Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 10:18 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,981,704 times

Advertisements

I don't care for Austin's crazy long I-35 rush hour backs up. It's sucks to be stuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 11:57 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London_knowledge View Post
Why would you not consider a high risk earthquake zone before you moved somewhere new? Are you a moron or something who doesn't think about these things?
Tornadoes you get warnings about and dallas hasnt really been hit by major ones despite being in tornado alley it hasnt had any catastrophic ones like many other cities. San fran is due a huge 8 or 9 quake and you will have no warning
Moron?One thing I have not done is resorted to name caling despite your very ignorant rants.It shows exactly what type of mentality we are dealing with.Good luck with Dallas.Im sure they will LOVE you.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I agree. Ive read alot about it and youre right it will really mess up san fran. Thankfully they have built alot of buildings to withstand alot of the shock. Seattle is due a huge one too about 9 with possible tsunami threat too. I personally dont like those odds! Seattle haven't really prepared their architecture for this though.
The guy who laughed at me for taking into consideration an earthquake threat city is a moron in my opinion lol.
Its obvious your opinion is worth little.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:09 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Why would you not consider a high risk earthquake zone before you moved somewhere new? Are you a moron or something who doesn't think about these things?
Tornadoes you get warnings about and dallas hasnt really been hit by major ones despite being in tornado alley it hasnt had any catastrophic ones like many other cities. San fran is due a huge 8 or 9 quake and you will have no warning
It may be time for you to do some homework. What do you know about tornados? Tornado warnings? Sirens going off, news casts coming on but there is no way to predict where it will touch down! DFW has not been hit over the last few years? Tell that to the families of those who did not make it!
If weather and climate is a factor for you (even though you do not seem to have too many clues about it) that does not mean everyone freaks over it and is a moron.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
It may be time for you to do some homework. What do you know about tornados? Tornado warnings? Sirens going off, news casts coming on but there is no way to predict where it will touch down! DFW has not been hit over the last few years? Tell that to the families of those who did not make it!
If weather and climate is a factor for you (even though you do not seem to have too many clues about it) that does not mean everyone freaks over it and is a moron.
Don't waste your time.He just wants to feel better about the ignorant statements he made.He can't so he resorts to name calling.So typical.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:21 AM

89 posts, read 96,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Which dallas tornado are you talking about recently? The highest number if deaths from a tornado in dallas is 24. That was in 1919.
The 1906 san fran earthquake killed over 3000 alone.
You do the math. So I will repeat- in my opinion and in many other people's opinions im sure, anyone who doesn't take into consideration the high risk earthquake factor of a city before they move there is a moron.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:58 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,322,252 times
^ there was a tornado outbreak in the Dallas area in May of this year.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Which dallas tornado are you talking about recently? The highest number if deaths from a tornado in dallas is 24. That was in 1919.
You do the math. So I will repeat- in my opinion and in many other people's opinions im sure, anyone who doesn't take into consideration the high risk earthquake factor of a city before they move there is a moron.
I agree that anyone considering moving to the San Francisco area would be crazy not to at least consider the risk of a catastrophic (and overdue) earthquake.

That being said, the Dallas area is not tornado free - in fact, in May of 2013 six people in an area close to Dallas (Granbury) were killed in a tornado outbreak that did extensive damage in the DFW area. Granbury is about an hour southwest of Dallas, so technically Dallas didn't have any casualties, but there was significant tornado damage throughout many parts of the Dallas area.

6 dead, 7 missing as tornadoes rip through Texas - U.S. News

Just so you know! However, I've lived here for over twenty years (two hours east of Dallas) and though we have tornado watches and warnings nearly every single year, and local damage from storms every year, I've never personally experienced any damage worse than a few tree limbs down. When I lived in Central Texas, however, I was in a tornado that hit Fort Hood and it did SIGNIFICANT and pretty impressive damage, though no one was killed:

Ft. Hood Storm Damage $600 Million - Los Angeles Times

Old 11-10-2013, 09:36 AM

89 posts, read 96,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree that anyone considering moving to the San Francisco area would be crazy not to at least consider the risk of a catastrophic (and overdue) earthquake.

That being said, the Dallas area is not tornado free - in fact, in May of 2013 six people in an area close to Dallas (Granbury) were killed in a tornado outbreak that did extensive damage in the DFW area. Granbury is about an hour southwest of Dallas, so technically Dallas didn't have any casualties, but there was significant tornado damage throughout many parts of the Dallas area.

6 dead, 7 missing as tornadoes rip through Texas - U.S. News

Just so you know! However, I've lived here for over twenty years (two hours east of Dallas) and though we have tornado watches and warnings nearly every single year, and local damage from storms every year, I've never personally experienced any damage worse than a few tree limbs down. When I lived in Central Texas, however, I was in a tornado that hit Fort Hood and it did SIGNIFICANT and pretty impressive damage, though no one was killed:

Ft. Hood Storm Damage $600 Million - Los Angeles Times
Yeah I did look in Tornados in Dallas. It looks like they happen occasionally in the spring months. It didnt put me off dallas though as from what ive read they are not completely catastrophic. But obviously it is an issue to consider. I would still rather live in Dallas than san fran as you say there is a huge one overdue there.
I wouldn't move there personally for that fact alone.
Ive narrowed it down to houston or dallas now. Also another city ive been looking into is Henderson (las vegas).

Old 11-10-2013, 02:58 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,439,496 times
Quote:
I'm sure the 8.3 million people living in the San Fran Bay area are glad to know you consider them to be morons. And if it's true that has the be the most colossal collection of people with a mental age between 8 and 12 on the face of this earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City