Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 12:17 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Several other cities around the US are getting new tallests as well. LA, San Fran, Philly, and NYC's new tallest is just finishing up.
I know NY is just about finished and Wilshire Grand in L.A. is u/c. What's going on with the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 12:27 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Yes, I'm aware of that and those are all things to cherish (even San Francisco, they're buildings a bloody female sex toy, a thousand foot one at that).
Funny- all I see is an inverted camel-toe.

Google Image Result for

Old 04-11-2014, 12:36 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Funny- all I see is an inverted camel-toe.

Google Image Result for
First class architecture.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:20 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,523 times
I've seen at least 3 sex organs and literally dozens of buildings before so I believe I am qualified to state that it looks most like the latter to me.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:10 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I'm not sure Houston is top 5 for MSA or downtown development, right now. Chicago definitely is, but is not currently, in this moment, ahead of SF (though typically is).

I would say

NYC
DC
SF
Miami
Chicago
Seattle
Boston
Houston
LA
Philly
Atlanta
Dallas
Seattle and Boston has more going on than Houston? The city and metro is on fire right now. As is DFW btw.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:28 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
No.

The rankings go:

1. New York City
2. Washington D.C.
3. Houston
4. Miami
5. San Francisco
6. Maybe Seattle?
7. Maybe Dallas?- Dallas isn't building many highrises though
8. then Probably Chicago
9. Then a toss up between Boston and Los Angeles
10. Then Philadelphia
11. THEN Atlanta

Philly has a chance to jump over a good amount of cities if all 24 of these highrises start construction this year though. It would probably jump over all cities and be right behind San Francisco.

New York? Miami? They weren't included in this thread were they?

Old 04-11-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Going by this thread is stupid. You don't see people from Atlanta posting every new development. There are plenty of developments I haven't posted. The central city of Atlanta(DT/Midtown) alone has about 10 developments UC right now. This doesn't include surrounding neighborhoods or Buckhead(which is on fire at the moment).

If we go by this, Atlanta is 5th. The problem is that this is by MSA and unfortunately, a good portion of the development is going to Perimeter Center which is just outside of the city limits. The unfortunate side effects of spread out development. Atlanta's central city would have been a beast if all of Buckhead and Perimeter's development were in downtown and Midtown.
Atlanta, Ga. - In Photos: The 20 U.S. Cities With The Most New Construction - Forbes

I don't think that link is focused on what this thread is about. That is any and every kind of construction and even renovations.

Look at what they listed for largest construction projects in cities:

D.C. = Alterations to the international Monetary Fund Headquarters
Dallas = Additions to Dallas Datacenter
L.A. = Renovations to Delta terminal 5
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.

According to the OP, this thread is about the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjonesHS View Post
Hello All,

I'm a long time reader, but first time poster on city-data.com. I love reading about the things happening in the cities across our country on here. I was wondering, which city has the most major projects in the planning stages? Please include:

-Mass Transit Expansions
-New Major Infill Development Projects
-Multi-Modal Transit Projects
-Urban Park Construction
-New Entertainment Complexes
-Sustainability Projects

I look forward to reading and learning more about each city. May the best city win!

Old 04-11-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I'm not sure Houston is top 5 for MSA or downtown development, right now. Chicago definitely is, but is not currently, in this moment, ahead of SF (though typically is).

I would say

NYC
DC
SF
Miami
Chicago
Seattle
Boston
Houston
LA
Philly
Atlanta
Dallas

I do think we need to keep in mind this is a thread that was supposed to be highlighting major projects in MSA's across the nation. Individual buildings are not major projects. Master planned massive developments are major projects. I don't know how this thread started to turn into tiny single buildings here and there instead of multi-building developments.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:51 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
What tier would the following hotels be in?

Conrad
Trump Hotel
Waldorf Astoria
I missed this post twice, sorry.

I'd put them all in that 5-star class. Waldorf and Conrad are both Hilton brands, and both are old established names. Coming from Starwood, I viewed Waldorf as a direct competitor to St. Regis (and Ritz).

Old 04-11-2014, 09:53 AM

There was a Major Boom in Washington D.C. this week as the most exciting redevelopment in the history of the entire city from a sustainability perspective is moving full steam ahead. The Federal Triangle in SW D.C. will be the first Eco District in the region and one of the largest if not the largest Eco District in the entire nation. The SW Eco District will provide a seismic shift in an area of the city that is known to be dead after hours.

This development is also going to help pay for the massive St. Elizabeth redevelopment taking place over in S.E. DC which includes tons of high-rise residential with first floor retail. It also includes institutional uses with universities opening a campus there and will serve as a tech company hub which Microsoft has committed to already. It will be a game changer for that part of the city.
Microsoft Commits to Opening D.C. Innovation Center - Housing Complex

In a region that is busting at the seams with development, this is probably the most exciting of all. It will truly be transformational and for all those into sustainability and green technology, this development will have everything from solar panels on buildings to rain gardens, this redevelopment will not disappoint.

GSA offers Cotton Annex and regional offices to advance construction work at St. Elizabeths - The Washington Post

General Services Administration presses forward with Southwest D.C. redevelopment plan - Washington Business Journal)

Master Plan:
http://www.ncpc.gov/plans/swecodistrict.pdf
http://www.ncpc.gov/swecodistrict/

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City