Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
Chicago 113 31.04%
Los Angeles 251 68.96%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:30 AM

437 posts, read 628,910 times

Advertisements

Chicagoans just can't let it go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 10:35 AM

135 posts, read 179,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Bueno View Post
Since the LA metro considers movie stars to be the end all be all of culture, I think Philip Seymour Hoffman said it best....

“It is my strong desire . . . that my son Cooper Hoffman be raised and reside in or near the borough of Manhattan,” Hoffman wrote in his will, which was unveiled Wednesday.
If not New York, Hoffman wrote, then “Chicago, Illinois or San Francisco, California.”
And if girlfriend Marianne (Mimi) O’Donnell “cannot reside in any of such cities, then it is my strong desire” that Cooper “visit these cities at least twice a year.”
“The purpose of this request is so that my son will be exposed to the culture, art and architecture that such cities offer,” the papers state.
Noticeably not on the will was Los Angeles, the city where Hoffman launched his movie career.
[LEFT]
Read more: Philip Seymour Hoffman's will reveals actor left much of $35M estate to longtime girlfriend Mimi O'Donnell* - NY Daily News
[/LEFT]
Wow. One heroin-addled actor from New York wants his now fatherless child to reside in a city or two he likes. I'd dare say you cracked the case, Sir. Do you have any similarly sharp insights into the respective wills of Amy Winehouse or Chris Farley?

Overdose wisdom aside, Los Angeles is without question a far greater originator of "culture" and is far better known and readily perceived by people worldwide. No comparison whatsoever, unless perhaps you live in the Midwest. Chicago is a great city and I think any trip to America must include it to be thorough. Los Angeles is something else entirely, and just because it does not have a tourist-friendly "downtown" with a few chain restaurants and a chain piano bar does not at all diminish its transcendent status.

The only North American city this debate even applies to is New York (which wins). An argument can be made for the Bay Area. That's it.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:36 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
I know I make my most important life decisions on the advice of some guy who died with a needle in his arm.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:37 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,624 times
Quote:
Jw from the outside, is this thread the reason you're posting such nonsense in the Chicago/SF thread? Hmmm, I wonder who has trouble letting things go...

Old 04-08-2014, 10:42 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
Since the LA metro considers movie stars to be the end all be all of culture, I think Philip Seymour Hoffman said it best....

“It is my strong desire . . . that my son Cooper Hoffman be raised and reside in or near the borough of Manhattan,” Hoffman wrote in his will, which was unveiled Wednesday.
If not New York, Hoffman wrote, then “Chicago, Illinois or San Francisco, California.”
And if girlfriend Marianne (Mimi) O’Donnell “cannot reside in any of such cities, then it is my strong desire” that Cooper “visit these cities at least twice a year.”
“The purpose of this request is so that my son will be exposed to the culture, art and architecture that such cities offer,” the papers state.
Noticeably not on the will was Los Angeles, the city where Hoffman launched his movie career.
[LEFT]
Read more: Philip Seymour Hoffman's will reveals actor left much of $35M estate to longtime girlfriend Mimi O'Donnell* - NY Daily News
[/LEFT]
Because the opinion of a guy that died in his bathroom with a needle in his arm should be highly regarded and used as the basis for an argument.

Also, its not people in the LA metro that consider movie stars to be the "end all be all of culture". You're thinking of midwesterners. Do you really think a production assistant, editor, set designer, sound engineer, or 3D artist can't wait to get home from a hard days work so they can flop down on the couch and watch TV? Do you like thinking about work right after you've gotten home from the office? Angelenos are the ones making the sausage. When they're not working, they have better things to do than consume the content they create - especially given all the actual cultural institutions out here and to choose from. We have more than double the number of museums that San Francisco has, arguably the best music scene in the country, not to mention ridiculously diverse geography and climate for one metro area, with all the year round outdoor activities that come with that.

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 04-08-2014 at 10:53 AM..

Old 04-08-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Jw from the outside, is this thread the reason you're posting such nonsense in the Chicago/SF thread? Hmmm, I wonder who has trouble letting things go...
Why would I have trouble letting go when Chicago got destroyed in this thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Quote:
Why would I have trouble letting go when Chicago got destroyed in this thread
Reading comprehension fail...

Old 04-08-2014, 11:05 AM

I took it as if I had something against Chicago due to this thread, when its quite the opposite, Chicago can't even beat a city many times smaller.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:01 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
LA is definitely more known to international tourists, but that doesn't mean they don't know about Chicago. Most people are drawn to LA for the Hollywood thing, for the most part, and beaches.

Also the data from international arrivals by city will not be 100% accurate. This is basically counting people flying in internationally, but there are many international travelers who travel domestically once they're in the US too. Really no different than other large countries in the world. Anybody who's been to big countries like Canada, Mexico, Turkey, Japan, China, Brazil, etc for long enough will tell you it happens a lot. Same as the US.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:55 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:

[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Very interesting will. I'm glad that Mr. Hoffman realizes there is a world outside of LA, and it is not the end all be all of American culture.

This is something I think people of a lot of big cities get caught up in. There is an extremely high number of people from large cities that just can't cope, or can't cope well living outside of those cities. Someone living in New York City would have a very difficult time adjusting to a small or medium sized city in the South East. Also, the way homers talk up their home cities shows how little they travel and expose themselves to other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City