Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2014, 09:48 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
After seeing a recent photo thread of Atlanta, it appears that city's crane count is more like 15 tops...no change for SF this weekend (to my knowledge) and the counts for DC, Seattle, and Philly come from other folks. Philly added 2 cranes for the next tower at Cira Center.

DC - 60 cranes - 61 sq mi
SF - 31 cranes - 47 sq mi
Seattle - 20 cranes - 83 sq mi
Atlanta - 15 cranes - 132 sq mi
Philly - 10 cranes - 134 sq mi

D.C. is about to enter into the largest building boom in it's history by fall 2014. There will be more projects under-construction in D.C. at the end of this year than anytime I can remember. I think D.C. may eclipse 80+ cranes by 2015 even with other cranes coming down.

The past years have been fueled by residential construction only. Now you have tons of residential, hotel, office, and cultural in all 8 wards which really pushes the amount of development to extreme levels for a city of only 61 square mile's. I actually thought D.C. was about to slow down but it's speeding up to unprecedented levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 06:43 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
It begins!!! Downtown DC's rise will be epic. No city outside of NYC has a bigger upside and potential to turn into a downtown urban giant than Washington D.C. The downtown urban footprint in DC is larger than every city in the nation outside of NYC. I have been telling people DC was about to go through the "change" and it's beginning. It's going to be pretty hard to beat downtown DC moving forward as the downtown population skyrockets.

It happened to Center City in Philly and now is about to happen in DC, but on a much larger scale. Downtown DC is about 2-3 times larger than Center City. It will be interesting to see how this changes downtown DC moving forward. The article specifically talks about Manhattan, Baltimore, Philly, and Chicago highlighting how they have been converting office buildings into residential for the last decade. They talk about how the trend had not reached DC, well until now.

I have been talking about this for three years on here telling people that a major change was sweeping through the development community here in DC. I will go on record in saying no city in the country will see a larger change than downtown DC by 2020. The office ghetto in DC presents larger redevelopment potential than any other city in the country.

Will D.C. area developers turn more office buildings into apartments? - The Washington Post

Last edited by MDAllstar; 03-24-2014 at 08:07 AM..

Old 03-24-2014, 12:24 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
After seeing a recent photo thread of Atlanta, it appears that city's crane count is more like 15 tops...no change for SF this weekend (to my knowledge) and the counts for DC, Seattle, and Philly come from other folks. Philly added 2 cranes for the next tower at Cira Center.

DC - 60 cranes - 61 sq mi
SF - 31 cranes - 47 sq mi
Seattle - 20 cranes - 83 sq mi
Atlanta - 15 cranes - 132 sq mi
Philly - 10 cranes - 134 sq mi
If it was my photo thread, remember, my goal wasn't to take photos of every new development or cranes.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:31 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Midtown Cranes - 4
Downtown Cranes - 3
O4W Cranes - 3(BoHo has 1 crane in the air still)
Inman Park - 1
Westside - 3
Buckhead Atlanta - 3(I think)
Buckhead(outside of Buckhead Atlanta) has quite a few too...not sure exactly how much considering I don't really follow Buckhead projects.

There's probably more than 20 cranes at the moment...I wish the development was more concentrated though. Keep in mind, this number doesn't include smaller 3-6 story projects that don't require cranes.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:17 PM

146 posts, read 352,798 times
A new project officially announced yesterday for Houston.

Hotel Alessandra - Houston, TX

Developer: Midway Companies
Architect: Gensler
Type: Luxury Hotel
# of floors: 25 (27 in the renderings)
Construction Timeline: June 2014 Start Date - 3Q 2016 Completion
More info: Midway Cos. to build luxury Hotel Alessandra in downtown Houston's GreenStreet - Houston Business Journal

* The hotel will have its lobby on the 24th floor, pool on the 25th floor and a partially retractable roof.

Last edited by JMT; 04-02-2014 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: copyright violations

Old 03-27-2014, 02:06 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
^^^ Interesting design

What is the recent fascination with top floor lobby - not sure it make sense for this design (I personally like ground floor lobbies for ease - always hated the Marriott Marquees for this TBH which were really the first ones I encountered with this sort of setup - but only worse without views)

The retractable roof pool does make sense though for Houston, and should be good

The new Four Seasons in Philly will also have a top floor lobby - and some pretty cool views from 1,000 feet up - plus a glass exterior elevator to take you up

Philadelphia’s Newest Skyscraper: The Comcast Innovation and Technology Center — Visit Philadelphia — visitphilly.com

Old 03-27-2014, 02:21 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
I love the design. Wish it was taller but oh well. Downtown Houston is really starting to explode in projects.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:30 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
If it was my photo thread, remember, my goal wasn't to take photos of every new development or cranes.
I can't recall who's it was, but in my Atlanta count I initially included things like the 2 tower cranes for the College Football Hall of Fame downtown, which in the recent photo thread was pictured, and the cranes had since been taken down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Midtown Cranes - 4
Downtown Cranes - 3
O4W Cranes - 3(BoHo has 1 crane in the air still) These aren't traditional tower cranes and should not count - otherwise you can add at least 10-15 cranes to SF's count, LoL. They are ground-operated hammerhead cranes that look like very miniature tower cranes. I discuss them a few pages back.
Inman Park - 1 I recently saw 280 Elizabeth - is there a brand new tower crane up?
Westside - 3 Unless Elan's crane is still oddly up, there are no traditional tower cranes on the Westside
Buckhead Atlanta - 3(I think) No, there are at least 5
Buckhead(outside of Buckhead Atlanta) has quite a few too...not sure exactly how much considering I don't really follow Buckhead projects. I can think of at least 4 immediately, and I suspect that number will grow.

There's probably more than 20 cranes at the moment...I wish the development was more concentrated though. Keep in mind, this number doesn't include smaller 3-6 story projects that don't require cranes.

Lots of the 3-6 story buildings have cranes, though. Cranes up for high-rises in any city save for NYC (where just about everything going up is high rise) are only a chunk of the overall number of cranes up overall. Smaller infill is by no means unique to Atlanta In fact, given land use there and the ability to go big and the need to go big to get certain returns, cities like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, etc typically have more "large" projects than small. Cities like SF, Boston, and Philly had a ton of small projects constantly going up that get lost in the shuffle and go unnoticed.

For instance, if you rent in Atlanta, there's a high likelihood you rent in a building with 100 or greater units. This is simply not the case in SF, Boston, or Philadelphia where most people rent in small walk-ups or 15-50 unit infill buildings. In terms of number of buildings going up, not number of units, most buildings going up in SF are small. However, they comprise a small chunk of the # of units going up now since, or the square footage in the case of office, because we are in a large in every sense of the word building boom. The most recent rental deliverable was 754 units in two towers - it would take dozens of smaller buildings in the city's neighborhoods to equal that. Most Atl buildings UC are 200-350 units.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:32 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
SF is losing a crane this week as the luffing over ORH North is being disassembled, however, 1 block away the base for the tower crane for 32 story 299 Fremont was put in place. We lose one, we gain one - wash on numbers.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:42 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
That Houston proposal is absolutely gorgeous. Hope it happens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City