Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 10:34 PM

409 posts, read 588,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Dallas?
Upscale Dallas shopping is 95% in NorthPark Mall or Highland Park Village (both suburban style centers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 11:04 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
Upscale Dallas shopping is 95% in NorthPark Mall or Highland Park Village (both suburban style centers).
Who cares if they are suburban. That wasn't the point of the thread.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:31 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Who cares if they are suburban. That wasn't the point of the thread.
Well then someone should've named this thread upscale shopping malls or centers.

Dallas has good shopping but they're all suburban shopping malls.

A shopping district is not a mall, it is an urban street lined with retail.

Every city has upscale shopping malls, not every one has a true shopping district.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post

Every city has upscale shopping malls, not every one has a true shopping district.
Exactly. Thank you.

Even if you go somewhere like Detroit, they have a suburban shopping mall (and yes, it has neighboring highrises and apartments, no different than a Buckhead-type area) with Neiman Marcus, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Armani, Saks, Burberry, etc.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:40 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,116,604 times
^^That's one mall, which is simply not comparable to Buckhead. I literally *dislike* Atlanta and I don't even like Buckhead for a whole host of reasons, but I am traveled enough to know that Buckhead is NOT like your average upscale mall. It could be its own city; it's just that much more dynamic, large, and shall I say compact in terms of geographical area? There are 2 heavy rail lines with 2 stops in Buckhead.

Also, in Dallas, as I know from experience, Highland Park Village is not a mall, but rather a historic neighborhood commercial village that is quite beautiful, long time owned by a family there, and it has really really high end shopping that BLOWS anything that suburban Detroit, Boston, Philly, Jersey, etc have out of the water. It's too small in square footage to compete with other major districts being discussed, including Buckhead.

Finally, with nearly 3 million SF of upscale shopping before you get to the everyday shopping, all in a square mile, Buckhead is easily one of the biggest shopping destinations in this country, and that's quite well know. It carries a lot of brand power by itself. JW Marriott and Ritz Carlton are practically attached to the malls, and Streets of Buckhead was going to include a Baccarat hotel, but instead "merely" has a St. Regis across the street. "Standard" suburban shopping districts don't have that. That's actually more typical of urban districts, but Atlanta has thrown literally all of its shopping eggs in one basket.

Other things going on in Streets of Buckhead are Shakeshack and Georgetown Cupcake. Anyone from NYC or DC should now realize we aren't talking standard fare with names like those going in.

I don't know how you rank "districts" aside from looking at subjective brand power, accessibility, other complimentary uses in that district (usually hotels, office, entertainment...not all of which is usually associated with suburban malls), rents can be an indicator, selection, department stores offered, sales PSF (which are tied to rents actually), etc etc.

With that in mind, Buckhead as a district would rank quite highly, and I would say without a doubt beats any other non-CBD/suburban thing going on in all categories except for sales and rents (exceeded by Costa Mesa, Golden Triangle/Beverly Hills, and Miami Beach).

Old 05-09-2014, 07:53 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Well then someone should've named this thread upscale shopping malls or centers.

Dallas has good shopping but they're all suburban shopping malls.

A shopping district is not a mall, it is an urban street lined with retail.

I would agree. There is something special about shopping Michigan Avenue vs the galleria type malls that are popular.

Now days every city seems to have the same retailers. It's no longer a big deal to see Macys, Nordstroms, and other national retailers in a mall near midrises.

It's not everyday you can combine the urban experience into a strong retail district. How many cities offer a live work and play type neighborhood that is anchored by Bloomingdales and Neiman Marcus. Or a middle income neighborhood anchored by Target or Burlington? I think that is what this thread is about.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
^^That's one mall, which is simply not comparable to Buckhead. I literally *dislike* Atlanta and I don't even like Buckhead for a whole host of reasons, but I am traveled enough to know that Buckhead is NOT like your average upscale mall. It could be its own city; it's just that much more dynamic, large, and shall I say compact in terms of geographical area? There are 2 heavy rail lines with 2 stops in Buckhead.
Who cares? Buckhead consists of malls. It isn't a downtown district. And that Detroit example is two nearby malls, not one, same as Buckhead.

Maybe it's "better" than other malls and suburban areas (though I disagree, Paramus, Costa Mesa and Tysons have bigger and more desirable malls), but it's still a suburban mall area. You can't compare it to a downtown district. Obviously Atlanta already has a downtown, and that would be comparable to other downtowns, without resorting to comparing a suburb to a downtown.
Quote:
^^
Also, in Dallas, as I know from experience, Highland Park Village is not a mall, but rather a historic neighborhood commercial village that is quite beautiful, long time owned by a family there, and it has really really high end shopping that BLOWS anything that suburban Detroit, Boston, Philly, Jersey, etc have out of the water.
This is all untrue. I have been to Highland Park Village, and it's a suburban strip mall. Now granted, it's a very beautiful suburban strip mall, but it is NOT a downtown, walkable shopping area.

And it's no different than other really nice suburban strip malls. Ever been to the Americana, on Long Island? That makes Highland Park Village look like a truck stop. The Americana has some of the biggest flagship luxury stores in the U.S., and is often the #3 location in terms of North American revenues for the "big boys" (Gucci, Armani and the like) after Manhattan and Beverly Hills.

Yet, still, the Americana is a suburban mall. A very, very nice suburban mall, with world class art/sculpture and landscaping, and a "village" environment, but it's still a mall.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:24 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:

Also, in Dallas, as I know from experience, Highland Park Village is not a mall, but rather a historic neighborhood commercial village that is quite beautiful, long time owned by a family there, and it has really really high end shopping that BLOWS anything that suburban Detroit, Boston, Philly, Jersey, etc have out of the water. It's too small in square footage to compete with other major districts being discussed, including Buckhead.
That is not true. Like other posters have said every major city has its upscale malls and shopping centers. Highland Park Village by no means blows King of Prussia Mall, Copley Place, or Mall at Short Hills out of the water when it comes to upscale retail.

I am not disagreeing that Buckhead, Highland Park, etc are upscale, but they are not the same as a downtown shopping district that you would find in Manhattan, Chicago, Boston, etc.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:06 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,116,604 times
Ok, I'll drop my defense of Atlanta (which is super rare on this site), but I live in SF. No need to preach what an urban upscale shopping district is. Lol

However, as now confirmed, the OP never specified urban vs suburban and there are no set rules for defining what is most upscale since many parameters are subjective.

Maybe another thread should be created comparing established older strips like Highland Park and Americana at Manhasset to other streetcar district shopping areas such as Highland Park, IL, or Troy, MI, Coral Gables, or various areas here in the Bay Area (I can list out several). "Most upscale" would be a disservice to comparing, though, and while on that topic, Americana at Manhasset has higher sales PSF than Highland Park Village in Dallas, however, in my personal opinion the selection at Highland Park Village is more exclusive.

Then maybe another thread should be created comparing areas such as Buckhead to Southfield, Bellevue, Tysons Corner, Costa Mesa, Cherry Creek, Uptown/River Oaks, etc etc. I wouldn't put King of Prussia in that category since it is literally just a mall (well two connected).

If we're only talking about truly urban shopping districts here (which was not the OP's question), then in my opinion LA wouldn't compete. Golden Triangle is not that urban. It's like a cross between Buckhead and Union Square. There is still parking in front of much of the retail, garages, a nearby mall, suburban office, etc etc. In fact, especially when you look at the area all the way over to Robertson, Melrose over to Beverly Center, the area is more similar to Buckhead than to any urban shopping district.

And why only mention NYC, SF, Chicago, Boston, Philly, and Seattle? Charleston, SC has great urban shopping (there even used to be a Saks downtown). Why compare subjectively "most upscale"? Why not go for the whole experience? User friendliness? Convenience and access? History? Size? etc etc

Old 05-09-2014, 10:54 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Quote:

Finally, with nearly 3 million SF of upscale shopping before you get to the everyday shopping, all in a square mile, Buckhead is easily one of the biggest shopping destinations in this country, and that's quite well know. It carries a lot of brand power by itself. JW Marriott and Ritz Carlton are practically attached to the malls, and Streets of Buckhead was going to include a Baccarat hotel, but instead "merely" has a St. Regis across the street. "Standard" suburban shopping districts don't have that. That's actually more typical of urban districts, but Atlanta has thrown literally all of its shopping eggs in one basket.

Other things going on in Streets of Buckhead are Shakeshack and Georgetown Cupcake. Anyone from NYC or DC should now realize we aren't talking standard fare with names like those going in.

I don't know how you rank "districts" aside from looking at subjective brand power, accessibility, other complimentary uses in that district (usually hotels, office, entertainment...not all of which is usually associated with suburban malls), rents can be an indicator, selection, department stores offered, sales PSF (which are tied to rents actually), etc etc.

With that in mind, Buckhead as a district would rank quite highly, and I would say without a doubt beats any other non-CBD/suburban thing going on in all categories except for sales and rents (exceeded by Costa Mesa, Golden Triangle/Beverly Hills, and Miami Beach).
That may be a bit much to say it BLOWS anything out of the water. There are a couple of higher end shopping areas in the suburbs of Boston. You look at the Natick Collection (in Natick, MA) and you see a mall that has stores like Nieman and Marcus, Burberry, Salvatore Ferragamo, Stuart Weitzman, Bottega Veneta, Gucci, Louis Vitton, Michael Kors, Tiffany and Tesla Motors for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City