Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state do you prefer?
Ohio 44 48.89%
Georgia 38 42.22%
Neither 8 8.89%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 12:35 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,050,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Actually it is.Im proud of it.You don't have to like it but cultured people respect each others differences and culture.Especially if you are ignorant of what it is.
Sapelo Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Because there's so much respect from you guys to Ohio here? Please. You guys are doing a fantastic job bringing it down on yourselves.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
I find Atlantans annoying from time to time but I'm getting a little annoyed with Northerners making fun of "only 2 inches shutting down the city". It wasn't two inches of snow that did it because there has been accumulating snow in Atlanta and other parts of the Deep South at least once each year for the past few years. THIS particular storm involved sleet, freezing rain, and snow that fell on totally untreated roads that quickly congealed into a solid sheet of pure ice. The same thing happened in Mobile, AL with a solid half ince sheet of freezing rain and sleet and cars could even gain enough traction to leave a flat parking lot. NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY can drive on a solid sheet of ice especially in a hilly city like Birmingham, Atlanta, or even Cincinatti under those conditions. I've been a lifelong resident of the Deep South but did live in Colorado one winter/spring ski season and had no problems driving my Honda Accord (without chains) to the ski resort and back and also through Monarch Pass (over 12,000 feet at pass level). Driving on pre-treated and plowed roads makes all the difference in the world. No treatment of the roads in Atlanta and absolutely no work on them led to the streets turning into ice skating rinks.
I'm not making fun. I think it's a totally serious problem with how cities have chosen to build. Atlanta is kind of the poster child of terribly planned development and the snow disaster just highlighted that. I feel for all those people who had to deal with that situation, but it's also a problem created almost entirely by themselves and to very poor forethought.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:46 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I'm not making fun. I think it's a totally serious problem with how cities have chosen to build. Atlanta is kind of the poster child of terribly planned development and the snow disaster just highlighted that. I feel for all those people who had to deal with that situation, but it's also a problem created almost entirely by themselves and to very poor forethought.
This simply has nothing to do with the topic at hand. If you want to slam Atlanta for sprawl, sure go ahead with that well-worn refrain. But other sprawling cities have prepared well for winter storms, and more urban cities have also had their challenges with such. You keep harping on this unrelated point that has nothing to do with nothing.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Dude, just stop, LOL. Because of the condition of the roads, even short trips were a pain. On iced over roads, it doesn't matter if you're traveling 10 miles or 50.

You're really straining to connect two extremely unrelated issues all because you wanted to take a jab at Atlanta on a point that's extremely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
If you think they're unrelated, then you really don't understand/follow development issues. They're entirely related. Granted, this is not a problem unique to Atlanta, but it's a pretty stark example of just how terribly US cities have been building.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This simply has nothing to do with the topic at hand. If you want to slam Atlanta for sprawl, sure go ahead with that well-worn refrain. But other sprawling cities have prepared well for winter storms, and more urban cities have also had their challenges with such. You keep harping on this unrelated point that has nothing to do with nothing.
So the topic came up. Is there such a thing as a thread that doesn't go off into multiple tangents? I haven't seen that. In any case, you may not want to talk about the sprawl issue, but it's not something I pulled out of my *ss. It is what it is. Atlanta has a ton of sprawl. That's not even up for debate.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:15 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,186 times
Quote:
So the topic came up. Is there such a thing as a thread that doesn't go off into multiple tangents? I haven't seen that. In any case, you may not want to talk about the sprawl issue, but it's not something I pulled out of my *ss. It is what it is. Atlanta has a ton of sprawl. That's not even up for debate.
So do most U.S. cities. It's not something that Atlanta has alone. The only cities that can say they aren't as sprawled are Northeastern cities.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:17 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
If you think they're unrelated, then you really don't understand/follow development issues. They're entirely related. Granted, this is not a problem unique to Atlanta, but it's a pretty stark example of just how terribly US cities have been building.
I understand and follow development issues quite well, but trying to connect the concept of a "real city" with lack of preparedness for a winter storm is about the hugest stretch you can come up with. If you wanted to criticize Atlanta as far as sprawl goes, then do that on its own merits. You're only digging yourself into a deeper hole that you'll have more and more difficulty getting out of by trying to connect this with a winter storm.

Quote:
Who's debating it? But again, trying to connect the concept of a "real city" with a lack of preparedness for a storm is an unwarranted stretch and an epic fail. ANY metro region will have chaos if faced with similar circumstances that we were faced with, and that includes DC back in 2010 or 2011.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:41 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Because there's so much respect from you guys to Ohio here? Please. You guys are doing a fantastic job bringing it down on yourselves.
You sure?Prove it.So what did I say about Ohio that was bad and not true?

Old 02-08-2014, 09:50 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Population growth or loss has absolutely nothing to do with a state's amenities or density/urbanity or any of that. It has to do with economics, perceived or otherwise. Georigia had better economics for a while, largely almost exclusively because of Atlanta. That is changing over time, as all economics tend to do, but it's not an indication of Ohio being worse or Georgia being better on anything other than jobs the last few decades.
People will move for a job but most people are not going to move somewhere they hate not even for a job.Or at least they won't stay there.

I have NEVER heard anyone say Im moving to Ohio because of its COL.I have heard and met people move to Georgia for that reason.
People come to Georgia without a job all the time.Why?Because they WANT tp be here.

People are not flocking to Ohio because they like it.If people move to Ohio it more than likely because of family or a job.Rarely for a "lifestyle" change.

People do move to Georgia for a better quality of life.Im not saying Georgia is perfect but having nicer weather a relatively low cost of living is a major plus.

Atlanta is by far the biggest city but Savannah,Augusta and Columbus all have population that are growing.Not shrinking because there are being jobs created in those cities also.

All of those cities are reinventing themselves and are becoming more popular.Especially Savannah.

Savannah Port is booming!With its expansion its about to really explode in the future.
Brunswick is the other booming port.
Georgia us very aggressive in getting business.

One example is NCR moving from Dayton a few years ago and now is headquartered in Atlanta.

Its not just American companies but international ones too.Atlanta ranks fourth in the U.S. by number of foreign companies with their North American headquarters located here.Just behind Toronto.
It must be a desirable place if even international companies keep locating here.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:12 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

I have NEVER heard anyone say Im moving to Ohio because of its COL.I have heard and met people move to Georgia for that reason.
People come to Georgia without a job all the time.Why?Because they WANT tp be here.

People are not flocking to Ohio because they like it.If people move to Ohio it more than likely because of family or a job.Rarely for a "lifestyle" change.

People do move to Georgia for a better quality of life.Im not saying Georgia is perfect but having nicer weather a relatively low cost of living is a major plus.
I have heard of people saying they wanna move to Ohio for a lower COL. Personally, I've never heard ANYONE say they want to move to Georgia at all, for any reason.

My point is, personal anecdotes don't mean anything. Of course people in the south probably talk more about Atlanta or Georgia and if you live in the south, you'll hear about that more. If you're from Indiana, Pennsylvania, Michigan, or other northern states, you'll hear more about Ohio and less about Georgia.

This shouldn't be difficult to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City