Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2019, 04:42 PM

409 posts, read 334,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is from 7 years ago...how time flies
sheesh that's a lot of retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 07:09 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,780,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think Tyson’s Corner still has more of the luxury shopping in the area but yeah, that’s why I said it’s a mix. DC has definitely stepped up in the past 5 years. City Center is a big help and there’s more to come when they build that office tower if it also has GFR.
What cities have luxury stores downtown in 2019 currently? I know NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, Miami, and DC. What other cities have stores in their actual downtown now? All cities have changed so much in the last decade. There are probably quite a few.

Old 12-28-2019, 07:39 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,989,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
What cities have luxury stores downtown in 2019 currently? I know NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, Miami, and DC. What other cities have stores in their actual downtown now? All cities have changed so much in the last decade. There are probably quite a few.
Maybe Seattle. Atlanta has high end brands in Buckhead, which has its own CBD, but it's not downtown.

Maybe some smaller cities.

Old 12-28-2019, 07:47 PM

3,549 posts, read 2,341,146 times
Throw a dart at any one of them

LA's Rodeo Drive, NYC's 5th Ave, Tysons in metro DC or King of Prussia in metro Philly

Old 12-28-2019, 08:28 PM

4,436 posts, read 6,312,545 times
Downtown Dallas has some upscale shopping options. As does Uptown Dallas that’s connected to Downtown. The majority of upscale shopping is found North of that though.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:10 PM

20,519 posts, read 33,572,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I know Dallas does but it’s not as extensive. I didn’t think downtown Miami had luxury stores. Thought it was mostly in Miami Beach and Bal Harbour. Also Palm Beach.

Old 12-29-2019, 12:20 AM

7,412 posts, read 6,571,094 times
Brickell City Centre and Design District as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I know Dallas does but it’s not as extensive. I didn’t think downtown Miami had luxury stores. Thought it was mostly in Miami Beach and Bal Harbour. Also Palm Beach.

Old 12-29-2019, 08:32 AM

2,824 posts, read 2,292,611 times
For all of the massive growth and development US cities have seen over the 2010s. The premier "complete" downtown shopping districts pretty much remain: Manhattan, Chicago, SF, and Boston. Seattle still probably remains 5th.

DCs city center was ultimately a bit of a let down, its a fairly small collection of low traffic boutiques. It has none of the pizzazz of say Union Square. No big department stores, no great people watching, etc. It hasn't really led to any spin-off development nearby.

Philly's shopping improved a little with the mall redevelopment. But, it still lags well behind Boston/SF.

LAs downtown retail scene has improved, but the redevelopment has really focused on nightlife, dinning over destination retail.

Miami's opened the big developments. But, City Center feels more like a suburban shopping mall plopped down in the middle of a city.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:32 PM

409 posts, read 334,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
For all of the massive growth and development US cities have seen over the 2010s. The premier "complete" downtown shopping districts pretty much remain: Manhattan, Chicago, SF, and Boston. Seattle still probably remains 5th.

DCs city center was ultimately a bit of a let down, its a fairly small collection of low traffic boutiques. It has none of the pizzazz of say Union Square. No big department stores, no great people watching, etc. It hasn't really led to any spin-off development nearby.

Philly's shopping improved a little with the mall redevelopment. But, it still lags well behind Boston/SF.

LAs downtown retail scene has improved, but the redevelopment has really focused on nightlife, dinning over destination retail.

Miami's opened the big developments. But, City Center feels more like a suburban shopping mall plopped down in the middle of a city.
The thing is that City Center isn't complete yet. Phase 2 hasn't been fully leased at the bottom and phase 3 is yet to be complete so we don't know how it will turn out until everything is complete and the development starts to mature over time.

I will say that I did expect Anthem Row to have some of that spin off shopping retail (ie stores like a Nike or a Bloomingdales, etc) but it got an Equinox instead which might not be a bad thing since there isn't really an upscale gym in that vicinity.

Anthem Row has been a disappointment based on my expectation for that "spin-off retail" so far. Basically just another food hall, a "fitness center" and 2 restaurants planned for Anthem Row.

Last edited by MDfinest; 12-30-2019 at 04:10 PM..

Old 12-30-2019, 04:01 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,463,501 times
Without going through 40 pages of an old thread I’d say every major metro is going to have at least an area or two where there’ll be plenty of upscale shopping. Those with higher salaries and tourism will have more. With that said, the places that come to mind, west to east, are:Honolulu, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Chicago, Miami, Washington DC, and New York City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City