Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
Chicago 113 31.04%
Los Angeles 251 68.96%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Queens Boulevard was not all that impressive compared to Michigan Avenue and I've been to both. Yes, Queens is denser "over all" (when combined) compare to Chicago's neighborhoods but there are some neighborhoods of the borough that are also less urban than some of the neighborhoods in Chicago.
The residential density surrounding Queens Blvd is higher than Michigan Ave. Queens Blvd isn't a particularly interesting or attractive boulevard, and has the nickname "Boulevard of Death" from the frequent pedestrian-traffic accidents.* Bad 30s era design when the first auto-centric designs started — outdated, and fits poorly in a dense area.

*Found in the NYC forum:

Q: Is it safe to walk in this Queens neighborhood at night?
A: Yes, except for the Boulevard of Death

Queens is vary patchy, with some very dense areas, particularly in the NW part and near the subway lines, and some relatively suburban looking parts, especially in eastern Queens.

Quote:
Queens like the Bronx does have suburban like neighborhoods since not all of the borough is covered 100% with row homes and highrises on every single block. Here's one of the example areas to prove my point.
See the first three links I posted earlier in the thread, which were deliberately from the less dense, eastern Queens. Somewhat comparable to bungalow Chicago, or at least as close as you can get in NYC.

However, the neighborhood you picked is Rego Park. You found a less dense block, but overall it has lots of apartment buildings mixed in. CityData lists its density as 49k / sq mile, which would be denser than any neighborhood in Chicago (I think, if not it would be still near the top). As I said, Queens is patchy. I like the Tudor style of these Rego Park homes:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Cromw...,,0,-0.65&z=16

a dense street in Rego Park:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Cromw...6,,0,-4.9&z=16
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 10:29 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
However, the neighborhood you picked is Rego Park. You found a less dense block, but overall it has lots of apartment buildings mixed in. CityData lists its density as 49k / sq mile, which would be denser than any neighborhood in Chicago (I think, if not it would be still near the top). As I said, Queens is patchy. I like the Tudor style of these Rego Park homes
I only made the point that there are areas of the Queens with suburban like characteristics that appeared less urban than some of the neighborhoods like Wicker Park in Chicago. Parts of Rego Park does have it. No part of NYC with the exception Manhattan is 100% void of areas that do have suburban like characteristics which may include stripmalls or single family homes. I know they exist because I've seen some of them personally.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:39 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
I only made the point that there are areas of the Queens with suburban like characteristics that appeared less urban than some of the neighborhoods like Wicker Park in Chicago. Parts of Rego Park does have it. No part of NYC with the exception Manhattan is 100% void of areas that do have suburban like characteristics which may include stripmalls or single family homes. I know they exist because I've seen some of them personally.
Obviously. I never thought that would need to pointed out.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:51 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
More cultural, Chicago with all its museums, universities and the like, More iconic? No question at this point LA is with its movie history and recordings, Hollywood and Beverly Hills glam history, whether real or invented, and TV history with talk shows, game shows, etc, Also theme parks like Universal Studios and Disneyland add to this.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Obviously. I never thought that would need to pointed out.
Obviously! Other than that no city can match NYC in over all density development size even if LA and Chicago were combined as one city. Los Angeles/Chicago vs NYC. You could probably throw in some more cities.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:31 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Queens Boulevard was not all that impressive compared to Michigan Avenue and I've been to both. Yes, Queens is denser "over all" (when combined) compare to Chicago's neighborhoods but there are some neighborhoods of the borough that are also less urban than some of the neighborhoods in Chicago. Queens like the Bronx does have suburban like neighborhoods since not all of the borough is covered 100% with row homes and highrises on every single block. Here's one of the example areas to prove my point. Of course, you could turn the tables by posting an aerial only showing one part of the Queens with highrises leaving out the areas which have the suburban like characteristics (single family homes/drive ways). Now if we include "vertical" density beyond just street level density to include both office buildings and residential highrises (combined) only Manhattan would have more than Chicago.

This neighborhood is less urban
Queens > http://goo.gl/maps/ozKnQ

Than this
Chicago > http://goo.gl/maps/yMvwF

Not really sure what your point. I said "areas" of Queens are denser than *any* area of Chicago. Not that some areas of queens are less urban than Chicago's densest areas...

Flushing for example has 2-3x the pedestrian traffic as Michigan Avenue and I would wager has more ridership at their subway stop than any Chicago el stop as it is on the verge or in NYC's top 10 trafficked stops.

My point was, people often focus on Manhattan and write off the rest of the city, where as parts of even Queens are busier than most other cities downtown areas along with having denser residential.

Vertical density has little to do with busyness of a city and vibrancy, see Houston or anywhere in Europe for obvious counter examples on both sides. It's all about street level action, either an area has it or it doesn't.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Not really sure what your point. I said "areas" of Queens are denser than *any* area of Chicago. Not that some areas of queens are less urban than Chicago's densest areas...
Agreed. I originally mentioned Queens because I thought its less dense areas might bear a resemblance to the bungalow belt areas of Chicago or walkable neighborhoods of LA

Quote:
Flushing for example has 2-3x the pedestrian traffic as Michigan Avenue and I would wager has more ridership at their subway stop than any Chicago el stop as it is on the verge or in NYC's top 10 trafficked stops.
Flushing Main St gets 60,540 weekdays riders. However, the main reason its so high is its the end of the line, so lots people coming from further east via bus to transfer get on at the station, its service area is much more than what's in walking distance. Bit of a bad setup since the Flushing station is in a congested area, so it probably leads to bus delays.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post

My point was, people often focus on Manhattan and write off the rest of the city, where as parts of even Queens are busier than most other cities downtown areas along with having denser residential.

Vertical density has little to do with busyness of a city and vibrancy, see Houston or anywhere in Europe for obvious counter examples on both sides. It's all about street level action, either an area has it or it doesn't.
Your only talking about population density but I was talking about development density with the two links I posted to illustrate the difference in parts of Rego Park which is more suburban and less urban than parts of Wicker Park. There are some spots of the Queens that have these suburban like characteristics less urban than some neighborhoods in Chicago.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Your only talking about population density but I was talking about development density with the two links I posted to illustrate the difference in parts of Rego Park which is more suburban and less urban than parts of Wicker Park. There are some spots of the Queens that have these suburban like characteristics less urban than some neighborhoods in Chicago.
I was talking about both population density along with street level activity. People were talking about 24/7 vibrancy/pedestrian activity/etc.
So what does development density have to do with that? Obviously the loop is more built up than Queens, as an extreme example.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I wouldn't say Chicago's falls are terribly cold. Cooler than I was used to back in St. Louis, but not bad. The average highs are 63º and 49º for October and November respectively. It might be chilly early in the morning, but who's out doing "fabulously fun" fall things at 7 in the morning anyway?

Riding the L in December though, I'll agree that that's a kick in the teeth. Thank God for the heat lamps.
Most runners are, along with people going to work in the morning that need to be there at work by 8-9 then stand on an above ground el platform. This is why it is good to take the average low give or take... b/c I think most people are up scurrying around near when this temp hits or is at least within a degree or two tryin to mess w/ their car or walkin to th el.
The Heat lamps don't really help much, and not all platforms have enough room to get next to them, or even have them installed, the metra line I used to take (the busiest one on the entire system) did not have any heat or covering whatsoever. It's funny to watch everybody on the platform turn their backs and cover their face when a Metra train comes by at 60 mph in single digit temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City