Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2013, 12:17 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Also, why leave out NYC? It's nice to have it in the mix so there's a default right answer.
World Trade Center
99 Church Street
Hudson Yards
Fulton Street Station

I know I'm forgetting a LOT more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 01:23 AM

557 posts, read 715,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
D.C.'s Union Station development runs circles around SF's Trans Bay Terminal and it's not close.

Burnham Place at Union Station Master Plan receives an Award for Regional & Urban Design - YouTube
That is cool too. I wouldn't say it "runs circles around SF's" though. All of SOMA is getting skyscrapers all over from the Tranbay Transit Center. Definitely on par with anything happening in DC.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:24 AM

Quote:
D.C.'s Union Station development runs circles around San Fran's Trans Bay Terminal. I mean, how many people even ride the train on the west coast anyway?

[vimeo]75326263[/vimeo]
[vimeo]75326263[/vimeo]
[vimeo]75326263[/vimeo]
Burnham-Place 2013 on Vimeo
Quite a few in the SF Bay Area, I think you have them confused with Los Angeles (which is getting better too btw).

Old 11-03-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Wait......this doesn't connect to BART......smh......
I read awhile back they were planning some tunnels to connect to Embarcadero BART and MUNI subway and were considering another one to the Montgomery Station. I'm not sure if both are still happening, it has been awhile since I've heard anything. I'm sure it will connect to at least one of them, if not both eventually. They are planning on building a second transbay tube as well which will go straight to the TTC, and also have it four tracks to bring standard gauge commuter trains from East Bay. The second tube is awhile off though.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:37 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Youre right. I feel like Im in a foreign country when I experience DCs rural feeling urbanized area density.

Old McDonald had a farm. lol
Jesus, tell me about it. The rest of the US doesn't really register as a city compared to NYC. The differences between SF, DC, or whatever other urban city in the US are pretty much infinitesimal in comparison.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:53 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Jesus, tell me about it. The rest of the US doesn't really register as a city compared to NYC. The differences between SF, DC, or whatever other urban city in the US are pretty much infinitesimal in comparison.
Invoking New York at the first sign of trouble is like a Northeastern hallmark in C-D.

http://imageshack.us/a/img525/3420/coattails.jpg

1 We don't Care

2 DC is still low density compared to SF whether you include NY in the conversation or not.

Last edited by JMT; 11-04-2013 at 07:49 PM..

Old 11-03-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
World Trade Center
99 Church Street
Hudson Yards
Fulton Street Station

I know I'm forgetting a LOT more.
The controversial Atlantic Yards development which includes the new Barclays Center

The expansion of the High Line Park (sort of in connection with Hudson Yards)

7 train subway extension to Javits Center

2nd avenue subway, 1st phase

East Side Access giving LIRR access to Grand Central

Continuing expansion of citibike bike share (largest in the US by a significant margin already)

One 57, tallest residential tower in the Western Hemisphere

Several other random skyscrapers

ongoing Brooklyn Navy Yard redevelopment

ongoing Brooklyn Bridge Park redevelopment

New Staten Island Railway station (which gets, like, no press)

Old 11-03-2013, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Invoking New York at the first sign of trouble is like a Northeastern hallmark in C-D.
Don't care about the northeast. There's only one city in the US and it just happens to be in the northeast. You and MDAllStar have got a nice war of the pygmies going on. Continue!

Old 11-03-2013, 01:04 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Don't care about the northeast. There's only one city in the US and it just happens to be in the northeast.
Boston is great, spectacular in fact, but it's not the only city in the US or Northeast. You should travel more often.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:55 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
That is cool too. I wouldn't say it "runs circles around SF's" though. All of SOMA is getting skyscrapers all over from the Tranbay Transit Center. Definitely on par with anything happening in DC.

My point was not about the density or design of the projects. Both are great in their own way. My point was DC's Union Station is already the second busiest Amtrak train station in the nation. Ridership is expected to triple when the expansion is complete. San Fran's Trans Bay terminal isn't in the same league as Union Station in DC. The retail and restaurants at Union Station are also something the Trans Bay Terminal will never be able to compete with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City