Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 05:06 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

That Oliver McMillan project in Atlanta reminds me of the River Oaks District in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 05:11 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Ahh...Well...This is probably why.
River Oaks District

Old 05-08-2014, 06:52 PM

409 posts, read 587,313 times
Buckhead is a suburb. This thread isn't really about suburban shopping malls and the like, which are in every city.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:28 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
Buckhead is a suburb. This thread isn't really about suburban shopping malls and the like, which are in every city.
Buckhead is a district.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:36 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,526 times
Don't quote me on this, but someone in the know said that Tom Ford, Carolina Herrera, Dior, Vera Wang, DVF, D&G, and Celine are also opening too.

I mean these are stores that are putting a lot of faith in Atlanta and the Southeast. I just don't know if this is going to workout the way they want. It's too much too fast IMHO. But what do I know.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:37 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,383 times
^^^^That may be suburban, but I'd call it a shopping district. Buckhead has 2 upscale malls, now this, and little antiques and boutiquey shopping areas. It may not be on a wide avenue like Michigan in Chicago or Fifth or Madison in NYC, or in a confined urban district like SoHo in NYC or Union Square in San Francisco, but it's a district nonetheless, probably ~1-2 square miles.

Buckhead as a single submarket (for office, residential, hotels, and retail) can be compared to River Oaks/Uptown in Houston and to the Golden Triangle/Melrose/Robertson in LA, and all can be compared to urban districts in this country.

It's hard to quantify upscale, though by rents (which usually equates to demand), the most expensive areas are:

Fifth Ave
Madison Ave
Broadway (NYC) (not upscale, though)
Rodeo Dr
Union Square (SF)
Michigan Ave
SoHo/Chelsea

everyone else

A few rents in Buckhead, for instance, can top $100. However, rents on Newbury in Boston, in Georgetown in DC, and in Miami Beach, frequently top $200. Even rents in Seattle and Philadelphia are approaching $200.

In terms of square footage and offerings, a place like Buckhead has a ton of shopping. Union Square in SF has 3.6 million SF. However, Buckhead easily approaches that between Lenox Square (anchored by Bloomie's, Neiman Marcus, Macy's), Phipps Plaza (anchored by Nordstrom, Saks, Belk), Buckhead Atlanta, and everything in between (little "urban" strip centers with low end and box type shops/anchors and little village shopping areas with local boutiques and antique stores). Buckhead really is kind of a one stop shop, as opposed to Dallas, which has better shopping overall, but much more spread out.

NYC, Chicago, and SF have the largest department stores, and original department stores not yet bought out. NYC, LA, SF, and Chicago carry the vast bulk of flagships for American and international retailers, and NYC, LA, and SF are probably the most frequent entry markets for international retailers looking for an American presence. Miami Beach and now the Design District are seen as outposts where retailers must have a presence, along with Las Vegas. Boston's Back Bay has what Buckhead has, but in a more urban old-school format.

Too many subjective variables, but I think I'd question any list that didn't have Upper Eastside NYC at the top followed by Golden Triangle LA, Union Square SF, and Magnificent Mile Chicago rounding out the top 4.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Buckhead is a district.
Ok, but it's still suburban, and not really about the thread topic.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
^^^^That may be suburban, but I'd call it a shopping district. Buckhead has 2 upscale malls, now this, and little antiques and boutiquey shopping areas. It may not be on a wide avenue like Michigan in Chicago or Fifth or Madison in NYC, or in a confined urban district like SoHo in NYC or Union Square in San Francisco, but it's a district nonetheless, probably ~1-2 square miles.
The equivalents to Buckhead are the suburban edge cities. So Paramus, NJ, Tysons Corner, VA, Costa Mesa, CA, King of Prussia, VA, Aventura, FL, Troy, MI and the like.

Buckhead isn't really comparable to an urban neighborhood, at all. It's malls and office parks, and basically no pedestrians. Buckhead is mostly just woodsy lots with big homes, like any rich suburb.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:07 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,039 times
Looks like River Oaks is about to revolutionize Houston's retail scene. Hermes will relocate into a 10,000 square feet store, roughly the same size as their Beverly Hills and Miami flagships. Dior, Cartier, and Tom Ford will also be opening a large boutiques.

Cartier, Dior and other luxury brands coming to River Oaks District - Prime Property

Old 05-08-2014, 08:17 PM

But River Oaks is like Buckhead. More suburban shopping, not urban neighborhoods.

I thought this thread was comparing walkable downtown districts, not comparing shopping centers and suburban malls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City