Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:37 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,964,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
CityWalk in Orlando is right where all of the attractions are and they close down at 2 AM which is the alcohol cut off time. Orlando is no vibrant city comparable to other cities mentioned.
You're right, but the fact that they do serve alchohol at select spots at City Walk now, is a huge stride for Orlando. You can even get alchohol at the Whopper Bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 06:30 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,568,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Two words: drunk drivers. Though LA has tried to address that by having the LA metro rail and metro liners operate until 2 AM, it's still not enough for most people.

SFLNC | LEGISLATION | LAST CALL
San Francisco recently tried to introduce legislation that would extend last call in the city of SF to 4 AM, but failed when it was introduced at the Assembly level.

Personally, I think there should at least be zones in California where last call would be extended to 4 AM or beyond. An area like Central LA or the City of SF should have later last calls because of the possible revenue these areas would get from tourists and suburbanites.

Of course, since it actually sounds reasonable, it will never happen.
IMO, trying to extend last call in CA would present a HUGE political challenge. I think the national attitude towards alcohol has been away from liberalization, at least since the ascendancy of MADD in the 1980’s. And local Temperance League types, or rather, older NIMBYS living near late night entertainment areas, would simply say “ go to Vegas”, where the good people of CA have externalized (some) of their iniquities.

I’m not sure NV interests present an obstacle to moving last call in CA, as much as the close proximity of the state further reduces potential leverage towards changing the status quo. You just know if last call were moved to 4:00 am, the first alcohol-related tragedy at 4:30 inevitably would be blamed on that change (whether it had anything to do with it or not) as well as all the politicians who voted for it. Because of this, I’m shocked any politician at the state level has even broached the subject. Which is unfortunate, because I think the current law has somewhat of negative effect on the local economy, especially with regards to tourism. Having said that, I think there exist opportunities to fill that void; food, dance& music, hookah, gaming, etc. Hash houses? You’re young, figure it out. Of course, one of the advantages of pushing booze late at night is drunk consumers don’t know when to stop.

The drinking culture such as it exists here encourages winos to start earlier and end earlier, so there might be a bit of validity to the fear the initial “adjustment period” to the extended hours would bring some really ugly consequences. Like 3:00 am hookups.

Last edited by nslander; 12-10-2012 at 07:15 PM..

Old 12-10-2012, 06:34 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I know this thread asks to compare cities besides New York but it's hella vibrant at night. It's my favorite thing about that city in all honesty because I'm incredibly nocturnal- New York in a nutshell is a young insomniacs paradise- I love it so much.

I took these pictures at 4:45 AM at night 6 weeks ago from my hotel room window (from my iPhone) when I was in New York:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...5-img-0244.jpg

There really are thousands of people awake that late to add to the foot traffic, it's incredible. I haven't ever been to Las Vegas before (it's on the short list) but I would imagine when we factor out New York that Las Vegas wins by FAR & away.

I cant wait to be back in New York again, maybe this coming weekend!

Well, that's because you were at the most popular attraction in NYC; Times Square. It's full of tourists so they do go by "The City Never Sleeps" notion when they're there. Otherwise, if you go to other neighborhoods in the city, it is almost completely dead.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:55 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,548,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Well, that's because you were at the most popular attraction in NYC; Times Square. It's full of tourists so they do go by "The City Never Sleeps" notion when they're there. Otherwise, if you go to other neighborhoods in the city, it is almost completely dead.
in manhattan the chance of something going on @ 4:45 am is there...with minimal vegas cheesiness

Old 12-10-2012, 07:05 PM

14,034 posts, read 15,048,993 times
Who cares? most people enjoy sleeping.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:07 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,065,386 times
I've been to the strip a couple times and never found it particular vibrant. The most vibrant I remember her was on Halloween.

I remember NOLA and South Beach more vibrant than the strip but my judgement is kind of skewed as I spent way more time in both (and once over Mardi Gras) than the strip. I just don't care for Vegas.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,710,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Hahaha I know right... all this talk of "I went to a club that didn't open until 3am... it was total awesome"

Huh? I'm sleeping at 3am... or else my Saturday is ruined.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
IMO, trying to extend last call in CA would present a HUGE political challenge. I think the national attitude towards alcohol has been away from liberalization, at least since the ascendancy of MADD in the 1980’s. And local Temperance League types, or rather, older NIMBYS living near late night entertainment areas, would simply say “ go to Vegas”, where the good people of CA have externalized (some) of their iniquities.

I’m not sure NV interests present an obstacle to moving last call in CA, as much as the close proximity of the state further reduces potential leverage towards changing the status quo. You just know if last call were moved to 4:00 am, the first alcohol-related tragedy at 4:30 inevitably would be blamed on that change (whether it had anything to do with it or not) as well as all the politicians who voted for it. Because of this, I’m shocked any politician at the state level has even broached the subject. Which is unfortunate, because I think the current law has somewhat of negative effect on the local economy, especially with regards to tourism. Having said that, I think there exist opportunities to fill that void; food, dance& music, hookah, gaming, etc. Hash houses? You’re young, figure it out. Of course, one of the advantages of pushing booze late at night is drunk consumers don’t know when to stop.

The drinking culture such as it exists here encourages winos to start earlier and end earlier, so there might be a bit of validity to the fear the initial “adjustment period” to the extended hours would bring some really ugly consequences. Like 3:00 am hookups.
Interesting analysis.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
in manhattan the chance of something going on @ 4:45 am is there...with minimal vegas cheesiness
I'd take the Vegas cheesiness.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
And most folks can deal with and enjoy strip-malls, freeways, and chain-restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City