Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 08:14 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,241,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
I believe that's [part of] the joke.
So it seems I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 08:23 PM

13,753 posts, read 15,836,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
So it seems I guess.

One more thing I forgot to add. Sometimes I will admit, frustration from past threads comes up in random threads when the same posters jump on D.C. at any mention of the city in a good light. This thread is the perfect example. Take a look at how we got here in the posts from this morning. SMH......

D.C. didn't have a chance.....we need to try being the worst at doing things....maybe it will keep us out the lime light. Don't be top 3 or 5 in something. Posters will do their best to tell you what is wrong with your city and knock you down.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:29 PM

37,307 posts, read 39,688,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Tcave, you have to understand the sentiment for D.C. on these forums.

When D.C. adds jobs because of the Federal government. = I hate D.C.

When D.C. adds jobs in area's outside the Federal government like healthcare or education while Federal Government cuts jobs = crickets...you won't get anything for that......

Other cities add jobs in other area's = I'm so happy for "insert city" good to see you doing well

D.C. builds around their metro station's instead of sprawling = I hate D.C.

Other cities build around their transit systems = Wow, "insert city" is building a lot around their transit system. Good for them. It's good to see them doing well.

D.C. makes a top 10 food list or any list that says something good about it = Wow, there are 9 cities on that list that are pretty good I must admit. Why is D.C. on there? It's a cess pool and it's awful in everything in life.

When D.C. does well in anything = Crickets.......

Other cities do well in anything = That is amazing. I'm so glad to see "insert city" doing well.

Conclusion

One thing you will learn real quick on this forum. Keep your head high about your city and don't let anybody push you down because they will try. This is especially true for Washington D.C. which people hate on this forum for the most part. Don't let the hate surprise you, expect it. Don't expect people to compliment D.C. about anything.

If you do receive a compliment, expect it to come with an insult as well. It's kind of like when a guy tells a fat girl "hey, you're pretty cute for a fat girl."

I defend D.C. till the death on here. Many people just don't say anything as the forum drags D.C. through the mud. Somebody has to stick up for the city.

Take a look at the fastest growing companies in 2013 thread. D.C. has tons of private sector companies doing great things outside of anything to do with the Federal Government. Don't expect anybody to realize or care when a job discussion starts on here.

Why I do what I do:

You get to a point when you are sick and tired of people complaining about the government this and the government that which is exactly what I saw run rampant on this forum back in 2010 when I joined. So, I made it a point to uplift Washington D.C. and focus on all the things that we are doing well.

-We have dropped our crime
-We have continued to pull away from the Federal Government
-We are rebuilding the damage of the Martin Luther King riots
-We are trying to better ourselves as we shake the "Murder Capital" label.

We are NOT what they all say we are.
Eh, every city has its detractors. Come now, when some of the other boosters (do you remember how bad the NYC boosterism used to be on this board until some of them got banned?) they also get people criticizing their posts. The criticism is roughly proportional to the number of exaggerations made, so it should be expected.

LA is number 7 though isn't it? Seems pretty reasonable.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
One more thing I forgot to add. Sometimes I will admit, frustration from past threads comes up in random threads when the same posters jump on D.C. at any mention of the city in a good light. This thread is the perfect example. Take a look at how we got here in the posts from this morning. SMH......

D.C. didn't have a chance.....we need to try being the worst at doing things....maybe it will keep us out the lime light. Don't be top 3 or 5 in something. Posters will do their best to tell you what is wrong with your city and knock you down.
That's what happens when you're on the rise. You'll always have some Debbie-downers and bashers seething with contempt praying for your downfall. DC has gone from ashy and nasty to classy and flashy. Welcome to a new spotlight DC

Old 04-14-2014, 08:37 PM

4,182 posts, read 2,977,734 times
Quote:

When D.C. adds jobs in area's outside the Federal government like healthcare or education while Federal Government cuts jobs = crickets...you won't get anything for that......

Other cities add jobs in other area's = I'm so happy for "insert city" good to see you doing well

Other cities build around their transit systems = Wow, "insert city" is building a lot around their transit system. Good for them. It's good to see them doing well.

D.C. makes a top 10 food list or any list that says something good about it = Wow, there are 9 cities on that list that are pretty good I must admit. Why is D.C. on there? It's a cess pool and it's awful in everything in life.

Other cities do well in anything = That is amazing. I'm so glad to see "insert city" doing well.

Conclusion

One thing you will learn real quick on this forum. Keep your head high about your city and don't let anybody push you down because they will try. This is especially true for Washington D.C. which people hate on this forum for the most part. Don't let the hate surprise you, expect it. Don't expect people to compliment D.C. about anything.

If you do receive a compliment, expect it to come with an insult as well. It's kind of like when a guy tells a fat girl "hey, you're pretty cute for a fat girl."

I defend D.C. till the death on here. Many people just don't say anything as the forum drags D.C. through the mud. Somebody has to stick up for the city.

Take a look at the fastest growing companies in 2013 thread. D.C. has tons of private sector companies doing great things outside of anything to do with the Federal Government. Don't expect anybody to realize or care when a job discussion starts on here.

Why I do what I do:

You get to a point when you are sick and tired of people complaining about the government this and the government that which is exactly what I saw run rampant on this forum back in 2010 when I joined. So, I made it a point to uplift Washington D.C. and focus on all the things that we are doing well.

Nothing wrong with that! I love everything about DC. DC is one of best cities in the U.S..

Old 04-14-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Eh, every city has its detractors. Come now, when some of the other boosters (do you remember how bad the NYC boosterism used to be on this board until some of them got banned?) they also get people criticizing their posts. The criticism is roughly proportional to the number of exaggerations made, so it should be expected.

LA is number 7 though isn't it? Seems pretty reasonable.
OyCrumbler, you have been on here for a long time like I have. Let's not act like the recession that the country went through the last 4 years didn't completely turn the entire country against Washington D.C.'s innocent residents. We have nothing to do with politics. Those are your elected officials. Shoot, we can't even vote. It's not right the way people talk about the innocent residents in the Washington D.C. area.

We had nothing to do with the housing crisis. We had nothing to do with the terrorists across the world. We just live here. The way many people on here talk about the Washington D.C. population which has nothing to do with your elected officials from your states is completely uncalled for.

The things I have heard about D.C. on here......just wow....

So yes, I build us up and instill confidence in our city. We are better than what people think about us.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:

Conclusion

Why I do what I do:

Can't rep you unfortunately, but yeah I see your point. I've noticed some of the specific behavior that you've mentioned when it comes to the usual anti-DC crowd. You should check out SkyscraperCity or SkyscraperPage more often. Those forums tend to be more civilized than this site for the most part.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:45 PM

4,182 posts, read 2,977,734 times
Pittsburgh's urban core is vibrant. To me the urban core is not just downtown. Downtown, southside, and most of the East End neighborhoods are vibrant with dense intact comercial districts. East Liberty is on the rise with a massive TOD under construction.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Can't rep you unfortunately, but yeah I see your point. I've noticed some of the specific behavior that you've mentioned when it comes to the usual anti-DC crowd. You should check out SkyscraperCity or SkyscraperPage more often. Those forums tend to be more civilized than this site for the most part.

You are 100% correct. I have been over there even though I don't post. I have recently been thinking about leaving this website completely to go over there. It's professionals that are happy to see development in any city. It's NOTHING like this place.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:52 PM

37,307 posts, read 39,688,910 times
Quote:
OyCrumbler, you have been on here for a long time like I have. Let's not act like the recession that the country went through the last 4 years didn't completely turn the entire country against Washington D.C.'s innocent residents. We have nothing to do with politics. Those are your elected officials. Shoot, we can't even vote. It's not right the way people talk about the innocent residents in the Washington D.C. area.

We had nothing to do with the housing crisis. We had nothing to do with the terrorists across the world. We just live here. The way many people on here talk about the Washington D.C. population which has nothing to do with your elected officials from your states is completely uncalled for.

The things I have heard about D.C. on here......just wow....

So yes, I build us up and instill confidence in our city. We are better than what people think about us.
Sounds good. Don't really see what you see, but I do see DC isn't supposed to be outside the top six. Let's at least say that's a compliment!

After that, LA, I think. Much of it is definitely built oddly compared to the other six though and it isn't quite built the same way the sunbelt boom cities are either. The only other major US boom city of its time period was Detroit, I believe, but LA and Detroit went on some radically different trajectories over the last half century or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City