Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 02:32 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
No, I'm only talking about the downtown area's which people in those cities drive still.
People in just about every downtown still drives except maybe NY. This is still America here. You can get by without a car in these three cities easier if you stay in downtown. It would be harder if you did this with Tyson's. Sorry, it's a bad comparison even if Tyson's finishes their hopeful projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 02:36 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's not the point. The only way this new Tyson's that you're talking about can compare with these three cities is if Tyson's explodes even more and these three cities do nothing to their downtown areas in a given amount of time. That will simply not be the case. These downtown areas can become livable areas without the car because at one time, they were. Tyson's does not have the history of these three like that. Also, you're trying to justify your argument by comparing Tyson's Corner to the entire cities of Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta which is a disingenuous. This discussion is between the immediate cores of these three cities and Tyson's Corner and Tyson's Corner will likely never become as urban as these three.
Did someone say Tyson's is going to be as urban as they will be in 100 years? I'm talking about the current level of urbanity they have today. I don't know what they will be in 100 years. Nobody does. We can't model a redevelopment off of something that doesn't exist. Tyson's is striving to be like Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston is today. Who is talking about what those cities will become? Did someone say that?

Old 04-01-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
People in just about every downtown still drives except maybe NY. This is still America here. You can get by without a car in these three cities easier if you stay in downtown. It would be harder if you did this with Tyson's. Sorry, it's a bad comparison even if Tyson's finishes their hopeful projects.

How would a full buildout of Tyson's be hard to get by without a car? Are you familiar with the master plan?

Old 04-01-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Did someone say Tyson's is going to be as urban as they will be in 100 years? I'm talking about the current level of urbanity they have today. I don't know what they will be in 100 years. Nobody does. We can't model a redevelopment off of something that doesn't exist. Tyson's is striving to be like Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston is today. Who is talking about what those cities will become? Did someone say that?
So what is the discussion? Because Tyson's does not compare to these three now and probably never will. Also, yes, I am familiar with the master plan. They've been talking about it since for years.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
So what is the discussion? Because Tyson's does not compare to these three now and probably never will. Also, yes, I am familiar with the master plan. They've been talking about it since for years.
The discussion was saying Tyson's is trying to emulate the development seen in the sunbelt at their current urban level. The comparison was Tyson's in 2050 to those cities today.

Are you familiar with the developments that have been approved and those that are under construction in Tyson's?

Old 04-01-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
The discussion was saying Tyson's is trying to emulate the development seen in the sunbelt at their current urban level. The comparison was Tyson's in 2050 to those cities today.

Are you familiar with the developments that have been approved and those that are under construction in Tyson's?
Again yes. I am. I live here in DC. So what you're saying is that Tyson's in 2050 will resemble what Downtown Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta are now in 2015? Still don't see that.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Again yes. I am. I live here in DC. So what you're saying is that Tyson's in 2050 will resemble what Downtown Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta are now in 2015? Still don't see that.
Is your reason for that because you feel like Tyson's has too far to go? What makes you feel this way? If the master plan were to come to fruition, how do you think Tyson's would function? With 100,000 people, what would Tyson's be like? How different would that area function with 200,000 jobs? Most people wouldn't be able to drive there, they would have to take public transportation.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:39 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Wait, so you are comparing an edge city like Tyson's Corner to three functional CBD's in other cities?

Dude, why?

Old 04-01-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Wait, so you are comparing an edge city like Tyson's Corner to three functional CBD's in other cities?

Dude, why?
Not in it's current form, the future of it. With an adequate grid laid and 100 years of development.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:43 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
This is just beyond believable.

It is apparent that MDAllstar has convinced himself that the Downtowns of Atlanta, Dallas and Houston are suburban in nature. He won't admit it, but that is the bottom line here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City