Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 07:06 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I strongly doubt many of the cities you listed have their development as concentrated as Philly. In my opinion, the only city with more concentrated development is DC. Philly is basically building everything in Center City and Ucity. That is necessary to move the needle.
No, Philly's development is actually kind of scattered. Half of the projects now UC are in University City. The tallest is at Cira Center across the river and not in Center City. Many of the proposals are scattered, as well.

I only toot SF's horn when it needs tooting and this is one area where the city can't be beat. There are two adjacent ~4-6 block areas next to the financial district that contain virtually all of the city's high rise construction.

One one corner of the financial district you have TB Tower (61 floors and 1,070 ft), 350 Mission (33 stories, 454 ft), and 181 Fremont (54 floors and 802 ft), with 3 towers proposed for 1st and Mission one block away.

1.5 blocks away is where 535 Mission (27 stories, 380 ft) is topped off. 1 block away from this at 2nd and Howard is where Tishman's 4th tower they have UC in just a year (one is now complete, 3 UC)...222 Second (370 ft and 26 floors).

1 block away from TB Tower/181 Fremont is where 299 Fremont is going up (32 stories). Catty corner to that is Tishman's 2nd major resi project in the area, 2 Architectonica towers now rising above street level (38 and 43 stories). 1 block from both that and 299 Fremont is where 399 Fremont (42 stories) is rising. Across the street is where Equity Residential is about to start another 40 floor building, and catty corner is where Emerald Fund has topped off the 50 story One Rincon Hill North Tower.

And I forgot to mention 45 Lansing earlier! 45 floors, on floor 4 above street level now. This is 1 block away from 3 other towers rising to 40 or greater floors now.

What's happening in SF is Vancouver style development, only taller with more office mixed in. There are so many towers going up in less than a half square mile. There is no more concentration than that. When you drive into the city on the Bay Bridge, you easily see 25-30 cranes in your face. Some of these are building mid-rise resi and office/hospital in Mission Bay to the "left" of you (where a big building just burned down). Some are the resi high rises in SOMA/S FiDi. Some are mid-rises in the middle of the city all the way back to Mid-Market. Some are random.

There are other major projects rising, too, in the city.

2 Liebher Luffing cranes are up for SFMOMA expansion (~150 ft, ~$600M), which is a half block from 222 Second. There are a ton of mid-rise market and below market housing projects going up. One block/corner on Mission has 3 12-20 story buildings rising right now, with a 15 floor hotel going up a block away on Mission as well. Scattered throughout the city are infill projects.

There are also tons of crawler cranes in the middle of the city for the $1.7B Transbay Terminal going up right now, too.

All in all, anyone who has visited SF in the past few months is blown away by all the crap going up. Those of us who love seeing buildings going up walk around with erections all day. Nothing is more concentrated in this country right now.

But Miami would be 2nd most concentrated, followed by Seattle and Austin (Austin by sheer nature of its smaller size).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 02:08 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Correction, Philly will be on fire when all of these projects are actually UC with cranes in or excavation going on (at minimum).

SF needs a reminder:

Cranes up right now (20 stories and up)

1 350 Mission (33 stories office)
1 535 Mission (27 stories office)
1 One Rincon Hill North Tower (50 stories resi)
1 399 Fremont (42 stories resi)
2 Lumina North (38 stories resi)
2 Lumina South (43 stories resi)
1 100 Van Ness (28 stories resi)
1 222 Second (26 stories office)

Excavation ongoing (20 stories and up)

Transbay Tower (61 stories office)
181 Fremont (54 stories mixed-use)
299 Fremont (32 stories resi)

I know Oakland, SJ, and the Valley have some projects, but I honestly can't keep up or pay attention to anything outside of SF. If one were to add all the sub-20 story buildings, SF's list would be very long (there's one corner in the city with three 12-18 story towers UC right now and a 15 story a couple blocks down the street, for instance).

Of course there are planed demolitions and approved buildings and proposed buildings and recently completed buildings, but I think cranes up and excavation ongoing are the two metrics that should be used for "Buildings Coming Up".

In terms of sheer number of buildings coming up:

NYC
Chicago
Miami
San Francisco
Seattle
Boston
Houston
Philadelphia
Los Angeles
Austin
Atlanta
Dallas

In terms of skyline changing (going up *right now*):

NYC
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Austin
Boston
Miami
Seattle
Philadelphia
Houston
Atlanta
Dallas

I think it's subjective and difficult, but I think there is no question about the top 5 cities for most high rises actually coming out of the ground right now, and I think it's pretty clear the top 4 cities undergoing the largest transformation right now.
I don't agree with this list at all. You underestimate how much construction is going on in Houston at this moment. Literally, that city is #1 for construction and for multi-family units being developed.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:02 AM

437 posts, read 628,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't agree with this list at all. You underestimate how much construction is going on in Houston at this moment. Literally, that city is #1 for construction and for multi-family units being developed.
He included Houston in there, unless he meant the list in order.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:09 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
D.C. can't really compete in the city limits for high-rise towers 20-40 stories tall for obvious reasons. I'm not even going to address the pathetic bill that congress just passed for D.C.'s height limit that only allows penthouse living now. Yay....SMH... I guess it's a start. We do, however, have some tower's rising outside of the city along our metro system and many more planned.

I only included buildings 16+ stories tall:

**Note: Urbanturf DC doesn't update it's website often so many projects are actually under construction that might still say planned**

http://dc.urbanturf.com/pipeline/338/Central_Place/ (377 Units) (31 stories under construction now)
Eleven55 Ripley (379 Units) (20 stories under construction now)
Element 28 (101 Units) (16 Stories under construction now)
Aurora (341 Units) (17 Stories under construction now)
View @ Liberty (257 Units) (17 Stories under construction now)
The Gallery of Bethesda (234 Units) (18 Stories under construction now)
The Gallery of Bethesda II (221 Units) (18 Stories under construction now)
The Acadia at Metropolitan Park (411 Units) (18 Stories under construction now)
The Tellus (254 Units) (16 Stories under construction now)
7770 Norfolk (244 Units) (17 Stories under construction now)

Renderings For 17-Story Bethesda Apartment Project | BethesdaNow (475 Units) (17 Stories planning)
The Fairmont (475 Units) (17 Stories planning)
400 Army Navy Drive (450 Units) (22 Stories planning)
Ascent (404 Units) (22 Stories planning)
Tysons Corner Center (450 Units) (28 Stories planning)
Rosslyn Gateway (273 Units) (30 Stories planning)
Hoffman Towers - Block 11, 12 (1197 Units) (Three Towers 33-22 Stories planning)
Hoffman Town Center - Block 5 (260 Units) (17 Stories planning)
http://dc.urbanturf.com/pipeline/85/Spring_Hill_Station/ (800 Units) (Two 25 Stories planned)

Old 03-14-2014, 09:05 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benleis View Post
http://www.downtownseattle.com/files...ment-Guide.pdf has a reasonable summary of the current ongoing projects in Seattle. I think the last rough count I saw last month was around 15 cranes in the downtown area (at least 1 has gone done and 1 has gone up since then). However, a six story building will merit a crane here which may not be that interesting. By my top of the head calculation there are about 7 projects ongoing with 20-40 stories.

* Insignia Condos
* Amazon Rufus 2.0
* 815 Pine
* 2030 8th Ave
* Stadium Place
* 225 Cedar
* 8th and Seneca

Ben
I'd actually argue that 3-10 story infill can be FAR more interesting aesthetically than any high-rise ever would. Just look at your average European city, or even Boston, Chicago, NYC, Philly, etc, to see how low-rise and mid-rise urban infill can truly make a city feel great. The high-rises are neat to look at, but primarily from a distance. It's the smaller stuff and the sheer quantity and style differences of it all that fascinates me more than anything when I go to a big city!

Old 03-14-2014, 09:14 AM

Yea I forgot about DC, that's a major construction zone - top 3 or top 5 in country for sure.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I strongly doubt many of the cities you listed have their development as concentrated as Philly. In my opinion, the only city with more concentrated development is DC. Philly is basically building everything in Center City and Ucity. That is necessary to move the needle.
Minneapolis is similar, but it's probably not on the radar here for "most active cities", however the current and impending changes will almost undoubtedly change the landscape somewhat drastically (last count I put together was something like 15,000 units in the pipeline, 50% in the downtown core, and another 25%-30% in nearby areas like the University of MN and Nordeast Mpls literally just across the river. It ends up amounting to about 100 new mid/high-rises in the city that's 56 sq miles). It helps too that it started with a smaller base than most of these huge cities.

Last edited by Min-Chi-Cbus; 03-14-2014 at 09:25 AM..

Old 03-14-2014, 09:19 AM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
No, Philly's development is actually kind of scattered. Half of the projects now UC are in University City. The tallest is at Cira Center across the river and not in Center City. Many of the proposals are scattered, as well.

I only toot SF's horn when it needs tooting and this is one area where the city can't be beat. There are two adjacent ~4-6 block areas next to the financial district that contain virtually all of the city's high rise construction.

One one corner of the financial district you have TB Tower (61 floors and 1,070 ft), 350 Mission (33 stories, 454 ft), and 181 Fremont (54 floors and 802 ft), with 3 towers proposed for 1st and Mission one block away.

1.5 blocks away is where 535 Mission (27 stories, 380 ft) is topped off. 1 block away from this at 2nd and Howard is where Tishman's 4th tower they have UC in just a year (one is now complete, 3 UC)...222 Second (370 ft and 26 floors).

1 block away from TB Tower/181 Fremont is where 299 Fremont is going up (32 stories). Catty corner to that is Tishman's 2nd major resi project in the area, 2 Architectonica towers now rising above street level (38 and 43 stories). 1 block from both that and 299 Fremont is where 399 Fremont (42 stories) is rising. Across the street is where Equity Residential is about to start another 40 floor building, and catty corner is where Emerald Fund has topped off the 50 story One Rincon Hill North Tower.

And I forgot to mention 45 Lansing earlier! 45 floors, on floor 4 above street level now. This is 1 block away from 3 other towers rising to 40 or greater floors now.

What's happening in SF is Vancouver style development, only taller with more office mixed in. There are so many towers going up in less than a half square mile. There is no more concentration than that. When you drive into the city on the Bay Bridge, you easily see 25-30 cranes in your face. Some of these are building mid-rise resi and office/hospital in Mission Bay to the "left" of you (where a big building just burned down). Some are the resi high rises in SOMA/S FiDi. Some are mid-rises in the middle of the city all the way back to Mid-Market. Some are random.

There are other major projects rising, too, in the city.

2 Liebher Luffing cranes are up for SFMOMA expansion (~150 ft, ~$600M), which is a half block from 222 Second. There are a ton of mid-rise market and below market housing projects going up. One block/corner on Mission has 3 12-20 story buildings rising right now, with a 15 floor hotel going up a block away on Mission as well. Scattered throughout the city are infill projects.

There are also tons of crawler cranes in the middle of the city for the $1.7B Transbay Terminal going up right now, too.

All in all, anyone who has visited SF in the past few months is blown away by all the crap going up. Those of us who love seeing buildings going up walk around with erections all day. Nothing is more concentrated in this country right now.

But Miami would be 2nd most concentrated, followed by Seattle and Austin (Austin by sheer nature of its smaller size).
Great post, as usual.

Yes as one drives in via the bay bridge, the City appears to be a gigantic construction zone, cranes everywhere.

Yesterday, Oakland broke ground on a huge $1.5 billion project called Brooklyn Basin, which will add 4-6 mid to highrise towers, office, retail and 3,100 housing units to the waterfront. It's very exciting after years of fighting NIMBYs and then seeking funding-Thank you China LOL

Old 03-14-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Great post, as usual.

Yes as one drives in via the bay bridge, the City appears to be a gigantic construction zone, cranes everywhere.

Yesterday, Oakland broke ground on a huge $1.5 billion project called Brooklyn Basin, which will add 4-6 mid to highrise towers, office, retail and 3,100 housing units to the waterfront. It's very exciting after years of fighting NIMBYs and then seeking funding-Thank you China LOL
3,100 units?! All at once, in one project?!?!

Old 03-14-2014, 09:27 AM

Yes, but phased. It's backed by Chinese money. SF has several 500+ unit projects UC, and a few that fall into a "master-plan" that includes thousands of units at buildout, but multiple developers and built as the market demands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City