Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 12:24 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

I could be wrong but I think St. Louis is another one where the Southside is the more affluent side and the northside is the poorer side. Memphis too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 12:28 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Isn't Arlington Heights and Hillside considered NW Portland neighborhoods? My partner's uncle has an 11,000 s.f. turn of the century mansion up there and it's in a pretty nice neighborhood to say the least!
The nicest neighborhoods are in the West Hills which are predominately west of downtown and to the south of it. The affluent neighborhoods stretch south all the way down into and through Lake Oswego.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:46 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,735,306 times
Thanks for the good responses and input

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The only thing that can be clearly delineated is that people on the Peninsula tend to be snobby and out of touch with reality. LOLJK
No need to "JK," I know... Although my Bay area family isn't a wealthy one, they sure did have a way of looking down on East Bay. My cousin's place near downtown Oakland is awesome! Clean. The area looks nice and is quiet. Near a nice park. But they talked about her living in Oakland as if she lived in Iraq. Like she was sure to die over there sooner or later... Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
St. Louis fits what you're looking for. The North side of the city is the bad side, the South is more middle class, and the West is the wealthiest.
Wow... Did not know that. Very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
In St. Louis, the south side is supposed to be the nice side.
Okay, so consensus says that North St. Louis is dangerous... But now that leads me to a new question.......

If people are saying that in Industrial River cities, where the waste flows south with the river, that can credit to why many cities have less affluent South Sides, then what happened in Saint Louis?

Is it wrong if I am under the assumption that Saint Louis is an industrial city? I thought it was. It is most definitely a River city, so if it is also an industrial city, shouldn't that theory hold up in Saint Louis???

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Also most weather patterns flow from the west to the east, therefore air pollution tends to follow typical wind movement and in industrial cities it would seem to be better (and therefore wealthier) to be generally west of factories and industrial areas so I bet this will prove to be true as far as more desirable areas in those types of cities.
Now that is another interesting point... Hmmm... But then.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yep, Northwest Miami-Dade is home 2 most of Dade County's most notorious ghettos..
People say that NW Miami is where the ghettos are. Hmmm... If the weather patterns flow from west to .............. WAIT! Weather patters are different in Miami, huh? storms always come in off the coast from the SE, so that MAY or should mean most weather there flows from SE to NW... Then that would explain that all the plants and industry pollution flows up towards NW Miami down there... huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I could be wrong but I think St. Louis is another one where the Southside is the more affluent side and the northside is the poorer side. Memphis too.
Okay, so after all the good responses, I'm seeing that the observation is CLEARLY highly flawed...
There are a LOT more cities than I had realized that are more affluent on the South side than the north side, unless this affluence is due to gentrification, then that's not fair.

I'm thinking a better name for this thread might have been to explain which sides of your city are more ghetto and more affluent, and WHY you think that is...

Old 08-08-2013, 12:48 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
I see my point was already mentioned so my bad to CeaserSTL.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:16 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,592 times
PsychoMonkee your old home town, EPA, was the U.S. murder cap in 1992 - 172.7 homicides per 100,000 residents.

Homicides have decreased dramatically since then though.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:44 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,735,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
PsychoMonkee your old home town, EPA, was the U.S. murder cap in 1992 - 172.7 homicides per 100,000 residents.

Homicides have decreased dramatically since then though.

Okay okay okay... That's enough with the EPA bashing... Goodness...
I really had NO idea it was ever THAT bad. I didn't even know other people looked at EPA as being that bad... It felt a whole lot better to me than the other places I had lived prior.

And for the record, I was only there for a short time in my youth. My "official" hometown is still Atlanta... Let's not mistake that.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:46 PM

282 posts, read 472,003 times
I know south Charlotte is more desirable than the north. I could be wrong about this one but Houston has some very nice suburbs on it's southside, but city proper, I'm not too sure. As for SA, stay north

Old 08-08-2013, 01:48 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,409 times
the Southern parts of Orange County

Old 08-08-2013, 01:50 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,719,580 times
In Canada, Calgary and Winnipeg have wealthier south sides than north sides.

Though I'd say more common is the east/west divide with the west being more affluent and the east being poorer and more working class. Certainly true of Montreal, Vancouver and Ottawa - and with a qualifier I'd say Toronto.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:52 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,916,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I'm noticing that (as it seems to me) pretty much any city you go to, the South Side of town is supposed to be more dangerous, more ghetto, more run down, etc... And the North Side of most towns seems to be the more affluent side.

South Philly vs North Philly

You have it completely switched. South Philly has one bad area (Point Breeze). North Philly is the rundown dangerous area of the two.

In Pittsburgh, there are 3 zones south of the city.

Southside(SS Flats, SS Slopes) - relatively affluent, nightlife scene, very bustling.
Hilltop(Knoxville, Allentown, Beltzhoover) - rundown, dangerous, heading farther down.
South Hills(city-Brookline, Banksville, Overbrook) - not affluent by any means, but very safe and blue collar area.

Northside Pittsburgh has some of the worst areas in the city (Northview Heights, Fineview, Perry Hilltop, and Shadeland). However, the suburbs are some of the wealthiest in the metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City