Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More economically relevant state in the future
California 195 56.85%
Texas 148 43.15%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 05:43 PM

557 posts, read 715,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollygagger428 View Post
Interesting to me, and although I respect your opinion, I just don't get the love for Texas. We are LIVING to get out of here (San Antonio). Sure, it's "cheap" to live here; that's because the salaries are pathetic. So, when I hear "the economy is booming" in Texas, I have to wonder why so many on welfare and food stamps? Why so many uninsured?
Property taxes are very high, as is car insurance. Somebody has to pay for the illegals and takers.
The summers are relentless and non-ending (especially if you come from four seasons).There is NO fall and no trees except in a few state parks you have to drive hours to.
Maybe I just picked the wrong city in Texas, because I do enjoy visits to Tyler, Austin, and Dallas. But this place...graffiti, litter all over, loose dogs...I could go on and on. I look forward to going in to a store and hearing English again.
I've never been to San Antonio, but Austin and Dallas are pretty cool. If it is too hot in Texas you can move out to Wisconsin and freeze all winter. You want nice weather, move to California, but then you'll be hit with sticker shock for housing. Each place has its problems and tradeoffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 05:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Interesting to me, and although I respect your opinion, I just don't get the love for Texas. We are LIVING to get out of here (San Antonio). Sure, it's "cheap" to live here; that's because the salaries are pathetic. So, when I hear "the economy is booming" in Texas, I have to wonder why so many on welfare and food stamps? Why so many uninsured?
Property taxes are very high, as is car insurance. Somebody has to pay for the illegals and takers.
The summers are relentless and non-ending (especially if you come from four seasons).There is NO fall and no trees except in a few state parks you have to drive hours to.
Maybe I just picked the wrong city in Texas, because I do enjoy visits to Tyler, Austin, and Dallas. But this place...graffiti, litter all over, loose dogs...I could go on and on. I look forward to going in to a store and hearing English again.

Maybe you did pick the wrong city, or the wrong area, I don't know. Texas is so huge that it's bound to have some rough spots - like ANY other large and varied state.

I live in northeast Texas, near Tyler. I love it here. LOVE IT. But I am from the Deep South so the heat doesn't bother me at all - it never has. I was used to it long before I moved to Texas. In fact, I like it. I love the winters especially.

Where I live, we have four seasons though, including a nice show of fall colors on the hardwoods, which are plentiful. Northeast Texas is green and rolling and full of trees and lakes and rivers. Very scenic.

I haven't experienced the "pathetic" salaries - I've always been able to make a good living here, and now our business (we are independent contractors) is BOOMING and has been for several years. And yes, our property taxes are higher - BUT we don't pay ANY state income tax, so that's a wash.

Personally I like San Antonio but I wouldn't choose to live there - I prefer Austin and the area west of Austin, as well as Fort Worth and a bit west of Fort Worth (after northeast Texas, of course - my favorite area). Where I live, we have ZERO problems when it comes to graffiti or "a lack of English speaking folks." Yes, we have plenty of bilingual people around here and they form an important part of our culture, but they seem eager to assimilate and live the American lifestyle - not trying to recreate Mexico up here.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:45 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
The very fact this is a 60/40 poll shows Texas isn't that far behind California.

Like the 80's TV commercial said (if you were alive in that era) "You can learn a lot from a dummy". The dummy being California in this case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0jRYpSt95E

Old 11-07-2013, 09:13 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
Quote:
You might be happier if you moved out of the west side of San Antonio.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:07 AM

572 posts, read 708,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Does Dallas have less crime than Los Angeles? Los Angeles is actually one of the safest large cities in the country, with its lowest crime rate in decades.

And nothing about Dallas really reminds me of Los Angeles, other than having multiple big cities in the metro.
No. Dallas isn't safer than LA. Can we drop these lies? Houston isn't either.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:13 AM

Btw, Houston and Dallas aren't close to LA as a city at all. I heard Dallas only has a few neighborhoods, (Greenville Ave, Uptown) where people actually walk to stores and restaurants. That's not exactly impressive.

I think there's only a few neighborhoods in LA where people CAN'T do that. Most LA residents are a few blocks from busy commercial streets lined with restaurants and retail. It's very silimar to Chicago in this regard. Not to mention there's plenty of smaller streets like Sawtelle, Abbot Kinney, Vine, Larchmont, Hillhurst, 6th and 8th streets in KoreaTown etc.

Then you have all those great suburb/city areas like Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Long Beach, West Hollywood, Pasadena, Culver City, Glendale etc. Hell, even Burbank is more interesting than Texas burbs. Santa Monica Beverly Hills and Pasadena can rival larger cities. They aren't ordinary suburbs.

And there is nothing in Dallas or Houston that is like Beverly Hills. Beverly Hills has a large business district, not some small village of shops and large homes. Wilshire Blvd is lined with mid rise offices and hotels for at least two-three miles. They're not skyscrapers but it's still an exclusive address.
Other streets like Robertson, Beverly, La Cienega are smaller commercial districts in the city that are very fashionable and high rent.

Sorry to bring these other things up here, but LA is very misrepresented on these forums.

Last edited by PalmsTown; 11-12-2013 at 12:49 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 12:43 AM

I just pulled up google maps for Highland Park Village in Dallas. It looks like a strip center. Older, but still a strip center. Westwood Village in LA looks like a more interesting "village".

But Highland Park Village was compared to Beverly Hills? Really? Ok. Wow. Some people are really delusional I guess.

Checked Rice Village in Houston. Not what I was expecting...

Do people really think these places compare to the Golden Triangle or even South Beverly Drive? Have these Texas people been to LA? They're nothing alike. AT ALL. And LA's high rent commercial districts go beyond Beverly Hills. West Melrose, Sunset Plaza. West 3rd street etc. West Beverly Blvd. Montana Ave. Abbot Kinney. Some one knocked them cause they look the same? Ok...well, who cares. Houston and Dallas would love to have any of them.

All of these areas are more walkable and interesting. Sorry, but I'm tired of people just making stuff up about LA. I've had enough of it.

Last edited by PalmsTown; 11-12-2013 at 01:21 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 12:59 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
2011 Crime rates per 100k people (Data provided by City-Data)

Houston
Murder Rate: 9.2
Rape Rate: 36.0
Assault Rate: 553.7
Crime Rate: 540.1

Dallas
Murder Rate: 10.9
Rape Rate: 35.0
Assault Rate: 302.8
Crime Rate: 484.9

Los Angeles
Murder Rate: 7.7
Rape Rate: 21.6
Assault Rate: 230.5
Crime Rate: 285.0

~~~~~~~

The data doesn't lie. Houston and Dallas are crime-infested ghettos compared to LA. I surely wouldn't call either Houston or Dallas ideal cities to emulate, given the horrendous crime problem. The "good" conditions of the job market in Houston and Dallas are irrelevant; they are cheap cities where it's cheap to do business in. That's it. They are not glamorous or desirable, these crime-filled pits. They are more similar to 3rd world country cities than world class cities.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:14 AM

And LA's crime and murder rates have dropped again this year.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:44 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
2011 Crime rates per 100k people (Data provided by City-Data)

Houston
Murder Rate: 9.2
Rape Rate: 36.0
Assault Rate: 553.7
Crime Rate: 540.1

Dallas
Murder Rate: 10.9
Rape Rate: 35.0
Assault Rate: 302.8
Crime Rate: 484.9

Los Angeles
Murder Rate: 7.7
Rape Rate: 21.6
Assault Rate: 230.5
Crime Rate: 285.0

~~~~~~~

The data doesn't lie. Houston and Dallas are crime-infested ghettos compared to LA. I surely wouldn't call either Houston or Dallas ideal cities to emulate, given the horrendous crime problem. The "good" conditions of the job market in Houston and Dallas are irrelevant; they are cheap cities where it's cheap to do business in. That's it. They are not glamorous or desirable, these crime-filled pits. They are more similar to 3rd world country cities than world class cities.
Another cheap shot at Houston & Dallas which has no truth behind it what so ever.

How about something a little more recent than 3 years ago?

Neither one of those Texas cities are "3rd World" as you put it. Hell neither one of them even comes close to crime infested dumps like Oakland, Detroit, New Orleans, & Philly.

All of Texas' street gangs originated in California...LA to be exact. You're bragging over something you created. How ironic is that?

Last edited by Metro Matt; 11-13-2013 at 01:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City