Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
Chicago 113 31.04%
Los Angeles 251 68.96%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 08:16 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times

Advertisements

Yes it has a higher roof, but that isn't generally what tallest buildings officially go by, at least by the Council of Tall Buildings, the elders have spoken at the council .

This would be a non issue if the Chicago Spire wasn't botched though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 08:17 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodward1 View Post
No, NYC has the tallest building in the western hemisphere. NYC will have 6 of the 7 tallest once all buildings planned or u/c are completed.

No, the first one was filmed mostly in Pittsburgh. And the third one was filmed mostly in Detroit. So Pittsburgh and Detroit are global cities because a famous movie filmed there?

Because Chicago only has one big airport, and because Chicago, like Atlanta, is a big transfer hub. Places like NYC and LA have far more airport traffic, it's just divided into more airports, and it tends to be destination traffic rather than more transfers, as in Chicago and Atlanta.

And you're wrong anyways about overall airport traffic. LAX does come close to ORD. And JFK destroys ORD in terms of international traffic and % destination traffic.
Okay, I know this isn't the most relevant to this thread, but "Batman Begins" was filmed mostly in Chicago. Do you remember "Wayne Tower"? The building in the center of Gotham City?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_Building.jpg
Chicago

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...nterprises.jpg
Gotham City

Film locations for Batman Begins (2005)

Chicago stand-ins steal revenue in new 'Dark Knight Rises' - Chicago Tribune

I'm sorry, but a simple Google search reveals that Batman Begins was filmed almost exclusively in London and Chicago. The Dark Knight was also filmed almost exclusively in Chicago, the Loop is seein several of the shots of Gotham City.

Now the third one, The Dark Knight Rises was filmed in a multitude of cities. The football stadium was that of the Pittsburgh Steelers, many shots of the city came from NYC and LA. Chicago wasn't used at all in the 3rd one I do not believe. However, I have not heard that Detroit was used in the filming of the 3rd one.

Again, I know it's kind of trivial but I know the Dark Knight Trilogy filming locations, there was a lot of local pride in Chicago being chosen for the first two since Gotham City was almost always depicted as New York City.

Okay, back on topic now.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Because Chicago only has one big airport, and because Chicago, like Atlanta, is a big transfer hub. Places like NYC and LA have far more airport traffic, it's just divided into more airports, and it tends to be destination traffic rather than more transfers, as in Chicago and Atlanta.

And you're wrong anyways about overall airport traffic. LAX does come close to ORD. And JFK destroys ORD in terms of international traffic and % destination traffic.
Actually Chicago has two major airports. O'Hare and Midway.

In terms of international traffic JFK and Miami have the most, but it makes sense since both are coastal cities on the ocean.

In terms of raw amounts of passengers, Atlanta claims the number 1 spot with 92 million passengers in 2011 and O'Hare comes in 2nd in the United States with about 66 million passengers.

Midway, though a fairly large and still international airport lags far behind at 20 million, which by most accounts is still a lot of people.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yes it has a higher roof, but that isn't generally what tallest buildings officially go by, at least by the Council of Tall Buildings, the elders have spoken at the council .

This would be a non issue if the Chicago Spire wasn't botched though.
So when you're overlooking the city at the observation deck the height is the same whether you be in NYC or Chicago? I thought this new building was supposed to be 1,776 feet, that's a hell of a spire.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:49 AM

20 posts, read 29,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Actually Chicago has two major airports. O'Hare and Midway.
No, Chicago has one major airport. Midway is not comparable to any of the NYC airports. Midway has never, in its history, even had 20 million passengers.
Quote:
In terms of international traffic JFK and Miami have the most, but it makes sense since both are coastal cities on the ocean.
I have no idea what "coastal cities on the ocean" has to do with international traffic. The busiest international airports on earth quite often aren't "coastal cities on the ocean".
Quote:
In terms of raw amounts of passengers, Atlanta claims the number 1 spot with 92 million passengers in 2011 and O'Hare comes in 2nd in the United States with about 66 million passengers.
Not true. NYC has the most passenger counts in the U.S., and LA is second.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:54 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
So when you're overlooking the city at the observation deck the height is the same whether you be in NYC or Chicago? I thought this new building was supposed to be 1,776 feet, that's a hell of a spire.
The Sears Tower also claimed "tallest building" before by adding the antenna later to move above the original WTC 1/2... the Spire is steel if I recall.
Totally fair game.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:27 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
No, Chicago has one major airport. Midway is not comparable to any of the NYC airports. Midway has never, in its history, even had 20 million passengers.

I have no idea what "coastal cities on the ocean" has to do with international traffic. The busiest international airports on earth quite often aren't "coastal cities on the ocean".

Really, LAX is the only big airport in Los Angeles. I think John Wayne in OC might be the second largest?

As far as tech and higher education, I think Cal Tech takes the cake. That show Big Bang Theory takes place at Cal Tech / Pasadena. I know Pasadena isn't technically in Los Angeles, but I think it is close enough to count.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Sorry, not sure where you are getting your information.

In 2012 Midway recorded 19,516,127 passengers rounding up that'd be 20 million and going by the increase cycles over the last several years it's very likely to say that Midway will break 20 million passengers in 2013.

Chicago Midway International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The busiest airports aren't coastal cities? London? NYC? Los Angeles? Hong Kong? Singapore? Malaysia? I suppose those aren't major coastal international airports.

You might want to review passenger counts per the airports in the United States. Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta routinely tops the list of the busiest airport in the world, not just the United States. Over 90 million, even Beijing doesn't have that many.

In 2012 O'Hare recorded about 67 million and LA recorded 63 million. JFK is the 6th busiest airport in the United States by raw passenger amounts, coming in at 49 million behind Denver and Dallas-Fortworth, not that impressive, sorry.

World's busiest airports by passenger traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-31-2013, 10:04 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Who cares about airports?

Old 10-31-2013, 10:15 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Who cares about airports?
they're so exciting places to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City