Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The Phillies would never allow the A's to move into their market, get real.
Yeah, I was going to say that...a team like the Phillies would be even worse than Giants in trying to defend their territory against a new team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 11:59 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I factor in the population you draw from, how well they draw compared to how well or how bad the team is and for how long.

NYC? Are you kidding? 20-30 million people to draw from and a payroll two-three times everybody else in baseball. Pretty easy to draw fans there. Mets should draw better than they do when they have the population of the smallest five metros combined within five miles of the place. The Mets are not "that" bad and even if they were, they have no excuse not to draw. The Yankees should win the world series every year with their payroll and while they woefully underperform they are usually competitive and in the pennant race ever year yet don't sell out.

Meanwhile, Milwaukee does not even have 2 million people in its entire metro and consistently averages 35,000 a game even though they rarely really compete and go to the playoffs.

That’s a baseball town. NYC? ha
Compare the cost of going to a Yankees game and a Brewers game.

I would put Tampa in the bottom, as one of the 3 or 4 worst baseball cities. They have had competitive teams over the last several years, cheap ticket prices, and yet they still cannot draw big crowds unless the Red Sox, Tigers, White Sox and Yankees are in town.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:01 PM

144 posts, read 270,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Aging stadium? Camden Yards was build in the early 90's.
I could be wrong, but I believe the Orioles lease at Camden Yards expires in 2021, which really isn't all that far away. Camden Yards is still definitely in good enough shape where a lease extension, coupled with some light modifications, could probably easily add another 15-30 years onto the usefulness of the park.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:35 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I don't think Portland will ever get Major League Baseball.

Portland attracts young people, the demographic that has lost a good deal of interest in baseball.

Baseball is still relatively popular with the younger residents of the Northeast. Unfortunately, Portland would play in a western division, giving them less home games against teams that young in-migrants from the east coast would want to see.

I strongly disagree. Take a look at Oregon State and Univ of Oregon baseball for example. Portland would be a great Major League baseball city. Those young people will be there in droves sipping microbrews in the sunshine. I would guess Oregon is better baseball territory than upstate NY. My upstate NY cousins played soccer, lacrosse, and hockey while I grew up playing football, baseball, and basketball in the NW.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:44 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,756 times
If we are thinking "outside the box", I'd say Mexico City would be a promising MLB market.

Huge population, and Mexico is quite familiar with beisbol (and a source of a lot of talent).

Old 04-29-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Seattle seems to have turned its back on their team. They have a great downtown ballpark and solid population base. They need to chill out on their MLS team and be careful not to lose their MLB team haha. They lost the NBA and don’t have NHL. Weird sports market, but I don’t see the Mariners moving anytime soon.
The NBA team in Seattle was stolen, not lost. Expect the NBA and NHL in Seattle soon.

The fans in Seattle are boycotting Mariners leadership, Chuck Armstrong and Howard Lincoln. They are terrible stewards of the team and @--holes in the community. The Mariners have been trying to block the Sonics return, so fans like me are not giving them a dime until Lincoln-Armstrong have been dumped or the team is sold to one of the minority partners.

A bunch of $ was dumped into Safeco Field this off season and the team just formed an RSN with DirecTV. They are again one of the richest teams in baseball and are not moving anywhere.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:11 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,094,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I strongly disagree. Take a look at Oregon State and Univ of Oregon baseball for example. Portland would be a great Major League baseball city. Those young people will be there in droves sipping microbrews in the sunshine. I would guess Oregon is better baseball territory than upstate NY. My upstate NY cousins played soccer, lacrosse, and hockey while I grew up playing football, baseball, and basketball in the NW.

You're right about Oregon being a better baseball area than upstate New York. And I wish that you were right about the rest but I just don't see it.

In a smaller market with less promotional opportunity, a Portland franchise would either have to overpay players to become competitive or practice that deadly dull Moneyball strategy of taking a kazillion pitches and hitting three run homers.

I don't think Portland, which supports a soccer team that plays games in under two hours has the attention span to watch three to four hour baseball games.

Last edited by SyraBrian; 04-29-2013 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: syntax

Old 04-29-2013, 01:21 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
If we are thinking "outside the box", I'd say Mexico City would be a promising MLB market.

Huge population, and Mexico is quite familiar with beisbol (and a source of a lot of talent).
That is very intriguing.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I don't think Portland, which supports a soccer team that plays games in under two hours has the attention span to watch three to four hour baseball games.
Then why the high TV ratings for baseball? Why two top 10 college baseball teams in the area?

MLB in Portland would be a success. Great summer weather, no serious sports competition as MLS is a minor sport in Portland. They talk way more MLB and college baseball on sports radio than soccer.

The area is growing, they produce MLB players, they produce NCAA championship teams, and they watch the sport on TV. MLB as the 2nd major sports franchise in Portland would do real well. They could also partner with Comcast and make a ton of $ with an RSN that competes with the Mariners/DirecTV partnership.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:28 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
I prefer expansion to relocation, market feasibility with division alignment notwithstanding.

Too bad it's out of the question for the time period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City