Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 04:50 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes, a lot of people put emphasis on SD (my firm is included in this). For subjective reasons I personally think the Bay Area hits harder (more lab space, more VC...apparently more VC for Life Sciences than even Boston, more drivers, general glove fit for the local economy which is innovation oriented, etc etc). The UCSF, Stanford, and Berkeley combo (as they relate specifically to medicine, life science research, biology, chemistry, and certain fields of engineering like biomedical and chemical) is the only true competition to the programs focused on the same things within Boston. UCSF competes with Harvard medical. Stanford competes with Harvard medical and MIT engineering. Berkeley competes with MIT engineering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 04:56 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
^^^ U City to me would also compete on Life sciences with these - where U City is more deficient is non Life Sciences tech relative to the others - U City rank two behind Cambridge on many lists of Life Sciences and Med research (Penn, Chop, Jeff, etc.) as a stand alone cluster will look for the cluster ranks

Drexel is not the same player compared to a MIT or Berkely

Old 04-01-2014, 04:57 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
If you were posting this based on the Science City I posted, the Science city can't be built out till the BRT line Corridor Cities Transit way is built. Remember, it's going to be urban unlike the suburban nature of the others. That's why I brought it up.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
If you were posting this based on the Science City I posted, the Science city can't be built out till the BRT line Corridor Cities Transit way is built. Remember, it's going to be urban unlike the suburban nature of the others. That's why I brought it up.
no - in response to jsimms

So it will be a less urban incarnation of Cambridge or U City I suppose

Old 04-01-2014, 05:05 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:

So it will be a less urban incarnation of Cambridge or U City I suppose
No, it won't be urban compared to those. Those are in the city. It will be urban compared to Route 128 and Silicon Valley far from the city center. My question was will the suburbs of other cities urbanize like DC's suburbs are doing. The Science City is 25 miles outside DC.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
No, it won't be urban compared to those. Those are in the city. It will be urban compared to Route 128 and Silicon Valley far from the city center. My question was will the suburbs of other cities urbanize like DC's suburbs are doing. The Science City is 25 miles outside DC.
I do like the new 200 or is it 400 toll road - helpful for me getting to Gaithersburg - will be interesting to see this get developed

Old 04-01-2014, 05:12 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
Quote:
Your links basically validated what I said, if that is what you mean.

I agree with you, Cambridge and U City are urban-light (as urban as elite college campuses + hospitals + R&D centers mixed in with student housing, apartments, and some retail, can be). Science City will likely seem "manufactured" in contrast (if you want to know what Science City may look like, see Mission Bay in SF). SAN FRANCISCO | Mission Bay - Page 80 - SkyscraperPage Forum

It's all new ground-up buildout. Master-planned. Didn't take off until SFMTA extended light rail through it. Etc etc. It will be comparable to U City or Cambridge at buildout in less than 10 years, though with a newer, different, less old and urban feel. I would say it will also be somewhat comparable to Seaport in Boston.

U City is big, but Philadelphia as a whole just gets overshadowed by Boston and SF, which are two cities with talent pools too deep even for themselves. Both cities also receive the lionshare of all VC in the entire country. Penn alone cannot compete with the multiple research educational institutions found in SF and Boston. These sort of long term differentiators are what will keep Boston and SF at the clear top of the 21st century innovation economies, at least for the long term. Over time, things may change. There is also more interlap between traditional tech and life sciences than ever before.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:20 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
Honestly, if I had the money, I wouldn't mind moving to DC in an apartment. I'm sure plenty of people want to live in DC.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Your links basically validated what I said, if that is what you mean.

I agree with you, Cambridge and U City are urban-light (as urban as elite college campuses + hospitals + R&D centers mixed in with student housing, apartments, and some retail, can be). Science City will likely seem "manufactured" in contrast (if you want to know what Science City may look like, see Mission Bay in SF). SAN FRANCISCO | Mission Bay - Page 80 - SkyscraperPage Forum

It's all new ground-up buildout. Master-planned. Didn't take off until SFMTA extended light rail through it. Etc etc. It will be comparable to U City or Cambridge at buildout in less than 10 years, though with a newer, different, less old and urban feel. I would say it will also be somewhat comparable to Seaport in Boston.

U City is big, but Philadelphia as a whole just gets overshadowed by Boston and SF, which are two cities with talent pools too deep even for themselves. Both cities also receive the lionshare of all VC in the entire country. Penn alone cannot compete with the multiple research educational institutions found in SF and Boston. These sort of long term differentiators are what will keep Boston and SF at the clear top of the 21st century innovation economies, at least for the long term. Over time, things may change. There is also more interlap between traditional tech and life sciences than ever before.

Its not Penn alone but whatever as usual you are under represented Philly; especially on the Life Sciences metric

https://www.milkeninstitute.org/pdf/...cesRprt_ex.pdf

This is my industry actually, I know it extremely well

Old 04-01-2014, 10:57 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Jsimms3

I don't think any of us Philly posters claimed ONCE that Philly was the MSA with the most construction, we were simply the only ones contributing to the thread, along with MDAllstar. No one else was really contributing before that. Maybe someone from NYC and Seattle and Atlanta here and there, but that's it.

Still, the reason a lot of Philly posters, both here and on skyscraperpage are very excited about this Philly development going on, is because the city was in decline for 60 years. Philly is finally growing again for 7 years now, and by a good amount of people each year, and jobs are moving back to the city as well. New highrises are being built and retailers are moving into the city as well. It's an exciting time for a lot of people to be in Philly to see the renaissance.

It will be exciting to see the new towers getting going this year.

If all goes according to plan, Philly will see 24 towers under construction in 2014

1. Comcast Innovation and Technology Center- 59 floors- 1,121 feet
2. FMC Tower at Cira Centre South- 47 floors- 656 feet- site prep
3. SLS International- 47 floors- 567 feet
4. W & Element by Westin- 50 floors- 550 feet
5. Evo at Cira Centre South- 33 floors- 430 feet- Under Construction
6. 1601 Vine- 32 floors- 380 feet
7. Children's Hospital of Philadelphia at 700 Schuylkill- 23 floors- 375 feet
8. 1919 Market- 28 floors- 347 feet
9. 3601 Market- 28 floors- 320 feet- under construction
10. 1213 Walnut- 26 floors- 294 feet
11. Buerger Center for Advanced Pediatric Care- 14 floors- 292 feet- under construction
12. Chinatown Eastern Tower- 24 floors- 282 feet
13. Lancaster Square- 25 floors- 279 feet- under construction
14. 38Chestnut- 25 floors- 278 feet- under construction
15. Family Court Building- 15 floors- 265 feet- under construction
16. One Riverside- 21 floors- 249 feet
17. Temple University Science, Education & Research Center- 10 floors- 241 feet- under construction
18. 3737 Market- 13 floors- 221 feet- under construction
19. The View at Montgomery- 14 floors- 214 feet- under construction
20. Museum Towers II- 16 floors
21. 1900 Arch- 14 floors- Under Construction
22. 2021 Chestnut- 12 floors- Under Construction
23. Henry A. Jordan Medical Center- 11 floors- under construction
24. Rodin Square- 10 floors- site prep

There is also the possibility of the Mellon Independence Tower getting going this year at 35 floors and 429 feet, and phase one of the East Market development at 12th and Market which will include two towers on top of retail podiums, one tower with 325 apartments and the other with 250,000+ sq ft of office space.

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 04-01-2014 at 11:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City