Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
Chicago 71 48.63%
San Francisco 75 51.37%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 09:53 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,727,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
btw, regarding Chicago's drawbridges, I think they have lost much of their iconic status as the river is less and less a working river. It is quite rare nowadays for tourists (or residents for that matter) to encounter them in use. I remember as a kid in the 70's it seemed like every time my family was downtown, we'd be stopped by a bridge going up. But there was certainly a time when they represented an iconic image of the city as they were constantly in use. And they are definitely an unheralded, unique aspect of Chicago's river/transport systems. You can check out a nice trailer for a film on them here, some nice shots

Home Page
True, they only use them a few times a year to let yachts through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 09:53 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,958,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
What made the scale tip in favor of San Francisco for you?
I guess the counter-culture history in SF in addition to the landmarks. The more I think about it the closer it is though. SF doesn't have a building as recognizable as the Sears Tower as was mentioned before. Lake Michigan is pretty iconic but probably not as much as The Bay/Pacific Ocean. Wrigleyville is one of the most iconic baseball stadiums too.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:07 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,989,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
But SF is more cultured in the other sense. It is the counter-cultural capital of America, and that history is marked in places like Haight-Ashbury (hippie culture), Castro (gay rights), and North Beach (the Beatniks). Historically ethnic neighborhoods like the Mission District with its amazing murals and SF's Chinatown, which is one of a kind in the US, also add a lot of flavor.

SF also has so many iconic structures aside from the ones already mentioned, like its many victorian rowhouses, the Grace Cathedral, the Mision San Francisco De Asis, the Palace of Fine Arts, and - in my opinion - one of the most underrated structures in the country, the Civic Center.
No offense but now you're just listing every pretty building you could think of to play this game of "anything you can do I can do better, anything you can do I can do too".

Would you say the average joe American would be able to tell you they've even heard of those structures, let alone tell you it's in San Francisco (aside from "Victorian rowhouses - you mean the Painted Ladies?" that is)? Really man?

Look, I'm all for making theories a reality, I don't mind. I like that you're thinking out of the box, I'll even volunteer myself to play devils advocate and do an actual public polling so that way we can have some results in this nonsensical match up. I don't live in the West or Midwest, I'm perfect for this thread because I can just drive out 30 miles to some average joe suburb, go to a mall (where the most average of the American clan radiates), and start asking people at random (lots of people) what they know about both cities. It would be random and weird, but if you want to put your theory and make it a reality, let me know, I'll do it Sunday when I can get open time. Camera and all.

Otherwise what you're listing is akin to me talking about the numerous architects, their works (like say the design of the planned Australian city of Canberra), and the Chicago School of Architecture and it's influence over urban planning and design. At the end of the day, all I'll be doing is listing things that would make the most common of people stare at me with a blank.

So if you don't mind, get your inquiry questions ready, for me to ask people random "city related" things on Sunday about both places. I'm going to go ahead and do it anyway.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-11-2014 at 10:50 AM..

Old 04-11-2014, 10:21 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,993,360 times
In terms of iconic and recognizable views

For SF
The GGB -- yes
Cable Cars heading up the steep incline -yes
Alcatraz - with Transamerica building - probably
Painted Ladies with Trans in background - maybe
all else - probably not to the general masses

Chicago
Lake front skyline view with Hancock and Sears - to many
The Bean - seem to gaining but to some not all
Navy Pier - to some not all
Wrigley - To Baseball fans yes - others not so much

to me the GGB and Cable cars are really the two images that would likely have the greatest mass knowledge of place - others are more hit or miss really (even the skylines - we think they are far more iconic on the whole than most people to be honest)

On cultured - more a draw and different elements driving aspects of both

Old 04-11-2014, 11:17 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,152,628 times
SF's iconic views are hard to beat. Chicago can't beat this.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:04 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,977,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I think that all depends on personal preference. I love SF's views - they can be great but Chicago has some great views of its own. Just depends on what your personal preference is and what not. Someone who likes big high rises and skyscrapers may like Chicago more and someone who doesn't may like SF more.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:09 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,394,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think that all depends on personal preference. I love SF's views - they can be great but Chicago has some great views of its own. Just depends on what your personal preference is and what not. Someone who likes big high rises and skyscrapers may like Chicago more and someone who doesn't may like SF more.
exactly, both are absolutely among the country''s most beautiful. Here's my favorite view of Chcicago, which virtually no tourist will ever see as it'd require a visit to Gary.

http://photos.capturemychicago.com/p...ng/display.jpg

Old 04-11-2014, 12:23 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,977,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
exactly, both are absolutely among the country''s most beautiful. Here's my favorite view of Chcicago, which virtually no tourist will ever see as it'd require a visit to Gary.

http://photos.capturemychicago.com/p...ng/display.jpg
Yeah, from Gary is an interesting view. I have friends in areas like Old Town, Lincoln Park, and West Town (i.e. Ukrainian Village) who have awesome skyline views from their balconies/bedrooms/etc.

For example:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...12487557_o.jpg

Old 04-11-2014, 06:47 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,996,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I love both cities, and San Francisco is quite a unique sight for any set of eyes. But it's all perspective really, you say Chicago can't beat that?

I still get my breath taken away from a view like this.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:44 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,993,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I love Chicago but there is something really special about the GGB and the water and hills and city and alcatraz etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City