Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 10:22 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Aren't the communities and cities south of Downtown Miami relatively nicer and wealthier than one's north of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 10:24 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times
Okay, so what I'm reading of Philly is that Philly is another NYC style anomaly because it is so patched with neighborhoods that whole areas can't be generalized?

Many of the huge cities are like that. LA, Chicago and San Fran are also like that.

However I'm also reading that Southwest Philly is bad. So it sort of still holds to the theory, except...
Well, no it doesn't IF people in Philly have always held North Philly as the more dangerous side of town.

But still, the question is, with MOST cities, WHY South side? There are a slim few exceptions IT SEEMS.

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Anyone have insight into WHY the South side is usually the rough side???
Something to do with the way most cities were built around Industry/Ports and the more affluent development occurring away/north of there?

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Oakland/East Bay
East Oakland, is the area with the bad reputation, but East Oakland is varied as some areas are quite pleasant and others quite unpleasant.

The term 'East Bay' is a region of which Oakland is the largest city and the term 'East Bay' refers to 2-counties(Alameda and Contra Costa), home to 2.6 million people and is very diverse socio-economically, lots of poor, lots of middle class, lots of wealth, some areas undesirable, others extremely desirable.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Aren't the communities and cities south of Downtown Miami relatively nicer and wealthier than one's north of it?
I don't know... I've only ever been around downtown Miami, out to Miami Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, and down to Homestead, FL which IS south of Miami and a bit of a pit! I have no idea, but I don't THINK Homestead is considered Miami metro... Is it?
If south Miami is anything like Homestead, I'd have to guess it is trashy.

Whenever I've been to Miami, it was on vacation! So, I saw had no interest in exploring hoods. Lol.
Homestead was a work trip.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:30 AM

787 posts, read 1,696,650 times
Quote:
Okay, so what I'm reading of Philly is that Philly is another NYC style anomaly because it is so patched with neighborhoods that whole areas can't be generalized?

Many of the huge cities are like that. LA, Chicago and San Fran are also like that.

However I'm also reading that Southwest Philly is bad. So it sort of still holds to the theory, except...
Well, no it doesn't IF people in Philly have always held North Philly as the more dangerous side of town.

But still, the question is, with MOST cities, WHY South side? There are a slim few exceptions IT SEEMS.
Philly is even more anomalous than those cities you mentioned because you can't generalize Philadelphia at all in terms of safety and desireability. In most American cities, you can point to sections of town and generalize about how safe/generally wealthy it is. Except for center city (and arguably some sections of NW Philly), Philadelphia is a difficult city to peg. It's truly neighborhood by neighborhood and often block by block.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:32 AM

787 posts, read 1,696,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Something to do with the way most cities were built around Industry/Ports and the more affluent development occurring away/north of there?
Most rivers flow south. If you have industrial wastes and other byproducts flowing, you wouldn't want to end up downstream (south) of that.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
East Oakland, is the area with the bad reputation, but East Oakland is varied as some areas are quite pleasant and others quite unpleasant.

The term 'East Bay' is a region of which Oakland is the largest city and the term 'East Bay' refers to 2-counties(Alameda and Contra Costa), home to 2.6 million people and is very diverse socio-economically, lots of poor, lots of middle class, lots of wealth, some areas undesirable, others extremely desirable.
Thanks.
I once lived in EAST Palo Alto (considered to be the rougher side of Palo Alto. Lol... Silly huh?).
And when there, we referred to "East Bay" as being the rougher side of the Bay Area... Were we wrong?
All I knew was, I had a cousin living near downtown Oakland, and when visiting her, I was ALWAYS cautioned before going over to East Bay.

We also (from where we stood) also looked at Richmond as being East Bay, and thought of Richmond as being THE HOOD. For us, if it wasn't on the Peninsula (and wasn't down in Jose) it was considered East Bay.

Last edited by Psykomonkee; 08-08-2013 at 10:44 AM..

Old 08-08-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Philly is even more anomalous than those cities you mentioned because you can't generalize Philadelphia at all in terms of safety and desireability. In most American cities, you can point to sections of town and generalize about how safe/generally wealthy it is. Except for center city (and arguably some sections of NW Philly), Philadelphia is a difficult city to peg. It's truly neighborhood by neighborhood and often block by block.
Okay. So like, though Chicago is bigger and also is very patchy with neighborhoods, you still can sort of generalize South Chi against North Chi... Same with LA with being able to generalize East LA & South LA vs West Hollywood and North LA...
But you can't do that in Philly? Wow... Ok.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:40 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Thanks.
I once lived in EAST Palo Alto (considered to be the rougher side of Palo Alto. Lol... Silly huh?).
And when there, we referred to "East Bay" as being the rougher side of the Bay Area... Were we wrong?
All I knew is, I had a cousin living near downtown Oakland, and when visiting her, I was ALWAYS cautioned before going over to East Bay.

We also (from where we stood) also looked at Richmond as being East Bay, and thought of Richmond as being THE HOOD. For us, if it wasn't on the Peninsula (and wasn't down in Jose) it was considered East Bay.
The East Bay is way to big to generalize:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City