starbucks Reserve Roastery added all on N Michigan Ave. Sadly Retail is still decreasing. Filling with other types is necessary today.

Boutique high-end on side streets and newer Rush St added getting Dior and Versace added to Rush St. Elevated the one Chicago core St that goes against the grid. It curves .....

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9001...7i16384!8i8192

Old 01-10-2020, 12:40 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,250,592 times
Quote:

It can be argued, but it's not exactly in the middle with Nordstrom either. Bloomingdale's practically carries the same lines as Nordstrom, so the price points are similar at the lowest end of what they both sell. But not at the highest end. The difference is that certain exclusive products exist at Bloomingdale's that bridge it into Sak's and Neiman levels. I saw the whole range of Cire Trudon, for example, at Bloomingdales. Not even Nordstrom nor even Saks/Neiman, carry that candle line.
I worked for both Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's. In the retail world they are at the same level. Neither has ever been grouped with Saks, Neiman's and Bergdorf's. For men who sells Kiton, Brioni, Isaia, Tom Ford or Giorgio Armani clothing? Some of these retailers sell desigers that others don't whether it's Blooingdales or Saks but if you look at the entire picture Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's are not on the same upscale level as the others.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:51 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,248,493 times
Quote:
I worked for both Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's. In the retail world they are at the same level. Neither has ever been grouped with Saks, Neiman's and Bergdorf's. For men who sells Kiton, Brioni, Isaia, Tom Ford or Giorgio Armani clothing? Some of these retailers sell desigers that others don't whether it's Blooingdales or Saks but if you look at the entire picture Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's are not on the same upscale level as the others.
They are still significant in what is left of American higher-end or mid-range retail. Cities that manage newer retail flagship stores of these retailers .... all of them. Are doing still well.

My hope is that retail hands on se and try-on .... gets a big comeback. Just before we lose too many more retailers. . Ashamed if we do. A sad day indeed. Even when the pat Sears is gone. Though what a legacy and history it left us. Even its iconic still having millions still poured into it in remaking its base to retail and more. As the Willis Tower.

Sears IS PART IF AMERICA AND ITS EVOLVING MIDDLE-CLASS. Now dwindling. Others gone be for it too. Still sad a former Iconic retailer of the 20th century may be gone soon. But not forgotten in history.

Last edited by DavePa; 01-10-2020 at 01:01 AM..

Old 01-10-2020, 01:25 AM

142 posts, read 223,237 times
Quote:
Saks/Neiman is more exclusive than Bloomingdales. I’m not arguing that. (Saks/Neiman don’t even have commercials). But I don’t consider that enough to put them in the same category at Nordstrom. You can argue that and I wouldn’t blink an eye. (I mean, Bergdorf can be separated out to a higher level too if we want to get even more nuanced). But I see branding nuances, and curation choices between N and B that separate them for me as a consumer. But it’s also more than what they sell. Nordstrom is more mainstream than Bloomingdales. Nordstrom has 119 stores across America. Bloomingdales has 35. So Bloomingdales is much choosier about which city/center they’ll set up in. They’re more careful with their branding. There’s also the brand damage of Nordstrom Rack, which has way too many stores across America. Saks and Bloomingdales have outlets too, but it’s more discreet and don’t outnumber their full stores.

Like seeing a woman with an Hermes bag vs Louis Vuitton. It makes no difference to people who can’t afford it. But to those who can, there’s a difference.

Last edited by savvysearch; 01-10-2020 at 02:08 AM..

Old 01-10-2020, 05:08 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Neiman Marcus Stores by Square Footage:
Gross Sq ft / Store Location

252,000 San Francisco, CA
224,000 Houston, TX
218,000 Dallas(NorthPark), TX
206,000 Atlanta, GA
188,000 Chicago, IL
188,000 New York(Hudson Yards), NY
185,000 Beverly Hills, CA
181,000 Honolulu, HI
174,000 Las Vegas, NV
157,000 Troy, MI
156,000 Plano, TX
153,000 Newport Beach, CA
144,000 Northbrook, IL
145,000 King of Prussia, PA
145,000 St Louis, MO
141,000 Paramus, NJ
138,000 White Plains, NY
137,000 Short Hills, NJ
136,000 Boca Raton, FL
136,000 Coral Gables, FL
130,000 McLean, VA
130,000 Washington, DC
129,000 Dallas(Downtown), TX
125,000 Bellevue, WA
120,000 Palo Alto, CA
120,000 San Antonio, TX
120,000 Topanga, CA
114,000 Scottsdale, AZ
111,000 Boston, MA
111,000 Garden City, NY
106,000 San Diego, CA
103,000 Natick, MA
98,000 Oak Brook, IL
97,000 Bal Harbour, FL
96,000 Tampa, FL
95,000 Orlando, FL
92,000 Ft Lauderdale, FL
92,000 Ft Worth, TX
90,000 Denver, CO
88,000 Walnut Creek, CA
80,000 Austin, TX
80,000 Charlotte, NC
53,000 Palm Beach, FL

https://neiman.gcs-web.com/company-i...tore-locations

My pic taken years ago from an upper floor window of the Grand Hyatt Union Square, anyhow, the spot where Stockton and Geary meet is quite posh, on the 4 corners of this intersection sit the largest Neiman Marcus store, a Louis Vuitton flagship store, a Bvlgari flagship store, and the SE corner of Union Square. Not bad

Last edited by 18Montclair; 01-10-2020 at 05:34 AM..

Old 01-10-2020, 05:23 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Bloomingdale's store locations and sq footage

Accesible via spreadsheet, scroll to the lower part of this page:
https://www.macysinc.com/about/store...square-footage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City