Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is least Southern
Northern Virginia 78 43.58%
South Florida 101 56.42%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 12:11 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Grills, Donks, Box Chevy's are one thing, but that doesn't make or break one's "Southerness". NoVa felt more "traditionally Southern" in ways Miami never could. Car culture and urban Southern culture are late-20th century nouveau cultural phenomenons. Even in Miami, all of that is uniquely associated with Miami culture moreso than a traditionally widespread Southern culture(well, except for the grills). Black Southern culture is so far beyond gold, fronts, cars, etc.
As someone from MD who works in NoVa and still finds VA to be a Southern state as a whole, I don't find much of traditional South in NoVa at all. I don't know what feel you're talking about. Arlington feels in most places like a mid-Atantic combination of New Jersey without the Itailians and Maryland. The buildings looks like it, it's dense and walkable with transit everywhere and cold half the year. On the very far reaches of NoVa out in Manassas or Stafford you could say there are traces, but the rest of it is just Eastern American suburbia IMO. Growing up 25-30 years ago I would be more inclined to say NoVa had traces of the traditional South, but everything has been pushed out much further now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 01:17 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
As someone from MD who works in NoVa and still finds VA to be a Southern state as a whole, I don't find much of traditional South in NoVa at all. I don't know what feel you're talking about. Arlington feels in most places like a mid-Atantic combination of New Jersey without the Itailians and Maryland. The buildings looks like it, it's dense and walkable with transit everywhere and cold half the year. On the very far reaches of NoVa out in Manassas or Stafford you could say there are traces, but the rest of it is just Eastern American suburbia IMO. Growing up 25-30 years ago I would be more inclined to say NoVa had traces of the traditional South, but everything has been pushed out much further now.

I agree with this. Places like Stafford and Leesburg do have a bit of a southern feel and culture, but as yuou mentioned they are kind of the exception now.

Old 11-24-2019, 01:20 PM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
The NY Influence in SoFlo has significantly declined ... I can attest to that.

Old 11-24-2019, 01:31 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
The NY Influence in SoFlo has significantly declined ... I can attest to that.
I couldn't agree more. It's been replaced by nouveau Florida/International hybrid cultures. Some of which may include Southern culture. But overall an amalgamation of alot of outside influences. This poll could be a tie. And that wouldn't be wrong. I don't know..

Old 11-24-2019, 01:47 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
I'm not saying that they do myself, I'm just saying that their presence often causes others to do so. Which I don't blame, because Hispanics are absent within many depictions of the South. Not only that, the Hispanics in Houston and Dallas are Mexicans from NorMex, a trait only found elsewhere in the SW US.

No, it's more that many people think of the South in the stereotypical, "Gone With The Wind" sense. Hispanics are pretty much absent in that depiction, and because of their sheer presence in Dallas and Houston, people often don't view those cities as "traditionally Southern."

Indeed, if I walk around Houston right now, it feels more like a "Gulf Coast version" of Los Angeles, demographics-wise. Apart from climate and scenery, there's none of that old-timey "Southern" charm to be seen.

So, it's sort of an enigma. Many people are arguing against NoVa's southerness on basis of cultural change from NE US transplants. And so, on that note, I don't see how a similar case can't be made for Houston, Dallas, and Miami with their Hispanic populations.

Gone with the Wind? Do people know what year it is??? Things have changed. Yep, they sure have. I hear they let the "coloured folks" sit with the "hwite folks" at the Waffle House now!

My fiance is a Texan from Mexican roots. His family has lived in Texas for generations. His grandmother was born in Uvalde, Texas and makes sweet tea out in the sun just like many other grandmothers in the South. The South is a big ass region and has a lot of diversity. It's not some shallow Hollywood stereotype.

Old 11-24-2019, 02:00 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Gone with the Wind? Do people know what year it is??? Things have changed. Yep, they sure have. I hear they let the "coloured folks" sit with the "hwite folks" at the Waffle House now!

My fiance is a Texan from Mexican roots. His family has lived in Texas for generations. His grandmother was born in Uvalde, Texas and makes sweet tea out in the sun just like many other grandmothers in the South. The South is a big ass region and has a lot of diversity. It's not some shallow Hollywood stereotype.
Exactly lol. I really don't think the "Hispanics=not Southern" thing makes any sense. Nor do I think most younger people think like that

Old 11-24-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You can get from Miami to the Bahamas in a couple of hours by boat. Cuba is also only 90miles from Key West. Miami/SoFla is closer to the caribbean than it is to the Georgia boarder. You can get from Houston or Dallas to Mexico by bus in a few hours. Literally, get a passport hop on a greyhound and get to the boarder in a few Hours. Other Southern states don't have such easy access to other countries the way that Miami, Dallas and Houston do. And this proximity largely effects the overall culture of these cities. This is unique to Texas and Florida.

I'm 5 hours from the Canadian border. Does this make Minnesota less Midwestern?

Old 11-24-2019, 02:32 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I'm 5 hours from the Canadian border. Does this make Minnesota less Midwestern?
Apples to oranges.

Old 11-24-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Houston and Dallas are still major cities with Hispanic pluralities. The suburbs are also filled with Hispanics

Hispanics which are just as Americanised as anyone else. One of the thickest southern twangs I've heard came from an old Mexican man named Jose in Denton, Texas. Not that you need a southern twang to be a southerner, but it sure don't hurt

Even the immigrants from Mexico, they do assimilate into US life, and what region do you think influences them the most? New England???

Old 11-24-2019, 11:36 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I have a feeling you're not that familiar with either Miami or Ft Lauderdale
I've been to Ft. Lauderdale 5 times and it felt nothing like New York or New Jersey
I’ve come to the same conclusion on just about every post regarding South Florida. I’ve been to Fort Lauderdale ten times, and most of that has been in the last 5 years. I’ve only been to Miami twice once was for a specific event and once just flying in and out to go to Key West (which had a Southern vibe to me).

Fort Lauderdale is sort of hard to pin down. Most of the people I interact with when I’m down there are other people on vacation and most of the people I meet that live there moved there recently, but even from that I haven’t noticed them to be overwhelming from the Northeast. They come from all over, and I’ve met a lot of Europeans there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City