Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most like New York City?
Dallas 3 3.06%
Houston 8 8.16%
Phoenix 1 1.02%
Austin 0 0%
Atlanta 25 25.51%
Orlando 4 4.08%
Denver 1 1.02%
San Antonio 0 0%
Charlotte 1 1.02%
Seattle 55 56.12%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 08:25 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Seattle is nothing like New York. Seaport, yes, but even Minneapolis is more urban.
Minneapolis is not one of the choices. Given the choices, I agree with MM and the poll results, Seattle is the clear choice within those confines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 08:55 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,825,742 times
Quote:
Seattle is nothing like New York. Seaport, yes, but even Minneapolis is more urban.
Lol
Seattle is more dense and a much larger downtown population. Seattle also has a much larger public transit system.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:57 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,903,148 times
Seattle I guess?

Which one of these cities is the most unlike NYC is an even harder question to answer lol!

Old 11-26-2013, 09:00 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Philly doesn't really look like NYC. Too many rowhouses

Old 11-26-2013, 09:03 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,825,742 times
Why did you put seattle in a poll comparing it to NY when compared to other cities Seattle is the only city with multiple department stores, to mention seattle has over 100,000 peole living downtown and over 15,000 hotel rooms. It seems so unfair comparing it to much smaller cities in the poll ?

Old 11-26-2013, 09:24 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Lol
Seattle is more dense and a much larger downtown population. Seattle also has a much larger public transit system.
Ok, Seattle has a razor-thin edge on Minneapolis in terms of population density (7,040 compared vs. 7,019 people per square mile). But Minneapolis is more like New York in so many ways.

There's nothing urban about Seattle. They have Capital Hill, which is nothing spectacular, comparable to Uptown Minneapolis. In addition to Uptown, Minneapolis also has Nordeast, Seward, and Dinkeytown which are all booming.

New York has the most Fortune 500 companies in country. Minneapolis has 13, Seattle has 4.

New York has the most theater seats in the country. Minneapolis is second.

Minneapolis has the largest fringe festival in the country.

New York has the most skyscrapers of any city in the country. Minneapolis' skyline has 34, while Seattle's has 24.

New York is more diverse than Minneapolis, but Minneapolis is more diverse than Seattle.

15% of Seattle residents identify as LGBT, but 12.5% of Minneapolis' residents identify the same, closer to New York's 4.5%.

Minneapolis has the largest East African population in the country, while St. Paul has the largest Hmong population. What does Seattle have?

Minneapolis nickname is "The Minnie Apple."

But really, none of these cities are anything like New York. This thread is a ridiculous, and I feel like I just wasted the past fifteen minutes of my life responding to it.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 11-26-2013 at 09:39 PM..

Old 11-26-2013, 10:01 PM

572 posts, read 709,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston because it was founded by two brothers from NYC.
Lol. Whut

Old 11-26-2013, 11:34 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
Quote:
Ok, Seattle has a razor-thin edge on Minneapolis in terms of population density (7,040 compared vs. 7,019 people per square mile). But Minneapolis is more like New York in so many ways.

There's nothing urban about Seattle. They have Capital Hill, which is nothing spectacular, comparable to Uptown Minneapolis. In addition to Uptown, Minneapolis also has Nordeast, Seward, and Dinkeytown which are all booming.

New York has the most Fortune 500 companies in country. Minneapolis has 13, Seattle has 4.

New York has the most theater seats in the country. Minneapolis is second.

Minneapolis has the largest fringe festival in the country.

New York has the most skyscrapers of any city in the country. Minneapolis' skyline has 34, while Seattle's has 24.

New York is more diverse than Minneapolis, but Minneapolis is more diverse than Seattle.

15% of Seattle residents identify as LGBT, but 12.5% of Minneapolis' residents identify the same, closer to New York's 4.5%.

Minneapolis has the largest East African population in the country, while St. Paul has the largest Hmong population. What does Seattle have?

Minneapolis nickname is "The Minnie Apple."

But really, none of these cities are anything like New York. This thread is a ridiculous, and I feel like I just wasted the past fifteen minutes of my life responding to it.
LOL way to look on Wikipedia, Minneapolis has 34 buildings over 300 feet while Seattle had 24 (not including the many proposed and approve ones) over 400 feet. Seattle has so many skyscrapers between 400-300 feet it would be a waste of time to list them all so you are wrong their. And total city densities have nothing to do with the Density in the Urban core. MSP Density within the city center (within a mile from city hall US census) is 12,000 compared to the 22,000 in Seattle. Hardly any comparison there though Minnie does well. And what significance does that LGBT stat have? Also Seattle has more then 4 fortune 500 companies with Starbucks, Costco, Microsoft, Amazon, Paccar, REI, Nordstroms, not even to mention Seattle is a growing tech hub and even though Minneapolis way have more companies they still cannot equal the amount of money accumulated from the Big Businesses of Seattle. Seattle has the worlds largest Marijuana festival, and is quickly become one of the fastest growing urban centers in North America. So yes I think I this stage Seattle has the upper hand, though non are NYC

Old 11-27-2013, 12:06 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,664 times
Oooh...I know, I know. Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens??

Old 11-27-2013, 01:08 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
Lol. Whut
You didn't know this? That's why Houston is called New New Amsterdam. It's just like Holland, but better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City