Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
Chicago 113 31.04%
Los Angeles 251 68.96%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 04:54 PM

555 posts, read 591,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCIFER#666 View Post
@FLOTARD,

FYI,

CHI & NYC ranks in the top 10 Global Alpha Cities.

LA ranks in the 11-20 bracket.

Here is the link:

Alpha, Beta and Gamma cities (updated 2013)
Lucifer, why are you hung up on some ranking? Rankings are rarely subjective and based on specific criteria.
I don't think, and that can be proved by comparing stats, that Chicago is in the same league as NYC and LA, neither by sixze of population, size of economy or cultural standing in the world. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 05:04 PM

204 posts, read 309,769 times
It can be argued that Chicago walks in the image of New York. Los Angeles walks as it's own city with a unique culture and in its own image.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:23 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4d10 View Post
It can be argued that Chicago walks in the image of New York. Los Angeles walks as it's own city with a unique culture and in its own image.
So I guess every other large and dense city is just trying to be like New York. Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, San Francisco, all walking in New York's shadow.

Los Angeles is definitely different, I'll give you that. A lot of it comes from its temperate and plain climate, the rest comes from its age and the draw of Hollywood and the celebrities in the area. Though I've never been, I have no real desire to see L.A., it seems like it's the epitome of all that is morally wrong with America.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:41 PM

555 posts, read 591,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
So I guess every other large and dense city is just trying to be like New York. Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, San Francisco, all walking in New York's shadow.

Los Angeles is definitely different, I'll give you that. A lot of it comes from its temperate and plain climate, the rest comes from its age and the draw of Hollywood and the celebrities in the area. Though I've never been, I have no real desire to see L.A., it seems like it's the epitome of all that is morally wrong with America.

Don't you think it is true to some extent? The same as people mimic behavior of other people (look at fashion, cultural fads et) the cities try to imitate other, more prominent cities. Cities after all are inhabited by people. LOL

Old 10-28-2013, 06:11 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
Quote:

Give me a break....way to judge 12 million people in the LA area that you know nothing about.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:44 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,960 times
I don't know why it has to be a personal knock to Chicago that LA is the more iconic, culturally productive, and economically powerful of the two cities. Chicago is an amazing, beautiful city. However, we're talking about Los Angeles, California here. The city is home to the 20th Century's number one (yes this is subjective but please, go ahead and disagree with me) most significant cultural producer and movement, Hollywood. It's home to Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, the nearly universally-recognized Hollywood sign. I believe LA county is the number one manufacturing county in America and still leads in aerospace. LA's GDP is a few hundred billion dollars more than Chicago's.
NY is king of publishing, theater, fashion, and finances. LA is king of film and tv, media, music, entertainment in general, and manufacturing. I'm sorry but I just can't tell you which category Chicago is a world or even national leader in? Architecture? Man, maybe several decades ago. The UAE and China, etc. have demoted to Chicago to the first half of the history books. Economics? Meh.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:21 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Don't you think it is true to some extent? The same as people mimic behavior of other people (look at fashion, cultural fads et) the cities try to imitate other, more prominent cities. Cities after all are inhabited by people. LOL
Honestly other than having a similarly majestic downtown, I think Chicago has more in common with Los Angeles than it does with New York City. It's sort of like a combo of the two.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:28 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:

Why would someone want to remain so willfully ignorant?

Old 10-29-2013, 01:14 AM

281 posts, read 473,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Why would someone want to remain so willfully ignorant?
What's so wrong with what he said? Personally I would have no desire to visit anywhere outside of California and the Northeast in the nation, but I wouldn't call myself ignorant because of that, just that other places don't get my attention, does that make me ignorant

Old 10-29-2013, 08:14 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Honestly other than having a similarly majestic downtown, I think Chicago has more in common with Los Angeles than it does with New York City. It's sort of like a combo of the two.
In terms of what, layout or culture? And do you mean metro wide or the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City