Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 05:26 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Looks like LA is getting the George Lucas Museum: https://www.google.com/amp/ktla.com/...android-att-us

George's collection will be nice compliment to the much more comprehensive Academy Museum currently under construction on Wilshire Blvd: Museum | Oscars.org | Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
Chicago really dropped the ball on that one unfortunately, though I definitely like the architecture of the LA much better. Maybe its chances would have been better if the Chicago design weren't so pimply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 08:53 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Looks like LA is getting the George Lucas Museum: https://www.google.com/amp/ktla.com/...android-att-us

George's collection will be nice compliment to the much more comprehensive Academy Museum currently under construction on Wilshire Blvd: Museum | Oscars.org | Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
I hate u.

Jk congrats.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:39 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,758 times
Quote:

Apparently construction will start this year and the museum will be complete by 2020. Weird seeing "2020" on soon-to-start construction timetables, but I forget we're already almost done with the 2010's!

Old 01-11-2017, 12:13 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiesinUSA View Post
That's the one im talking about. Original plans had it at just above 1000 feet, but like i said, they've seemed to have shortened it. However, plans are not finalized, so there's still don't wiggle room for the height.

But i didn't know the height was officialized. Bummer, i would have liked another 1000 footer next to BOA plaza. Fingers crossed.
It was never a 1k footer...it was originally 3 towers of varying height with the tallest being around 750 feet before they changed it to one taller tower at 920 feet. I mean let's be honest though...they could easily put a "spire" on it that's at least 80 feet and call it a supertall like half of the supertalls being built today or recently .

Old 01-11-2017, 09:52 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Chicago really dropped the ball on that one unfortunately, though I definitely like the architecture of the LA much better. Maybe its chances would have been better if the Chicago design weren't so pimply.
Chicago's chances would have been better had Lucas not been dead set on a location east of Lake Shore Dr on or near the Museum Campus. That meant anyone could legally challenge the plans in court, and yet Lucas refused to fight. It's as if he merely hoped that everyone would look the other way.

The city tried to strong arm the location through for him, but there was no stopping a legal challenge if Lucas was only going to consider locations east of LSD thanks to the public trust doctrine. How no one anticipated that is beyond me.

Also for the record, I am pissed that the Friends of Park saved a Bears parking lot in the hopes of it one day becoming a park versus the city landing a museum.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:08 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It was never a 1k footer...it was originally 3 towers of varying height with the tallest being around 750 feet before they changed it to one taller tower at 920 feet. I mean let's be honest though...they could easily put a "spire" on it that's at least 80 feet and call it a supertall like half of the supertalls being built today or recently .
You mean just like BOA Plaza in Atlanta with it's 933 foot roof height, and nearly 100 foot tall see-through crown and spire? Ahh gotcha

Old 01-11-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiesinUSA View Post
You mean like nearly every skyscraper on the planet? Including the OWT Center, which is in fact shorter than the Willis Tower?
Exactly. Just saying that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Burj Khalifa - 2,717 height - 1,918 roof
Shanghai Tower - 2,073 height - 1,927 roof
Abraj Al Bait - 1,972 height - 1,740 roof
Ping An Finance Centre - 1,969 height - 1,821 roof
Lotte World Tower - 1,823 height - 1,633 roof
One World Trade Center - 1,776 height - 1,368 roof
Taipei 101 - 1,671 height - 1,474 roof

Practically every tall building uses spires, crowns, and architectural features to enhance the look of the building, and to achieve additional height. Heck, the Chrysler Building and Empire State Building did just that in 1928 and 1931... saying it's just buildings today is misguided. Mostly every skyscraper has done it.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:16 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Exactly. Just saying that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Someone was throwing stones? I just thought he stated a fact and he didn't single out any particular city. The implication was that it happens everywhere.

But I will say there are crowns and spires that look very natural and flow well with the rest of the structure, and there are others that look like afterthoughts. Many of the ones built in recent years seem to fall into the later category (and that would include BOA Plaza).

Old 01-11-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Someone was throwing stones? I just thought he stated a fact and he didn't single out any particular city. The implication was that it happens everywhere.
Metaphorically. My point is he's calling out other cities when Atlanta itself has a tallest tower guilty of exactly what he is criticizing other cities for.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:20 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Metaphorically. My point is he's calling out other cities when Atlanta itself has a tallest tower guilty of exactly what he is criticizing other cities for.
I didn't read that as a criticism of cities, but of architectural trends. There's a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City