Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 07:17 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,768,537 times

Advertisements

Sedona and Slate (Rosslyn Commons) = 479 units
View @ Liberty = 257 units
Central Place = 377 units
Blue Goose Redevelopment = 267 units
Latitude Apartments = 265 units
Rosslyn Gateway = 273 units
The Tellus = 254 units
2001 Clarendon Blvd. = 154 units
The Spire
Virginia Square Towers = 535 units
650 North Glebe Road = 160 units
The Waverly at Clarendon Station = 186 units
1900 Wilson Blvd. = 198 units

There are 3,405 units moving in the R/B corridor right now in 2014 headed into 2020 which includes 1, 2, and 3 bedroom apartments. It's going to continue to grow for the next 20 years. I have no idea how many have been built since 2009 when the census was done. Arlington VA has added over 20,000 people since then and most are in the R/B corridor and Pentagon City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 07:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
What's the socio economic status for that area? I apologize. I was talking about a young professional census tract reaching that level. You can get density with single family homes really. Look at L.A. Depends on who is living there.
Ok, that was by far the poorest tract in South Boston, median income of $23k/year, the rest of South Boston is at least $65k+. Also has more minorities, which suggests that has public housing or something similar.

Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn has rowhouses (not the four story brownstones common in Brooklyn) and has several tracts around 40k/sq mile and above. Appears to have no high rises and is well off (median income of $70k-$100k/year).

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Winds...+New+York&z=15

Dense tracts are all between the NY-27 highway and Prospect Park. I could dig through and find more examples. If you allow neighborhoods with 4-5 story buildings and no high rises, you can easily find tracts with a density in the 40-60k/sq mile range.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You can definitely get predominantly rowhouse neighborhoods with high density tracts with high socio-economic status. Park Slope is probably a prime example of that.

To nitpick a lot of the housing stock in Park Slope is taller than your typical rowhouse neighborhood. Each house is often multifamily, as opposed to a traditional rowhouse block where each unit shared walls with another but weren't above another. That's why I showed a Windsor Terrace example. Park Slope is denser than just above anywhere in London for this reason.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:23 PM

To get slightly back on the thread topic, does Seattle have any interesting infill development planned around future light rail stations? We hear less about Seattle than some other cities, but it sounds like it has among the best urban potential for newer American cities.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Ok, that was by far the poorest tract in South Boston, median income of $23k/year, the rest of South Boston is at least $65k+. Also has more minorities, which suggests that has public housing or something similar.

Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn has rowhouses (not the four story brownstones common in Brooklyn) and has several tracts around 40k/sq mile and above. Appears to have no high rises and is well off (median income of $70k-$100k/year).

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Winds...+New+York&z=15

Dense tracts are all between the NY-27 highway and Prospect Park. I could dig through and find more examples. If you allow neighborhoods with 4-5 story buildings and no high rises, you can easily find tracts with a density in the 40-60k/sq mile range.

New York is always going to be an outlier. It's pointless to bring it up. D.C. will never be able to support that level of density in rowhouse's. We don't have the space constraints to get there. I wonder what the square feet is on those units in those row homes in NYC?

D.C. has to build high-rise's to get to that level of density. It would not be the best use of land if we built row homes around our metro station's if that is what you are suggesting we do.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:37 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,217,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Okay, you win DC... You're the most urban and vibrant core outside the "Big 6"...
I'm under the impression that it already was part of the Big 6.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:38 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,111,838 times
I believe that's [part of] the joke.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:47 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,217,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
The Home Edition of the "Most Vibrant Urban Core?!" game and a gift certificate to Target... You did it DC boosters, you did it....
The only DC poster who's been making a big deal over it was MD as far as I know (As if every single other poster from the other primary cities on this site aren't guilty of boosterism). I hate that I can't insert an eye roll on the site's mobile version.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:03 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
The only DC poster who's been making a big deal over it was MD as far as I know (As if every single other poster from the other primary cities on this site aren't guilty of boosterism). I hate that I can't insert an eye roll on the site's mobile version.
I'm just confused how it became a debate on DC, when DC was already in the "BIG 6"...

Old 04-14-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post

Tcave, you have to understand the sentiment for D.C. on these forums.

When D.C. adds jobs because of the Federal government. = I hate D.C.

When D.C. adds jobs in area's outside the Federal government like healthcare or education while Federal Government cuts jobs = crickets...you won't get anything for that......

Other cities add jobs in other area's = I'm so happy for "insert city" good to see you doing well

D.C. builds around their metro station's instead of sprawling = I hate D.C.

Other cities build around their transit systems = Wow, "insert city" is building a lot around their transit system. Good for them. It's good to see them doing well.

D.C. makes a top 10 food list or any list that says something good about it = Wow, there are 9 cities on that list that are pretty good I must admit. Why is D.C. on there? It's a cess pool and it's awful in everything in life.

When D.C. does well in anything = Crickets.......

Other cities do well in anything = That is amazing. I'm so glad to see "insert city" doing well.

Conclusion

One thing you will learn real quick on this forum. Keep your head high about your city and don't let anybody push you down because they will try. This is especially true for Washington D.C. which people hate on this forum for the most part. Don't let the hate surprise you, expect it. Don't expect people to compliment D.C. about anything.

If you do receive a compliment, expect it to come with an insult as well. It's kind of like when a guy tells a fat girl "hey, you're pretty cute for a fat girl."

I defend D.C. till the death on here. Many people just don't say anything as the forum drags D.C. through the mud. Somebody has to stick up for the city.

Take a look at the fastest growing companies in 2013 thread. D.C. has tons of private sector companies doing great things outside of anything to do with the Federal Government. Don't expect anybody to realize or care when a job discussion starts on here.

Why I do what I do:

You get to a point when you are sick and tired of people complaining about the government this and the government that which is exactly what I saw run rampant on this forum back in 2010 when I joined. So, I made it a point to uplift Washington D.C. and focus on all the things that we are doing well.

-We have dropped our crime
-We have continued to pull away from the Federal Government
-We are rebuilding the damage of the Martin Luther King riots
-We are trying to better ourselves as we shake the "Murder Capital" label.

We are NOT what they all say we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City