Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 09:05 AM

725 posts, read 1,211,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Philly is a very good example of a city that has its international gateway status diminished due to nearby competitors. Boston is a good example of a city that, despite nearby competitors, maintains a ton of international clout on its own.
I dont even think that, I just think that Philly is 40 miles from NYC, and they are too close, almost 1 city. I think that Philly was put anywhere else it world be seen as a world class city, because even tho Philly compete with the large cities on every level, It cant be seen, next to the biggest city in North, and South America. Its like a little brother that compete with his big bro, but the big bro is just too big. Philly should STOP competing with New York, and compete with the cities its size. Honestly our head is in the clouds... Boston competes with the world cities its size and thereby excels, but Philly tries to compete with New York, London, Tokyo, and Hong Kong, and fails misreably, and meanwhile cities the size of Philly competes with Philly, but Philly dont even pay it attention, because it wants to be huge. (LOL!!! I tried to make since...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 09:09 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Wow, AA is going to duke it out with Korean over Seoul? That seems surprising. The northwestern part of South America seems more nautral, though.
Its all about corporate contracts. Samsung just announced a huge expansion both in Dallas and Austin. Right now, most of the Dallas based business actually flies AA over NRT to get to Seoul. DFW-Seoul is actually a very high fare market (unlike say DFW-Saigon/China) so they wont necesarily have to fill the plane to make a profit. AA is going for that contract which (the last time I saw it) calls for full Y fares to be purchased with on availability upgrades for the high level travelers.

Part of the reason you see airlines expand after chapter 11 is that they drive their costs into the ground. There are many risks that the airline can take with lower costs that they would not take with pre-bankruptcy costs. Im sure you will recall when Delta went through. When the came out, they launched Seoul and Johannesburg and expanded Europe and South America (mainly Brazil). In the couple of years after they launched Seoul, they caned it only because they gained metal neautrality with Korean Air and Delta was short on widebodies. But since Delta and Korean Air have metal neautrality, Korean and Delta share the profits no matter who flies it.

This is part of the same deal. These are routes that American has wanted to start, but could not justify with higher costs. I dont see DFW getting the same kind of expansion Atlanta got post BK because DFW doesnt have the geography for it, but I do think we will see more places added here and there.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:09 PM

519 posts, read 1,023,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Still working on national recognition? Come now, let's not go to the other extreme.
Certainly more than it did ten years ago, but I would never think of considering Atlanta one of the top 10 American cities, let alone one that has international recognition. Maybe its different in the South, but I can assure you that Atlanta does not have a lot of prestige in the North.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:13 PM

209 posts, read 462,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
Certainly more than it did ten years ago, but I would never think of considering Atlanta one of the top 10 American cities, let alone one that has international recognition. Maybe its different in the South, but I can absolutely assure you that Atlanta does not have a lot of prestige in the North.
Boston and Philadelphia does not have a lot of prestige in the South.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:23 PM

Maybe they should, centers of population and industry like Boston and Philadelphia are the reason the southern part of this country is still the southern part of this country.

Both those cities are drastically more well-established when it comes to every single standard that measures an "alpha" city. You're comparing a city that's only started to come onto the scene in this last generation to two that were world class cities before the United States of America even existed.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:54 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Its not going to be ignored. My whole argument is that you cant take all the data and draw one conclusion. If you break it down, what you see is not one city more international than the other, but rather both Atlanta and Dallas have closer ties to particular countries or regions. Here is the data below:

Atlanta-Caribbean per year: 497,092
Dallas-Caribbean per year: 174,637

Difference: 322,455

Dallas-Mexico vacation destinations: 298,414
Atlanta-Mexico vacation destination: 213,919

Difference: 84,495

If you want to do a breakdown of specific countries, Id be all for hearing it but I gotta go to work.

Something you have to consider is that the data is driven in part by the number of nonstop international flights because of the separate ticketing that often occurs. That's a huge reason why ATL's international O&D shot up after DL went in to bankruptcy and DL stated expanding from ATL like crazy. The same thing is going on at AA right now and we will probably see similar results.
Interesting

I am personally curious to see what happens at PHL with the new merger. Not to go on a tangent but know u have some good airline insight. Rumors are increased Int'l flights on the new AA via PHL (potentially to include Asia) also US/AA is starting a PHL Brazil flight later this year

Old 03-14-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Maybe they should, centers of population and industry like Boston and Philadelphia are the reason the southern part of this country is still the southern part of this country.

Both those cities are drastically more well-established when it comes to every single standard that measures an "alpha" city. You're comparing a city that's only started to come onto the scene in this last generation to two that were world class cities before the United States of America even existed.
You implied Atlanta did not have a lot of prestige to the North and I implied that neither Boston and Philly had a lot of prestige on the South. If I'm wrong, so are you.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:04 PM

If that's the case, it sounds like their may be a lack of historical education in the South, as no part of this country would exist if not for those two cities. Unless being the two cities most integral to the American Revolution doesn't garner prestige in the South.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
If that's the case, it sounds like their may be a lack of historical education in the South, as no part of this country would exist if not for those two cities. Unless being the two cities most integral to the American Revolution doesn't garner prestige in the South.
Lack of historical education? Are you familiar with Martin Luther King?

Without Atlanta, African Americans wouldn't be equal.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:11 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
I honestly see a bit of arrogance from your post as well. The North shouldn't acknowledge cities in the South because their new but the South should acknowledge the cities in the North because their older more established? It doesn't work that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City