Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 09:55 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I missed this post twice, sorry.

I'd put them all in that 5-star class. Waldorf and Conrad are both Hilton brands, and both are old established names. Coming from Starwood, I viewed Waldorf as a direct competitor to St. Regis (and Ritz).

Thanks, I was wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 10:32 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
New render for the redesigned W in Philly - breaking ground in July - 582 feet - straight from the source actually - actually am surprised thought this would not happen
Attached Thumbnails
Which MSA has the most major projects coming up:  ATL, HOU, DAL, L.A., Seattle, D.C., Philly, Bos, San Fran, or Chi?-yhgcth7.jpg  

Last edited by kidphilly; 04-11-2014 at 10:40 AM..

Old 04-11-2014, 10:37 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
I've seen at least 3 sex organs and literally dozens of buildings before so I believe I am qualified to state that it looks most like the latter to me.
It's a fine building I suppose, one of my favorite cities in the world, Seoul, is building one exactly like it except taller (the Lokhe Tower (spelling?)). Transbay is being developed by Gerald Hines, he knows how to make quality work fit with the surroundings and he knows a thing or two about creating new icons for cities, he's done so several times in the past.

I just like the next five or six tallest buildings proposed for San Francisco more, especially the second one on Pacific is gorgeous all around. I think it's a wonderful city, one where if I didn't have so many family members and friends living there, I'd live there with no reservations.

I'm happy to see a great city get a much needed facelift to it's skyline. It was much needed office space too. No ill feelings from my end.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:40 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I know NY is just about finished and Wilshire Grand in L.A. is u/c. What's going on with the others.
Transbay Tower in San Francisco. 1,070 ft. New tallest in the city.

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in Philadelphia. 1,121 ft. Tallest in the city and tallest in the country outside of New York and Chicago.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:41 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,641,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
There was a Major Boom in Washington D.C. this week as the most exciting redevelopment in the history of the entire city from a sustainability perspective is moving full steam ahead. The Federal Triangle in SW D.C. will be the first Eco District in the region and one of the largest if not the largest Eco District in the entire nation. The SW Eco District will provide a seismic shift in an area of the city that is known to be dead after hours.

This development is also going to help pay for the massive St. Elizabeth redevelopment taking place over in S.E. DC which includes tons of high-rise residential with first floor retail. It also includes institutional uses with universities opening a campus there and will serve as a tech company hub which Microsoft has committed to already. It will be a game changer for that part of the city.
Microsoft Commits to Opening D.C. Innovation Center - Housing Complex

In a region that is busting at the seams with development, this is probably the most exciting of all. It will truly be transformational and for all those into sustainability and green technology, this development will have everything from solar panels on buildings to rain gardens, this redevelopment will not disappoint.

GSA offers Cotton Annex and regional offices to advance construction work at St. Elizabeths - The Washington Post

General Services Administration presses forward with Southwest D.C. redevelopment plan - Washington Business Journal)

Master Plan:
http://www.ncpc.gov/plans/swecodistrict.pdf
http://www.ncpc.gov/swecodistrict/

Its a beautiful plan- I hope to see it completely implemented one day. Taking it with a grain of salt though- it was put out by the National Capital Planning Commission. The NCPC is a federal organization and really just sets the vision and then sits back and waits for DC to do the rest. Its up to the local DC government to decide whether they even want to follow through or not, to figure out how they will fund it, how long they will take, etc.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:54 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,383 times
It should be pointed out for all of the TB Tower doubters out there that over 50% of the tower is now committed.

Official press release:

Boston Properties Signs a 714,000 Square Foot Lease with Salesforce.com at Salesforce Tower (Formerly Transbay Tower)

And the rumor is that Box.com is taking all of 222 Second (450,000 SF and 26 stories). Tishman Speyer just put up a Liebher Luffing tower crane on site (foundation is already poured and site excavated down), as well as put up a new website and a web cam.

I think SF may be in the #2 spot behind NYC...of course I'm biased, but it's not just the city going insane either. Curbed SF had the following article out the other day about all of the tech companies building new campuses in the Valley (and of course there is a subsequent multifamily boom there and in Oakland as well). Article has renderings, a map, and some information.

http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...con_valley.php

Old 04-11-2014, 10:59 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
It should be pointed out for all of the TB Tower doubters out there that over 50% of the tower is now committed.

Official press release:

Boston Properties Signs a 714,000 Square Foot Lease with Salesforce.com at Salesforce Tower (Formerly Transbay Tower)

And the rumor is that Box.com is taking all of 222 Second (450,000 SF and 26 stories). Tishman Speyer just put up a Liebher Luffing tower crane on site (foundation is already poured and site excavated down), as well as put up a new website and a web cam.

I think SF may be in the #2 spot behind NYC...of course I'm biased, but it's not just the city going insane either. Curbed SF had the following article out the other day about all of the tech companies building new campuses in the Valley (and of course there is a subsequent multifamily boom there and in Oakland as well).

Seven New Tech Campuses Changing the Face of Silicon Valley - Curbed Maps - Curbed SF
That is good news -could start moving fast

Comcast just got all the final approvals this week as well from the city (and 100% leased) - expected to start construction June or July

these two may be rising concurrently on separate coasts

Old 04-11-2014, 11:12 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post

Official press release:

No one was doubting it would happen. It was a matter of WHEN will it happen, not if.

Glad they finally got a tenant! It will be nice to see supertalls in other cities in the US.

I agree with the guys over at skyscraper forum that Salesforce Tower is a terrible name lol. They should name it Cloud Tower or keep it Transbay Tower. Even Salesforce Center sounds better than tower.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:17 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Love the renderings for the Silicon Valley campuses. It's naive to think that all jobs will be based in major urban centers -- these developments look like spectacular, innovative models to follow.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:41 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Its a beautiful plan- I hope to see it completely implemented one day. Taking it with a grain of salt though- it was put out by the National Capital Planning Commission. The NCPC is a federal organization and really just sets the vision and then sits back and waits for DC to do the rest. Its up to the local DC government to decide whether they even want to follow through or not, to figure out how they will fund it, how long they will take, etc.

No, the NCPC just put together the master plan. The redevelopment is being done by the private sector through Federal land swaps. There is VERY HIGH private sector developer interest in this project.

GSA had 10 different responses from developers over a year ago in March of 2013 for this project. They are moving forward now a year later.
GSA receives 10 responses for proposed redevelopment of Federal Triangle South - Capital Business Blog - The Washington Post

Many of the federal buildings will be demolished and new residential high-rise's with green walls, rain gardens, solar panels, etc. etc. etc. will take their place. Neighborhood living near the National Mall? - The Washington Post

"Another 1 million square feet of office space, 1.8 million square feet of housing and 1.2 million square feet of cultural attractions, including five sites for new memorials. By upgrading its facilities, NCPC estimates that the federal government could also reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the area by 51 percent and water use by 70 percent."

Also, this isn't a plan for the future, the first phase is happening now. GSA just put out an RFQ to get ready for the overhaul of parcel A and B.
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...e&tabmode=list&=

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-11-2014 at 11:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City