Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 01:17 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,738 times

Advertisements

Charlotte, NC should have been included on the list. Definitely overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 01:25 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,575,707 times
Detroit is kind of like Chicago, except much worse. The city is a complete failure.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:33 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Charlotte, NC should have been included on the list. Definitely overrated.
As a place to travel to? Who really rates Charlotte high as a place for a vacation? I don't know anyone who'd go there outside people already living in the Southeast...

Old 04-16-2013, 01:36 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,738 times
Exactly......just dont see the hoopla about NC...NC can be very conservative, very staunch. If you are into the family thing and driving your kid(s) to soccer/basketball practice..this is the state for you. Lame nightlife, lame cultural and arts scene.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:01 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I thought Houston now holds that esteemed spot.
Nope. Houston is not in the top five

Last edited by HtownLove; 04-17-2013 at 05:50 AM..

Old 04-17-2013, 05:02 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Exactly......just dont see the hoopla about NC...NC can be very conservative, very staunch. If you are into the family thing and driving your kid(s) to soccer/basketball practice..this is the state for you. Lame nightlife, lame cultural and arts scene.
Clearly you're feeding at the stereotype trough and have never visited North Carolina.

Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, Asheville, Greensboro/Winston-Salem and Charlotte have fairly significant arts/cultural scenes if one has any familiarity with them. Nightlife isn't what you'll find in big cities elsewhere but certainly isn't non-existent or lame.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:05 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
I don't really put much stock in this writer's opinion but I'm a little disappointed that some posters familiar with NC seem to be agreeing with his description of Asheville. I'm planning a roadtrip to The South this May and Asheville was on the list to visit, but at least I can be sure the Mountains and scenery won't disappoint.

Completely disagree on Chicago and San Francisco, although I appreciate his points on Detroit.

Last edited by JMT; 04-17-2013 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: Discuss North American cities only.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:43 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
What does it have that most every other big city doesn't? Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge? Every city has their own man made structures that people enjoy seeing. NYC is just another big city that is over hyped all the time. However, if you're all about celebrities and all of that non sense I can see why people love it.
I agree.

New York is the nation's largest city and has many wonderful things to see and do, but to me many New Yorkers seem arrogant about their city being the only city that matters.

But while New York has just about everything and anything people want in a big city, it is an old city and a good part of its infrastructure is outdated.

Most freeways there are narrow two-three laned expressways, traffic is horrendous.

Many streets, bridges, tunnels, and subways are in need of repair or replacement.

It's a very crowded city, similar to the cramped conditions in many eastern Asian cities, way too crowded for me and most people who want a little space.

New York has a lot of fabulous things for both tourists and residents but so do other cities in America and the world. It's very overrated and those people who label it America's greatest city should realize that's strictly an opinion.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:27 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I don't really put much stock in this writer's opinion but I'm a little disappointed that some posters familiar with NC seem to be agreeing with his description of Asheville. I'm planning a roadtrip to The South this May and Asheville was on the list to visit, but at least I can be sure the Mountains and scenery won't disappoint.
Asheville's a fine town for a stop. I just sort of reminds me of a nice medium sized college town--I last visited in the early fall and it still seemed fairly sleepy(though this was few years back). It's got a decent little downtown for it's size and all the bars and restaurants you'd expect in a fairly gentrified college town(though outside the main areas or the tourist sights like the Biltmore it was pretty average). Of all the places though I've been to in the South, it was the one place that felt closer to what I'm used to out west in some ways. The thing is though if you go along the Blue Ridge Parkway you're going to go right through the edge of Asheville anyhow--so I'd think that everyone would just stop there anyways. The Biltmore is of course touristy, but all the same--it's pretty impressive, reminded me of chateaus I saw in France. The surrounding mountains are great, and there's interesting little viewpoints or hikes along the way--along with some real, old school Appalachian towns if you get further out.

Last edited by JMT; 04-17-2013 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: North American places only, please.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:52 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,595,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
New York is the nalso,tion's largest city and has many wonderful things to see and do, but to me many New Yorkers seem arrogant about their city being the only city that matters.

But while New York has just about everything and anything people want in a big city, it is an old city and a good part of its infrastructure is outdated.

Most freeways there are narrow two-three laned expressways, traffic is horrendous.

Many streets, bridges, tunnels, and subways are in need of repair or replacement.
True.
Unfortunately.

Quote:
It's a very crowded city, similar to the cramped conditions in many eastern Asian cities, way too crowded for me and most people who want a little space.
Wrong. Even Manhattan has several quiet areas: Brooklyn, Queens and Bronx aren't overcrowded... Also, I guess you have never been in Asia: compared to asian cities, Midtown Manhattan is a quiet scandinavian town.

Quote:
New York has a lot of fabulous things for both tourists and residents but so do other cities in America and the world. It's very overrated and those people who label it America's greatest city should realize that's strictly an opinion.
NYC is USA greatest city for its importance on countless things: a fact. You may not like it, but that doesn't change anything...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City