Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 06:28 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kca1020 View Post
I dont know what's up with Dee...Houston has one of the best skylines in the country while Dee brags about 4 story apartment complexes in Nac. Just for the record he's from Nac so don't lump Lufkin in with Dee.
Oh really, my appologies then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta has Tech, Georgia State and a branch of SCAD within it's immediate core alone. Within a 5-7 mile radius, you have Morehouse, Spellman, and Emory. I think it rates pretty high as far as universities.
Yep, thats why I gave it 100%

I dont know what more Toure wants me to give it.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:58 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
To be fair, this goes for all four cities. Miami's is overrated in this sense here. It's dense but that's all it is. Outside of Miami Beach and areas close to the beach in Miami, the metro is heavily suburban in nature. Regarding Houston, the core is actually larger than Dallas and Atlanta I believe. I could be wrong. Also, they do have some interesting hoods surrounding downtown.
Houston only has the 2 square mile Downtown area. Atlanta has the 3 square mile downtown area and a 2 square mile Midtown area. You can add the urban neighborhoods that hug downtown too like Sweet Auburn, Old 4th ward, Atlantic Station, and Castlebury hill.

Area in the black is Downtown and area in blue is Midtown...the whole area in red is what I would consider to be the urban core of Atlanta.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:06 PM

Meanwhile, Downtown Atlanta was crowded as hell today. I don't know if there's a convention or event going on in town, but it was a ton of stuff going on. Peachtree Center area had massive crowds. People were on the streets dressed up in cartoon characters and stuff.

It's really starting to make me believe Atlanta really does get 37 million tourist a year.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:09 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
I'm gonna vote for the most unlikely candidate: Baltimore

Old 03-15-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Houston only has the 2 square mile Downtown area. Atlanta has the 3 square mile downtown area and a 2 square mile Midtown area. You can add the urban neighborhoods that hug downtown too like Sweet Auburn, Old 4th ward, Atlantic Station, and Castlebury hill.

Area in the black is Downtown and area in blue is Midtown...the whole area in red is what I would consider to be the urban core of Atlanta.
That looks like a penis.
Anyway, i consider the urban core of Houston to be downtown, down to midtown, down to museum district, down to Binz, diwn to the medical center down to smithlands down to Reliant Park. Then going north from downtown i would say it extends past Northline. Then east it would go past east downtown towards magnolia. Then going west i would include montrose, 4th ward, washington avenue, upper kirby, allen parkway.

This corridor has most of the inner loops population

Old 03-15-2013, 10:12 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,767,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
That looks like a penis.
Anyway, i consider the urban core of Houston to be downtown, down to midtown, down to museum district, down to Binz, diwn to the medical center down to smithlands down to Reliant Park. Then going north from downtown i would say it extends past Northline. Then east it would go past east downtown towards magnolia. Then going west i would include montrose, 4th ward, washington avenue, upper kirby, allen parkway.

This corridor has most of the inner loops population
lol, I was just waiting to see if the first person who responded would say something

Old 03-15-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
lol, I was just waiting to see if the first person who responded would say something
about the penis?

Old 03-15-2013, 10:20 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,767,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
about the penis?
yep

Old 03-15-2013, 10:23 PM

Most of that looks suburban....are you serious? And medical center is a massive jump from downtown...none of it is really connected to each other. Everything I included is urban with no suburb neighborhoods...You walk or take transit to anywhere in that red blob...you added a hella load of suburban neighborhoods...basically the whole loop...if that was the urban core, we'd be talking about Houston being compared to Chicago and SF.

You don't see me adding Buckhead because to me, it's hardly connected.

This is in 'Midtown' Houston. Who'd actually consider this urban? https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Houst...06.52,,0,-0.89

This is 4th ward: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=houst...2,28.2,,0,0.74

Lol, just no. Your bias towards Houston baffles me. By comparison, this is Dallas about 1/2-1 mile outside of the CBD. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Dalla...13.93,,0,-0.66 This is urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City