Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 03:28 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times

Advertisements

I think Austin is painfully overrated as well. I really don't understand what's so great about it. But visiting Chicago over Detroit gave me a good laugh. I've visited both in the past 5 months and going back to Detroit a second time would be one more time too many. I think Pyongyang is probably less depressing than Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 04:29 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times
I actually agree with a lot of that. I find SF, Denver, Austin, and Asheville to all be overrated (even though I liked both Austin and SF, I just didn't like them as much as other people seemed to think I should).

Gotta disagree on Chicago though. I've only been once, but I absolutely loved it there.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:45 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
I agree about Utah: who in his right mind could go there?
And obviously you haven't been there. I work in tourism and let me tell you... People come here expecting ugly, boring, unfriendly, etc. and they leave loving the place. And that's the truth.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:08 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
I've been to Vancouver, SF, Chicago, and Denver.

Out of those 4 I think only Denver is overrated as far as visiting unless you include ski resorts hours away. Vancouver is a cool place to visit but probably not for more than 4-5 days max imo. While I think SF is a tad overrated as far as a place to live it's definitely a great city to visit.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:31 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
San Francisco is overrated, so you should visit the Bay Area instead? Yeah, makes a lot of sense.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:39 AM

502 posts, read 717,686 times
Detroit > Chicago?
Utah > Colorado?

This journalist should be fired before something even more stupid comes out of his mouth.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:58 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
Detroit > Chicago?
Utah > Colorado?

This journalist should be fired before something even more stupid comes out of his mouth.
All the writer was doing was the typical travel editorial thing of "These places are popular and everyone goes there, but here's a few slightly less known and not as travelled and possibly cheaper alternatives." Though not really, since they suggested the very popular Hawaii over Costa Rica and the very overhyped Prague over Berlin. But it's just a "slaying sacred cows" sort of piece--similar to when rock journalists write the Top 10 list of overrated albums and put The Beatles' Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Band at the top of the list and people get upset. And of course everyone on CityData sees a list calling places overrated(which means you were very highly rated to begin with) and takes it too seriously and get their panties in a bunch.

I do find if funny that people are so seriously offended by the assumption that Utah might be as good a destination as Colorado---must not be a lot of serious skiers on here. I'll take Snowbird/Alta as a place as good as if not better than anywhere in Colorado. Plus the National Parks and landscape in Southern Utah is far more unique than Colorado--the Rockies are great, but you can get similar scenery all over the west in places like Wyoming or Montana or Idaho with less crowds.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:41 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Of course it's improved. Maybe you haven't been to Denver when the air quality was good? I mean, it does transition back and forth from great quality, to somewhat bad quality. The thing is, Denver doesn't have a natural barrier on the east, so the smog gets cleared out pretty fast (unless there's a forest fire).
You're not getting it. I'm asking whether the level of carbon emissions has been reduced in the Denver area, to which I'm highly highly skeptical (mainly because I haven't yet heard of an American zero-emission city). If you have evidence that would be helpful. I'm interested in this kind of thing, and it's also a part of my career.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:44 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Maybe anyone who likes skiing on the best powder in the US or hiking in the most interesting national parks in the country...
I don't think Utah is greater than Colorado (actually, I don't hold a strong opinion about either state or their cities), but I DO think Salt Lake City is prettier than Denver, in that it is surrounded by tall mountains that are VERY close to the city.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:19 PM

87 posts, read 229,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
All the writer was doing was the typical travel editorial thing of "These places are popular and everyone goes there, but here's a few slightly less known and not as travelled and possibly cheaper alternatives." Though not really, since they suggested the very popular Hawaii over Costa Rica and the very overhyped Prague over Berlin. But it's just a "slaying sacred cows" sort of piece--similar to when rock journalists write the Top 10 list of overrated albums and put The Beatles' Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Band at the top of the list and people get upset. And of course everyone on CityData sees a list calling places overrated(which means you were very highly rated to begin with) and takes it too seriously and get their panties in a bunch.
What was different about this article was the snide, insulting, know-it-all tone of the article. Yes, many rock journalists write with that tone, but your typical travel piece is not that angry and bitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City