Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
Chicago 113 31.04%
Los Angeles 251 68.96%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:17 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Who cares about airports?
Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 02:15 PM

12 posts, read 20,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Sorry, not sure where you are getting your information.

In 2012 Midway recorded 19,516,127 passengers rounding up that'd be 20 million and going by the increase cycles over the last several years it's very likely to say that Midway will break 20 million passengers in 2013.

Chicago Midway International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The busiest airports aren't coastal cities? London? NYC? Los Angeles? Hong Kong? Singapore? Malaysia? I suppose those aren't major coastal international airports.

You might want to review passenger counts per the airports in the United States. Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta routinely tops the list of the busiest airport in the world, not just the United States. Over 90 million, even Beijing doesn't have that many.

In 2012 O'Hare recorded about 67 million and LA recorded 63 million. JFK is the 6th busiest airport in the United States by raw passenger amounts, coming in at 49 million behind Denver and Dallas-Fortworth, not that impressive, sorry.

World's busiest airports by passenger traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a moot point since Atlanta is considered the busiest airport in the nation, does that somehow make it more iconic then say DC or SF?

Old 10-31-2013, 03:59 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable1 View Post
This is a moot point since Atlanta is considered the busiest airport in the nation, does that somehow make it more iconic then say DC or SF?
Never said the airport itself makes it more "iconic". I said Chicago's O'Hare is the second busiest airport in the country, and serves more passengers per year than LA. Woodward wants to bring up false information about airports, I'm merely correcting him.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:14 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Never said the airport itself makes it more "iconic". I said Chicago's O'Hare is the second busiest airport in the country, and serves more passengers per year than LA. Woodward wants to bring up false information about airports, I'm merely correcting him.
Why bring that up in the first place though if not to push the idea that it boosts Chicago as an iconic city?

Quote:
Sorry, not sure where you are getting your information.

In 2012 Midway recorded 19,516,127 passengers rounding up that'd be 20 million and going by the increase cycles over the last several years it's very likely to say that Midway will break 20 million passengers in 2013.
So basically what he said is true, you can't round up and pass 20 million, just like Chicago can't round up it's metro and pass 10 million, it isn't at that level yet, nor can you round Chicago up to a 3 million city, it lost that mantra. Nor can SF say it is a city of a million, it can once it actually hits that milestone. But I don't see SF posters claiming such things. They both need to earn those milestones.

Anyway you have been pulling at straws for the last 10 pages or so...

Old 10-31-2013, 04:36 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Why bring that up in the first place though if not to push the idea that it boosts Chicago as an iconic city?

So basically what he said is true, you can't round up and pass 20 million, just like Chicago can't round up it's metro and pass 10 million, it isn't at that level yet, nor can you round Chicago up to a 3 million city, it lost that mantra. Nor can SF say it is a city of a million, it can once it actually hits that milestone. But I don't see SF posters claiming such things. They both need to earn those milestones.

Anyway you have been pulling at straws for the last 10 pages or so...
Do you have anything worthwhile to contribute to the discussion of Los Angeles vs Chicago in terms of icon recognition and culture or not?

O'Hare is a busier airport than Los Angeles, thus giving it a higher spot on the world list, thus it sees more people, thus it is probably more well known. That is all I am suggesting.

2013 is not over yet, but for the 2013 year Midway is on pace to break the 20 million mark. It's no different than population estimates.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:34 PM

281 posts, read 472,816 times
Quote:
Do you have anything worthwhile to contribute to the discussion of Los Angeles vs Chicago in terms of icon recognition and culture or not?

O'Hare is a busier airport than Los Angeles, thus giving it a higher spot on the world list, thus it sees more people, thus it is probably more well known. That is all I am suggesting.

2013 is not over yet, but for the 2013 year Midway is on pace to break the 20 million mark. It's no different than population estimates.
So would you agree ATL>Chi as well?

Old 10-31-2013, 06:48 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,781 times
Quote:
But this is wrong. LA is a busier air hub than Chicago.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:50 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,781 times
Quote:
Looks to me like Woodward posted correct information on airports, and you got schooled.

Unless Wikipedia is incorrect, Midway isn't a major airport, has never seen 20 million passengers, and Chicago has fewer air passengers than LA.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:57 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Looks to me like Woodward posted correct information on airports, and you got schooled.

Unless Wikipedia is incorrect, Midway isn't a major airport, has never seen 20 million passengers, and Chicago has fewer air passengers than LA.
you mean this Wikipedia article?

List of the busiest airports in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Midway is the 26th busiest airport in the country....which seems majorish to me.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:09 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:

I have contributed a lot by enlightening the falsities in your posts back to an even level. Most people have already mentioned the merits of Los Angeles as a cultural icon city over Chicago so I don't feel the need to repeat them ad nauseum.

By your logic Atlanta would be over Chicago per airport traffic and Dubai should also be over Chicago because it has a taller building. In reality, neither of these examples make a place iconic, hence why I said, you have been pulling at straws for the last 10 pages or so.

Also realize LA gets FAR more international visitors than Chicago in the millions, the numbers you are looking at for O'Hare are often layovers, those people see nothing but a few Starbucks, a Garrett popcorn stand and some escalators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City