Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle vs Dallas which city do you prefer?
Seattle 259 67.98%
Dallas 122 32.02%
Voters: 381. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 07:59 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
How do you know it's not? I've never once seen Seattle on that list of most suicides, but it still gets passed as "facts" just because somebody heard otherwise.

I don't dispute that the dark and damp winters suck... Not my cup of tea at all. Now if you said that those kind of winters can drive some batty, no one would be taking you to task for your comment.
It sounds like we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm going to assume it true at some point unless somebody can prove to me otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 08:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Yeah I know. People in City-Data love to bash TX but people from all over the place keep moving there.
LOL isn't it the strangest thing!

Another thing about Texans is that I'd venture to say that only about .00000005 percent of them have even heard of C-D - and .0000000005 of those care what a few armchair haters on a website think of it.

Haters gonna hate. Meanwhile, today in Texas it was sunny and 72 degrees and life is good!

Old 02-11-2015, 08:08 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL isn't it the strangest thing!

Another thing about Texans is that I'd venture to say that only about .00000005 percent of them have even heard of C-D - and .0000000005 of those care what a few armchair haters on a website think of it.

Haters gonna hate. Meanwhile, today in Texas it was sunny and 72 degrees and life is good!
Ain't that the truth! I bet it wasn't 72 and sunny in Seattle today or Milwaukee or any of these other "better places". They might get that in July. Sorry other people, I just couldn't resist.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:09 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,123 times
What is missing on this thread is the fact that DFW has significantly superior high culture institutions: much much better art museums -FW more so than Dallas, more, bigger and better ballet and opera companies, and comparable orchestras. Seattle does have better universities, but in terms of cultural institutions: edge DFW.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:13 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
It sounds like we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm going to assume it true at some point unless somebody can prove to me otherwise.
So, just putting something out there makes it true? Okay, here's one of the many articles negating your theory.

The 10 Most Suicidal Cities in America - Insider Monkey

Many of the top ten cities for suicide are in areas of relentless sunshine, believe it or not.

Anyway, the Seattle myth was most likely circulated by people that assumed that an Oceanic climate is difficult to deal with. Those people would be wrong. Sure, there are much sunnier places. My wife and I moved from CO and worried that the weather would be terrible. Not the case at all. There's definitely some grey weather and some rain, but periods of sunshine as well. Truth is that a majority of the time (in the winter) it is cool and comfortable- think jeans, t-shirt, and a flannel. The scenery is beautiful, and most of the time your activities are not impeded by the weather. This article also explains the myth:

10 Myths About US Cities and States Debunked - Forbes

Truth is, Washingtonians don't want more people to move to the state, because there are already enough people here. Many folks are just fine with letting people from around the country assume that 45 and overcast is awful weather in the winter....

Regarding a comparison with Dallas, well they're two different animals. Of course, these comparisons are a little silly because they're so subjective. Some people enjoy giant shopping malls, endless cookie cutter subdivisions, over the top attitudes, blazing hot summers, and an emphasis on a materialistic existence. To each his own. All I can say to Dallas is no thanks, and I'm glad that I don't have to live there.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:32 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,036,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
What is missing on this thread is the fact that DFW has significantly superior high culture institutions: much much better art museums -FW more so than Dallas, more, bigger and better ballet and opera companies, and comparable orchestras. Seattle does have better universities, but in terms of cultural institutions: edge DFW.

Dallas also has a bigger economy. A higher growth rate as well.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:04 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,871 times
-COL...Dallas
-Food...Seattle (fresh seafood trumps SW TexMex)
-weather...Seattle (way too hot in Dallas)
-education...Seattle
-economy...Tie (Seattle for tech)
-architecture...Seattle
-diversity...Dallas
-sports culture...Dallas
-scenery...Seattle (Dallas is ugly as hell)
-outdoors activity...Seattle
-shopping...Dallas
-who has the worse traffic...Dallas
-transit...Seattle
-Best overall QOL...Seattle
Politics: Seattle as well...texas is far too conservative.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
-COL...Dallas
-Food...Seattle (fresh seafood trumps SW TexMex)
-weather...Seattle (way too hot in Dallas)
-education...Seattle
-economy...Tie (Seattle for tech)
-architecture...Seattle
-diversity...Dallas
-sports culture...Dallas
-scenery...Seattle (Dallas is ugly as hell)
-outdoors activity...Seattle
-shopping...Dallas
-who has the worse traffic...Dallas
-transit...Seattle
-Best overall QOL...Seattle
Politics: Seattle as well...texas is far too conservative.
Dallas has more than southwest Tex mex. I don't think you spent time in Dallas to assume that. Economy is not a tie either. Texas isn't as conservative as you might think as well

Old 02-12-2015, 03:45 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTz7JrZoyMs

Old 02-12-2015, 03:45 PM

CD isn't the best place for info. Based on some of the pro Seattle posters it's easy to tell they never spent a considerable amount of time Dallas or Texas. Dallas isn't the best city in the world but the way its been bashed tells me there is bias and envy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City