Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 09:03 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'd definitely disagree. I am biased but neither city invented a genre of music which influenced other genres like hip-hop, soul, rock, and blues. Neither city has a Cash Money or No Limit records like history.
I think your bias is causing you to nitpick just a bit here. The cities' roles aren't identical with respect to the genres each city is more closely associated with, but they are all in the same orbit in terms of their influence and impact on American musical culture at large. Nashville (as well as Memphis) certainly deserves much credit for cultivating the recording and songwriting industries that introduced the genres to the wider public.

Quote:
Maybe in the US but definitely not around the world. I know Nashville is getting popular but people don't gush over Nashville or it's hot chicken nearly as hard as they do about almost everything in New Orleans.
Actually a lot of folks gush over Nashville these days, as a place to visit, live, and do business (not going to bring hot chicken into this because as far as cuisine goes, that's not a contest vs New Orleans); after all, it's the new cool kid on the block. New Orleans is a mainstay so I wouldn't say people "gush" over it (same goes for, say, Chicago and New York) and even then, it's primarily as a place to visit. New Orleans is unique in that many regard its positives as a tourist hub about as strongly as they do its drawbacks as a place to live or do business (although Memphis comes close too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City