Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2014, 10:57 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,791,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Maybe another thread should be created comparing established older strips like Highland Park and Americana at Manhasset to other streetcar district shopping areas such as Highland Park, IL, or Troy, MI, Coral Gables, or various areas here in the Bay Area (I can list out several). "Most upscale" would be a disservice to comparing, though, and while on that topic, Americana at Manhasset has higher sales PSF than Highland Park Village in Dallas, however, in my personal opinion the selection at Highland Park Village is more exclusive.

Then maybe another thread should be created comparing areas such as Buckhead to Southfield, Bellevue, Tysons Corner, Costa Mesa, Cherry Creek, Uptown/River Oaks, etc etc. I wouldn't put King of Prussia in that category since it is literally just a mall (well two connected).
You have some great points. I wouldn't argue that Highland Park Village is urban like some places in Chicago or New York. But it definitely isn't your typical suburban mall either. The place was built in 1930 and is really exclusive due to it's location which is surrounded by the wealthiest neighborhoods in Dallas and also because of it's exclusive luxury shops. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 2000 as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 12:03 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,710,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Also, in Dallas, as I know from experience, Highland Park Village is not a mall, but rather a historic neighborhood commercial village that is quite beautiful, long time owned by a family there, and it has really really high end shopping that BLOWS anything that suburban Detroit, Boston, Philly, Jersey, etc have out of the water.

Are you talking about the layout of Highland Park Village or the stores themselves?

I would argue that on amount of upscale stores, Highland Park Village certainly does NOT blow King of Prussia Mall out of the water lol. KOP makes Highland Park look puny. It also has an unfortunate abbreviation: HPV

Philly also has Suburban Square in Ardmore. While this doesn't compete with the amount of upscale stores Highland Park has, it certainly competes with it in terms of layout and atmosphere.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:41 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,005,331 times
Paramus, NJ.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:05 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,120,181 times
Folks when I made the hyperbole that "HPV" blows other malls out of the water, it wasn't about size. HPV simply has more stores that really only have 2-5 other locations in the country than Natick, KoP, or lots of other super high end malls.

Alexander McQueen
Loro Piana
James ***** (P e r s e is somehow a cussword on here)
Stella McCartney
Trina Turk
Harry Winston
Akris
Yves Saint Laurent

Plus relatively trendy labels from NYC that are not commonly found (Scoop, Rag & Bone, etc).

Dallas as a city/metro is actually a semi-fashion hub, so it makes sense that this little strip in the middle of a neighborhood would pack that kind of punch. The bulk of Dallas's upscale shopping is in malls across the metro (NorthPark Center is highly reputable). The flagship Neiman's is downtown, which also has another high end department store (Stanley Korshak) in Uptown.

Anyway, these retail threads tend to go down so many different paths with so many wannabe experts piping in (I suppose myself included, though I do at least have a basis to go off of).

All of you experts who want to formulate that the only "districts" worth talking about, and perhaps they, are the urban ones + LA need to focus on one thing and one thing only: achievable rents.

Rents are driven by occupancy costs, which are contingent on sales. Sometimes occupancy cost can be inflated a bit in tourist markets such as NYC, Chicago, Beverly Hills, and SF because the general exposure is worth something.

That said,

Fifth Ave

Madison Ave

Rodeo Drive
Union Square
Michigan Ave
SoHo

Newbury St
Seattle (Fifth/Pine)
South Beach (Collins, Washington, Lincoln)

Walnut St
M St (Georgetown)

everyone else

Are the top of the top, with Fifth and Madison WELLLLLL above the rest. So there you go. Case closed.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:54 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,145,346 times
I don't understand why some of these people are putting L.A. so high then. It's upscale shopping is technically in the suburbs of L.A. It's not in downtown or a super urban neighborhood like NYC or SF.

The Golden Triangle/Rodeo Drive is on it's own Island. It will be no different than Buckhead Atlanta. Infact, BA will only be 2-3 miles away from Midtown. The Golden Triangle has to be at least 6-8 miles away from central L.A. Hell, it's not even in the same city LOL.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:09 PM

409 posts, read 588,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The Golden Triangle/Rodeo Drive is on it's own Island. It will be no different than Buckhead Atlanta. Infact, BA will only be 2-3 miles away from Midtown. The Golden Triangle has to be at least 6-8 miles away from central L.A. Hell, it's not even in the same city LOL.
Rodeo Drive is part of a walkable, totally pedestrian oriented downtown district. Buckhead is a much newer, auto-dominated sprawl with giant malls and parking lots and almost no pedestrians (in fact no sidewalks on most streets). It's quite obvious they're completely different.

And I don't understand your second point. You judge an area's urbanity by the distance from the central business district? Why, exactly? An iceberg one mile from downtown Nome, Alaska, is more urban than Yokohama, which is 20 miles from Tokyo?

You realize LA is many times bigger and more urban than Atlanta, so obviously the urbanity extends much further, right? Sprawl can be one mile from a downtown, and urbanity can be 40 miles from a downtown.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:15 PM

112 posts, read 136,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
Rodeo Drive is part of a walkable, totally pedestrian oriented downtown district. Buckhead is a much newer, auto-dominated sprawl with giant malls and parking lots and almost no pedestrians (in fact no sidewalks on most streets). It's quite obvious they're completely different.

And I don't understand your second point. You judge an area's urbanity by the distance from the central business district? Why, exactly? An iceberg one mile from downtown Nome, Alaska, is more urban than Yokohama, which is 20 miles from Tokyo?

You realize LA is many times bigger and more urban than Atlanta, so obviously the urbanity extends much further, right? Sprawl can be one mile from a downtown, and urbanity can be 40 miles from a downtown.
You can't blame him, he's used to living in a small city and can't possibly grasp the magnitude of much larger urban cities.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:08 PM

23,563 posts, read 24,089,586 times
Beverly Hills, Newport Beach and Union Square (San Francisco)

Old 05-09-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post

Buckhead is pretty walkable especially the area where this is going since this area used to be the old downtown of Buckhead before it was incorporated into Atlanta itself. This isn't near where you find Lenox and Phipps.

And outside of the Golden Triangle, it's pretty suburban. You can't find urban neighborhoods close to the Golden Triangle like you would find in NYC or SF.

And again, It's in Beverly Hills. Not in Los Angeles. And it would be fine if everything between the Golden Triangle and Downtown were urban, dense, and walkable and I mean Paris/NYC walkable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggah View Post
You can't blame him, he's used to living in a small city and can't possibly grasp the magnitude of much larger urban cities.
Oh please. I lived in LA for 13 years of my life and visit every couple of years. I've been to Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Xi'an as far as international cities are concerned on the scale of NYC or larger. Trust me, I know what a big city is.

L.A. as far as urbanity is concerned isn't on the likes of NYC, Paris, Hong Kong, And London.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:16 PM

Seriously, you can find this a block or two away from the Golden Triangle. As I said, it's a urban walkable district on an island that will be similar to Buckhead Atlanta...infact, Buckhead Atlanta will have more around it than the Golden Triangle will.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0707...pIchG7CjRQ!2e0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City