Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2015, 04:10 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times

Advertisements

I know it is not a city in the United States but it is a city in North America and by size alone it is a peer city of several outlined in the thread title.

This is a very recent model diagram in Toronto's Main Hall that has the diagram of the cityscape with all buildings that currently exist, are proposed, and under-construction at this time.

This would be the view in the city from the north from Lake Ontario:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...psfymcp5cg.png

This would be the view of the city from the south of Bloor Street:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...psy4zpzotx.png

As for Miami, currently there are 42 highrises (over 10 floors) under-construction in Miami proper, only topped by two other cities in New York (106) and Houston (44). Miami also has 70 highrises above 10 stories proposed/in-the-pipeline currently, that once again trails only New York (223) and is tied with Houston (70) for second. While we're on the subject, overall when including the on-hold highrises above 10 stories as well in addition to those under-construction and proposed, only two cities have more in the pipeline and currently digging dirt than Miami (113), they are the same two cities again in New York (337) and Houston (115).

As you can see, if the projects that are either under-construction or proposed all pan out (I don't expect ALL of them to), the current tallest building in all of Miami would become the 22nd tallest building in Miami all in just one boom cycle.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...3672-mia-2.bmp

These are just highrises, there's a lot more than just this going on in Miami (as well as these other cities as well).

Miami is also poised to soon have the largest mall in the United States (not a fan of malls but it is what it is), as well as the United States' first indoor skii resort, which will also be the largest one in the entire Western Hemisphere at-large.

Nation's largest mall, complete with ski slope, planned for Miami

There is also the recently unvieled World Center project in Miami as well:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lZH-Emo2DjY

In addition to dozens of other projects that have, in my personal opinion, made this the fastest infilling city in the whole of the United States when New York is taken out of the discussion.

There are also numerous transit oriented developments in Southeast Florida as well, specifically in Miami proper near the All-Aboard Florida stations. All around this is net-positive infill that will improve much of the city, especially as most of these projects replace surface lots or dilapidated and unusable structures/buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 04:34 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
See I would know about that mall in South Florida if my family didn't all move from out of there to go to Port St. Lucie lol.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:36 PM

176 posts, read 174,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
As for Miami, currently there are 42 highrises (over 10 floors) under-construction in Miami proper, only topped by two other cities in New York (106) and Houston (44). Miami also has 70 highrises above 10 stories proposed/in-the-pipeline currently, that once again trails only New York (223) and is tied with Houston (70) for second. While we're on the subject, overall when including the on-hold highrises above 10 stories as well in addition to those under-construction and proposed, only two cities have more in the pipeline and currently digging dirt than Miami (113), they are the same two cities again in New York (337) and Houston (115).
Here's a very good interactive map the 100+ projects (44 under construction) in Downtown/Midtown Miami - from the Miami Downtown Development Agency

Greater Downtown Miami Development Map

Let me note that while Houston and Miami's numbers seem very close, Miami's projects for the most part are taller and greater in scale and that there are many more projects (some mega scale) planned and under construction throughout the metro .... I believe it's 210+ now.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:48 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobchbud1 View Post
Here's a very good interactive map the 100+ projects (44 under construction) in Downtown/Midtown Miami - from the Miami Downtown Development Agency

Greater Downtown Miami Development Map

Let me note that while Houston and Miami's numbers seem very close, Miami's projects for the most part are taller and greater in scale and that there are many more projects (some mega scale) planned and under construction throughout the metro .... I believe it's 210+ now.

I was just in Maimi and walked around DT/Brickell I was not impressed (expected so much more aftewr reading this site and not being in this area for nearly ten years) with the street activity or interaction and sadly perusing these they look similar large lots on the bottom and very little street interaction or synergy. They seem like drive in and go up the elevator places - still interesting but for as many tall buildings it may be the least street interactive for the scale by a long way i have experieced. It was a thursday afternoon into evening I was there. Still love Miami Beach and S Beach though

Also on the SLS is the base structure their thing (not the one in S Beach though) as the Philly one will have something similar.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sls+...2&ved=0CCQQsAQ

Old 07-10-2015, 04:23 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Yeah, Miami still has pretty bad urban form in it's new developments. I mean, it's alright though because the city isn't looking to be the Hong Kong of America.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:42 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I was just in Maimi and walked around DT/Brickell I was not impressed (expected so much more aftewr reading this site and not being in this area for nearly ten years) with the street activity or interaction and sadly perusing these they look similar large lots on the bottom and very little street interaction or synergy. They seem like drive in and go up the elevator places - still interesting but for as many tall buildings it may be the least street interactive for the scale by a long way i have experieced. It was a thursday afternoon into evening I was there. Still love Miami Beach and S Beach though

Also on the SLS is the base structure their thing (not the one in S Beach though) as the Philly one will have something similar.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sls+...2&ved=0CCQQsAQ
Agreed! I was just there over the July 4th weekend. Miami is not very vibrant. Miami Beach is the only area that is vibrant in my opinion. People don't really walk in Miami proper in comparison to other cities.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:02 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,704 times
Glad to see Any city moving forward in growth and new construction to infill. CHICAGO WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF A BOOM IN 2007 2008. BUT THE CRASH KILLED so so much. INCLUDING 4 SUPER-TALLS. One made it 20 stories and cancelled. One the foundation was in... the 2000 Ft Spire. Then Cancelled. But the Trump Chicago got built though scaled back from being the Tallest because of 9 11.

.... It is a mature city improving aspects yearly , especially downtown and Still maintains new construction that steadily impresses. Locals and tourist alike. Chicago is paying attention to details by maturity also. Cities as Miami gain MUCH international investment. PROCLAIMING more Projects in the works then Chicago. But many are NOT MEANT to house locals or even Americans.

Chicago relies more on its own power and builds more as needed. Not all on speculation today. It has finally recovered from the crash. Is building again. Some point to the city's debt. So far it isn't stopping things. Even the government still floated a 100 million loan to the city for the River-Walk improvements. Besides the millions the business community gave.

But CHICAGO already has this as its vibrant downtown. In these pictures a few years old now. Way back in the late 60s when its New East side was being planned. Some claimed it was making it too dense. But with the result... especially in the middle 2 pictures. They made the right choice. Also those who planned Navy pier in the 80s and Millennium Park in the 90s and the creation of a Museum Campus moving Lake Shore Drive.

Now the River-walk is opening in stages and appears to be RECIEVED well too. The decade old plan to turn the peninsula. That was formerly a downtown private jet airport, Meig's Field. Was demolished for now a WILD LIFE REFUGE again aimed for tourist too. (last picture in below attachments) It will be completed in a year or two.

The LUCAS MUSEUM that was on hold with lawsuits to build on parkland. GOT A OK VOTE in the Illinois Congress. It may NOW GO AHEAD AS PLANNED....adding to the cities Museum Campus in the next few years.

All are EXTREMELY Successful and had a aim to also create a Tourist wanted and friendly city. Not merely one for Business. Chicago wins HIGH FEEDBACK in Tourist REVIEW SIGHTS like "TripAdvisor". Why it STILL RANKS #2 behind NYC. HOUSTON can only dream of such reviews. http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-ad...tourism-goals/

On PARK SCORES. Closeness of populations to parks. By Walkability, Senior Centers, # of Playgrounds and Seating like benches. http://parkscore.tpl.org/rankings_advanced.php
For comparisons Chicago #12, Atlanta #48(tie), Houston #58

CHICAGO'S DOWNTOWN has been BOOMING. http://yochicago.com/chicago-had-lar...to-2010/28054/ EXERPT; Census Bureau defined “downtown” as the area within a 2-mile radius of the location of the city hall in the principal city in a metropolitan area. (even with Chicago having its downtown Parks in the 2-miles)
Chicago’s downtown population grew from 133,426 to 181,714, an increase of 48,288 or 36.2%. For the decade 2000-2010. New York came in 2nd with a population increase of 37,422, followed by Philadelphia, San Francisco and Washington, DC.

I believe CHICAGO will fight tooth and nail to maintain its status. . To those salivating to the year they PROCLAIM to OVERTAKING IT. But Americans prefer less winters and the Sunbelt still is higher growing region today.
To someone who knocked Chicago for winter roadway salt usage? It is Half or more of the nation who does. But found a sight with some insight. Claiming at least Lake Michigan gets very little run-off to be detrimental to it. Curious City: Road salt spread in the Chicago area affects Lake Michigan but contributes more pollution to inland waterways | WBEZ 91.5 Chicago

Pictures that show a vibrant ... more and more, a CITY FOR THE FUTURE. Not just one whose heyday was past.

Skyscraper living.. New East Side..New East Side also..Over city's front Lawn
Near North Side .. Along the River...Millennium Park.. Harbors and Grant Park.
Gold Coast��in distance
with beaches
Attached Thumbnails
Which MSA has the most major projects coming up:  ATL, HOU, DAL, L.A., Seattle, D.C., Philly, Bos, San Fran, or Chi?-chicago-near-north-gold-coast-distance_.jpg   Which MSA has the most major projects coming up:  ATL, HOU, DAL, L.A., Seattle, D.C., Philly, Bos, San Fran, or Chi?-chicago-east-chicago-river-development.jpg   Which MSA has the most major projects coming up:  ATL, HOU, DAL, L.A., Seattle, D.C., Philly, Bos, San Fran, or Chi?-millennium-park-skyscrapers-air-rights-over   Which MSA has the most major projects coming up:  ATL, HOU, DAL, L.A., Seattle, D.C., Philly, Bos, San Fran, or Chi?-chicago-lakefront-wih-harbors-snd-skyline  

Last edited by steeps; 07-14-2015 at 03:25 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 03:46 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,707 times
Who the F really cares about Miami, to me it is a foreign city that was once beautiful, it might as well be in South America.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:29 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Who the F really cares about Miami, to me it is a foreign city that was once beautiful, it might as well be in South America.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:52 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
I dunno...you kind of sound like you care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City