Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
Chicago 113 31.04%
Los Angeles 251 68.96%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 11:22 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Does this upset you?
Yes I'm absolutely furious.

Something must immediately be done about these imposters rigging this poll.

In fact its the most important thing that needs to be done right now in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 12:09 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Yes I'm absolutely furious.

Something must immediately be done about these imposters rigging this poll.

In fact its the most important thing that needs to be done right now in my life.
It would upset me too. Who could be crazy enough to vote for Chicago over Los Angeles? What were they smoking?

Old 11-13-2013, 12:14 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,084 times
LA has a lot of haters. It's really not a surprise. I'm suprised LA is this far ahead given the amount of haters it has. So it's still impressive.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:14 PM

281 posts, read 472,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
LA has a lot of haters. It's really not a surprise. I'm suprised LA is this far ahead given the amount of haters it has. So it's still impressive.
Actually it was more of a landslide a week ago, in one day it gained like 20 votes, probably coldailment

Old 11-14-2013, 04:44 AM

391 posts, read 753,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
You think only 10% of the world has heard of Hollywood?

I think most of the people even somewhere like Nigeria have heard of Hollywood.

In most of the world, excepting extreme elderly or isolated, I think recognition of Hollywood is close to 100%.
Hollywood maybe, but not Rodeo Drive.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:23 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
I never heard of Rodeo drive before I moved to the states . I I knew L.A. for Hollywood pretty much. I knew about Chicago because of Al Capone and the whole mobster thing.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 11-14-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I never heard of Rodeo drive before I moved to the states . I I knew L.A. for Hollywood pretty much. I knew about Chicago because of Al Capone and the whole mobster thing.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
I thought about bringing that up. Chicago is infamous for its criminal history. All the speakeasies and organized crime centered around alcohol back in the 1920's and 1930's. John Dillinger and Al Capone are both pretty famous criminals of the time. Chicago also has a history and a bit of infamy with internal city corruption. Some people said Daley had mob connections, or had a very informal way of dealing with things and or people. Don't know how world renowned that makes Chicago, but I'm sure more than just a few people are familiar with that.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:54 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I thought about bringing that up. Chicago is infamous for its criminal history. All the speakeasies and organized crime centered around alcohol back in the 1920's and 1930's. John Dillinger and Al Capone are both pretty famous criminals of the time. Chicago also has a history and a bit of infamy with internal city corruption. Some people said Daley had mob connections, or had a very informal way of dealing with things and or people. Don't know how world renowned that makes Chicago, but I'm sure more than just a few people are familiar with that.
If you go into a dt walgreens in Chicago, probably 1/4 of the souvenirs are gangster related, 1/4 are sports related, 1/4 have some image of the skyline, and 1/4 are just random. I could probably give somebody a watered down version of Chicago history just by walking in one of the dt targets, here look at these souvenirs, here are all the cubbies/sox/blackhawks/bulls/bears paraphanelia, here is a 5 pound box of italian beef, here is some giardenera, here is some vienna beef hot dogs and poppy seed buns, here is a gino's east frozen deep dish pizza, and here is a single slice of Eli's cheesecake in the cooler, thanks for visiting, have fun on your way home. Oh, and check out the Rahm Emanuel sign on your way out of the Chicago skyway for current events.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:56 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
I find that a bit puzzling, maybe during prohibition Chicago had more gangsters, but afterwards NYC had more mafia influence. Their businesses connections were rather large.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I find that a bit puzzling, maybe during prohibition Chicago had more gangsters, but afterwards NYC had more mafia influence. Their businesses connections were rather large.
True, but between Los Angeles and Chicago, Chicago has more of a history with famous criminals. You don't hear much about the Mafia in Chicago, I'm sure they exist, just aren't the same as the Mafia in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City