Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 06:13 PM

9,378 posts, read 20,816,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Phoenix is not really the 5th largest city in the country. Its city limits are massive and mostly suburban. Scottsdale, DT Tempe, and DT Phoenix has decent night life but outside those areas it’s extremely sleepy.

Most west coast cities have a close of 2 AM but I’ve never thought of LA of SF as sleepy at all. Seattle and SD have areas (Capitol Hill and Gaslamp District) that are more vibrant than others but far from sleepy. Portland’s nightlife is all spread out so I’ll give you that.
With Seattle, i would also add Belltown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 08:39 PM

210 posts, read 199,902 times
New Orleans, Miami, Tampa, Vegas

Greenville and Charleston to a lesser extent, Charlotte there trying to come up in that category also

Last edited by TheMarino; 02-05-2022 at 08:47 PM..

Old 02-05-2022, 10:11 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,390,338 times
The problem with LA other than 2am thing is nightlife is way too spread out and way too many nightlife spots. Every few years a new nightlife area springs out of nowhere. The 4 biggest nightlife areas are Santa Monica, west Hollywood, Hollywood, Downtown LA. Anyone who has been to LA knows how spread many miles distance these places are. Outside the 4 are studio city, noho arts district, citywalk, Highland Park, Glendale, Pasadena, echo park, silver lake, Los feliz, Koreatown, culver city, Venice, Hermosa Beach, Glendale. Probably more areas that I don't know well enough. .

If there were a few concentrated areas, then I think LA would be a top 5 area for vibrancy. People walking everywhere, more late food shops feeding hungry people out of bars. P

Old 02-05-2022, 10:19 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,989,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
The problem with LA other than 2am thing is nightlife is way too spread out and way too many nightlife spots. Every few years a new nightlife area springs out of nowhere. The 4 biggest nightlife areas are Santa Monica, west Hollywood, Hollywood, Downtown LA. Anyone who has been to LA knows how spread many miles distance these places are. Outside the 4 are studio city, noho arts district, citywalk, Highland Park, Glendale, Pasadena, echo park, silver lake, Los feliz, Koreatown, culver city, Venice, Hermosa Beach, Glendale. Probably more areas that I don't know well enough. .

If there were a few concentrated areas, then I think LA would be a top 5 area for vibrancy. People walking everywhere, more late food shops feeding hungry people out of bars. P
I personally think that having different areas of nightlife is a good thing. It makes a place feel bigger IMO when there are multiple nightlife areas as opposed to 1 concentrated area.

Old 02-06-2022, 01:32 AM

365 posts, read 231,150 times
It's Vegas and it's not even close. And you know what I think is cool? You can now find organic and interesting nightlife scenes outside The Strip. For example, the Arts District in the south section of Downtown (Main St.) has tons of bars and music venues, and includes multiple 24/7 bars in the vicinity. There are other clusters such as the one near the University. The Double Down Saloon (right next to the HofBrauHaus) is an absolute classic 24/7 punk bar.

Old 02-06-2022, 07:05 AM

226 posts, read 133,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarino View Post

Greenville and Charleston to a lesser extent, Charlotte there trying to come up in that category also

Tampa? lol... Greenville??

People including these sleepy cities but not CHICAGO?? the city that has bars and clubs that are allowed until 4 am (some even 5 am) like NYC??

Watch these videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGJ9mNB9Zoo&t=15s (The West Loop/Fulton Market area)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjguBTDXIAs&t=1s (River North/Gold Coast area)

just one of the few Chicago nightlife hotspots. Didn't even include my favorite which is Milwaukee/Division Ave in Wicker Park, that neighborhood is packed with bars and restaurants and is bustling on the weekends.

Old 02-06-2022, 07:28 AM

817 posts, read 602,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyfygiu View Post
Tampa? lol... Greenville??

People including these sleepy cities but not CHICAGO?? the city that has bars and clubs that are allowed until 4 am (some even 5 am) like NYC??

Watch these videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGJ9mNB9Zoo&t=15s (The West Loop/Fulton Market area)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjguBTDXIAs&t=1s (River North/Gold Coast area)

just one of the few Chicago nightlife hotspots. Didn't even include my favorite which is Milwaukee/Division Ave in Wicker Park, that neighborhood is packed with bars and restaurants and is bustling on the weekends.
No, definitely Chicago. But not Greenville, SC, either.

Old 02-06-2022, 07:43 AM

226 posts, read 133,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I personally think that having different areas of nightlife is a good thing. It makes a place feel bigger IMO when there are multiple nightlife areas as opposed to 1 concentrated area.

Chicago/NYC have multiple nightlife areas and they're far more livlier than LA.

Old 02-06-2022, 09:27 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,983,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarino View Post

Miami nightlife is very vibrant. I would rank it among the best. I only lived in Vegas for six months and didn't have time for nightlife. Charlotte has never been a top rated nightlife destination like it is a banking mecca. I'm not sure they want it to.

Old 02-06-2022, 09:43 AM

726 posts, read 496,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Miami nightlife is very vibrant. I would rank it among the best. I only lived in Vegas for six months and didn't have time for nightlife. Charlotte has never been a top rated nightlife destination like it is a banking mecca. I'm not sure they want it to.
Charlotte has really good nightlife. It's not Vegas or New York but it's nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City