Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 05:40 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times

Advertisements

Going by this thread is stupid. You don't see people from Atlanta posting every new development. There are plenty of developments I haven't posted. The central city of Atlanta(DT/Midtown) alone has about 10 developments UC right now. This doesn't include surrounding neighborhoods or Buckhead(which is on fire at the moment).

If we go by this, Atlanta is 5th. The problem is that this is by MSA and unfortunately, a good portion of the development is going to Perimeter Center which is just outside of the city limits. The unfortunate side effects of spread out development. Atlanta's central city would have been a beast if all of Buckhead and Perimeter's development were in downtown and Midtown.
Atlanta, Ga. - In Photos: The 20 U.S. Cities With The Most New Construction - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 06:57 PM

303 posts, read 578,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
No.

The rankings go:

1. New York City
2. Washington D.C.
3. Houston
4. Miami
5. San Francisco
6. Maybe Seattle?
7. Maybe Dallas?- Dallas isn't building many highrises though
8. then Probably Chicago
9. Then a toss up between Boston and Los Angeles
10. Then Philadelphia
11. THEN Atlanta

Philly has a chance to jump over a good amount of cities if all 24 of these highrises start construction this year though. It would probably jump over all cities and be right behind San Francisco.
I can maybe agree with you in the top 4 , but Chicago should be number 5. The downtown alone has more than 20 projects, that's including some skyscrapers. You also have allot things going on outside the downtown area.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:12 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
I'm not sure Houston is top 5 for MSA or downtown development, right now. Chicago definitely is, but is not currently, in this moment, ahead of SF (though typically is).

I would say

NYC
DC
SF
Miami
Chicago
Seattle
Boston
Houston
LA
Philly
Atlanta
Dallas

Old 04-10-2014, 08:45 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Also, by the end of this year, Miami's next tallest will be under-construction: http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs...7046/fD9IQ.jpg

Say hello to the Panorama Tower, at 830 feet and to begin construction in the third quarter of this year, will become the tallest building in Florida upon it's completion. Assuming the three super-talls remaim dormant.

Good times here in Southeast Florida, great times actually.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-10-2014 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: Forgot Chicago.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:42 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Also, by the end of this year, Miami's next tallest will be under-construction: http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs...7046/fD9IQ.jpg

Say hello to the Panorama Tower, at 830 feet and to begin construction in the third quarter of this year, will become the tallest building in Florida upon it's completion. Assuming the three super-talls remaim dormant.

Good times here in Southeast Florida, great times actually.
Several other cities around the US are getting new tallests as well. LA, San Fran, Philly, and NYC's new tallest is just finishing up.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Several other cities around the US are getting new tallests as well. LA, San Fran, Philly, and NYC's new tallest is just finishing up.
Yes, I'm aware of that and those are all things to cherish (even San Francisco, they're buildings a bloody female sex toy, a thousand foot one at that).

It's just nice to finally have a skyline that's not competing with Boston in terms of height. This is all Miami needed anyhow, one tall for the time being, the city itself is mass infill.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:47 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Yes, I'm aware of that and those are all things to cherish (except San Francisco, they're buildings a bloody female sex toy, a thousand foot one at that).

It's just nice to finally have a skyline that's not competing with Boston in terms of height. This is all Miami needed anyhow, one tall for the time being, the city itself is mass infill.
Lol. Miami will get there eventually in height. Miami still has a lot of developable land. With less land comes demand for taller buildings. Miami already has a large number of skyscrapers.

Plus, it's not always about highrises. Miami should strive to be more like Boston in built urban form. Do you think London and Paris rank among the best cities in the world because of their highrises? No lol.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:05 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Speaking of Houston, I think the new Marriott Marquis will break ground today. Another parking lot gone. Seems like downtown Houston is the hottest market in the city right now. Parking lots are disappearing.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:17 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Speaking of Houston, I think the new Marriott Marquis will break ground today. Another parking lot gone. Seems like downtown Houston is the hottest market in the city right now. Parking lots are disappearing.
I wish I could say the same about our downtown. I mean, yeah we have about 5 projects UC in downtown at the moment, but still. Oh well, I'm glad we're getting the Civil Rights National museum because it's a museum that actually fits Atlanta's identity and history.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:

Plus, it's not always about highrises. Miami should strive to be more like Boston in built urban form. Do you think London and Paris rank among the best cities in the world because of their highrises? No lol.
London and Paris are great world cities because of their cultural offerings, sophistication, economic prowess, affluence, linguistic influence, literature, identity, ability to attract premier world events (Olympics), ability to attract foreign interest and investment, and so on.

I don't get why you're quoting me to tell me that considering I took up residency in Washington DC and know there's more to a place than skyscrapers. Hella more to a place than skyscrapers. That and well, you're pretty into skyscrapers yourself, infinitely more posts on it than me. Touche amigo, no?

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-10-2014 at 11:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City