Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 11:02 AM

8 posts, read 96,035 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'm a long time reader, but first time poster on city-data.com. I love reading about the things happening in the cities across our country on here. I was wondering, which city has the most major projects in the planning stages? Please include:

-Mass Transit Expansions
-New Major Infill Development Projects
-Multi-Modal Transit Projects
-Urban Park Construction
-New Entertainment Complexes
-Sustainability Projects

I look forward to reading and learning more about each city. May the best city win!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 11:04 AM

137 posts, read 220,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjonesHS View Post
Hello All,

I'm a long time reader, but first time poster on city-data.com. I love reading about the things happening in the cities across our country on here. I was wondering, which city has the most major projects in the planning stages? Please include:

-Mass Transit Expansions
-New Major Infill Development Projects
-Multi-Modal Transit Projects
-Urban Park Construction
-New Entertainment Complexes
-Sustainability Projects

I look forward to reading and learning more about each city.
DC is the sure stand out, out of this group though most of the new development is cookie cutter unfortunately.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralyber View Post
DC is the sure stand out, out of this group though most of the new development is cookie cutter unfortunately.

Really? I would think Atlanta, Houston, or Dallas had the most projects going on. I have read about the beltline in Atlanta which is the largest urban redevelopment in the nation. The DART expansion in Dallas is also happening rapidly. I know Dallas and Houston lead on job growth too which should mean a lot of projects. L.A. also has a lot of stuff going on with major expansions. Does D.C. have anything happening that can compare to those cities?

Old 10-01-2013, 11:10 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,739 times
Here is a Google map of developments in DFW. Ive' noticed it's mostly urban, office, transit, and major projects. Doesn't include subdivisions and the like of the suburbs. You can find the transit projects in pages 2-4.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...78361,0.169086

Old 10-01-2013, 11:15 AM

L.A. has a master plan for Union Station I beleive. Does anyone have the background on that?

Old 10-01-2013, 11:30 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
L.A. has a master plan for Union Station I beleive. Does anyone have the background on that?
Yes big plans for Union Station: Los Angeles Union Station Master Plan

The area around Union Station (Lincoln Heights, Chinatown, etc.) was rezoned with zero parking requirements (meaning the developer is free to add as much or as little parking as is necessary). Another big project that is sort of related is the freeway cap park between the Union Station area and Bunker Hill / Civic Center area.

I think development-wise, other cities are probably ahead of Los Angeles (though it has major construction booms in multiple centers - Hollywood, DTLA, Santa Monica, Koreatown, Glendale, Century City). However Los Angeles does have what will be the tallest building on the West Coast (for now) under construction.

Transit-wise, the Los Angeles area is right up there with DC as having the most projects in the works. Right now the Expo Line Phase II and Gold Line Foothill Extension Phase I are under construction. The Regional Connector (turns the Blue, Gold and Expo lines into two huge N/S and E/W lines), Purple Line Extensions and LAX / Crenshaw Corridor are gearing up for major construction in the next year or so. Also there is the DTLA Streetcar, which I am not clear of the timetable.

So while I don't know enough about the other cities' projects to accurately compare, Los Angeles is certainly experiencing quite a boom.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yes big plans for Union Station: [URL="http://www.metro.net/projects/la-union-station/"]Los Angeles Union Station Master Plan[/URL]

The area around Union Station (Lincoln Heights, Chinatown, etc.) was rezoned with zero parking requirements (meaning the developer is free to add as much or as little parking as is necessary). Another big project that is sort of related is the freeway cap park between the Union Station area and Bunker Hill / Civic Center area.

I think development-wise, other cities are probably ahead of Los Angeles (though it has major construction booms in multiple centers - Hollywood, DTLA, Santa Monica, Koreatown, Glendale, Century City). However Los Angeles does have what will be the tallest building on the West Coast (for now) under construction.

Transit-wise, the Los Angeles area is right up there with DC as having the most projects in the works. Right now the Expo Line Phase II and Gold Line Foothill Extension Phase I are under construction. The Regional Connector (turns the Blue, Gold and Expo lines into two huge N/S and E/W lines), Purple Line Extensions and LAX / Crenshaw Corridor are gearing up for major construction in the next year or so. Also there is the DTLA Streetcar, which I am not clear of the timetable.

So while I don't know enough about the other cities' projects to accurately compare, Los Angeles is certainly experiencing quite a boom.

Thanks! Union Station looks pretty impressive. How tall will the building under construction be? Do you know anything about D.C.? Everyone keeps saying there is a lot of stuff going on there apparently. I was in D.C. in the early 2000's and it was very rundown.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:44 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Thanks! Union Station looks pretty impressive. How tall will the building under construction be? Do you know anything about D.C.? Everyone keeps saying there is a lot of stuff going on there apparently. I was in D.C. in the early 2000's and it was very rundown.
A visit is seriously due for you. This town doesn't even look like it did in 2008.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:56 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,712,349 times
I believe Twin Cities have a lot of upcoming projects as well (if I'm not mistaken).

Old 10-01-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
A visit is seriously due for you. This town doesn't even look like it did in 2008.

What is different about it? I haven't been back in over a decade, but there was so much decay when I last was there it must have changed at a pretty rapid rate to be spoken of so highly. Could you post some projects going on in D.C.? Is there anything on the scale of the beltline in Atlanta?

What about some of the other cities like Philly and San Fran? Anybody know anything about them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City