Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
Chicago 71 48.63%
San Francisco 75 51.37%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 02:10 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,367,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
Ya I had heard them talk about places in Milwaukee, just nvr heard of Chicago. Chicagoland might be gay friendly, but being progressive and gay-friendly certainly isn't a stereotype most Wisconsinites have of Chicago. Their steroetypes can be wrong, just saying what they are.
Most WI stereotypes of Illinois or Chicago areas are not exactly friendly....

you would think the two states are split by a foreign border sometimes.

Most WI people do what they can to avoid Illinois and its inhabitants so I would say yeah most of the stereotypes are not that well informed and based on old sarcasm.

Apparently someone took the sarcasm seriously about Chicago not being very liberal compared to WI lol.

When it comes to environmental issues, that is true. WI is far more progressive in terms of environmental conservation practices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 03:37 PM

558 posts, read 720,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It's obvious you grew up and didn't know a lot about Chicago. There's nothing wrong with that - I grew up in Minnesota not far away and barely knew anything about the city either. Most of what I thought I knew I found out was false.

I don't know how you can sit here and claim to know about Chicago's gay scene and how progressive things are when you didn't even know what Boystown was or the fact that the pride fest/parade draw massive crowds. Or the fact that the pride parade has been going on since 1970 which is the same year as SF's. There's been an international leather/BDSM conference that draws people from all around the world since 1979, and there's even a gay leather/BDSM museum in town.
I'm saying Chicago isn't known for such things like San Francisco is. I've had people tell me not to move to San Francisco without finding a wife first (as if there aren't straight people in SF). I understand the anti-Illinois stereotypes in Wisconsin. I don't buy into that. Had I only lived in Wisconsin I probably would think Chicago was liberal and gay friendly compared to where I grew up (well maybe not Madison, but the rest of WI, Madison is atypical). But after traveling to the rest of the country Chicago definitely no longer strikes me as a really progressive place (being more progressive than WI is a low bar), and certainly not some sort of Gay Mecca. More like a just keep on keeping on kind of place. Not growing fast, not shrinking either. Middle of the road. Liberal by midwest standards (as most midwest city propers are), but moderate by most. When I think of Chicago, LGBT is not one of the things that comes to mind.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:44 PM

15,323 posts, read 24,035,231 times
^ Honestly, if you aren't gay or you aren't well into that culture because of your friends, most people don't even know what "Castro" is. They know that SF is known for gay things, but I guarantee you the common person in America and the world couldn't name a single gay neighborhood in the US by name. I'd put a LOT of money on this. Most people also know that the top 3 largest cities in the US, known for their liberal leanings, are very tolerant to LGBT causes. You'd have to be living under a rock to not think that any of LA, NYC, or Chicago is not like that overall.

Chicago is more progressive than most places, but less progressive than the Bay Area and some other smaller places. It's still a liberal place, for the most part. You don't have to be ULTRA progressive to be accepting, tolerant, etc. You're confusing the two. I've been pretty much everywhere in this country multiple times - you need to travel more. The Bay Area is the most progressive big populated area in the US, and most other places are behind it. Chicago is still a liberal place on the whole. It's obvious you haven't spent any or a lot of time there especially in the last decade or so just by the things you've said in here. Even the biggest SF homers who know the gay scene would know there's a ton of openly gay people in Chicago and have events that draw huge crowds.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ Honestly, if you aren't gay or you aren't well into that culture because of your friends, most people don't even know what "Castro" is. They know that SF is known for gay things, but I guarantee you the common person in America and the world couldn't name a single gay neighborhood in the US by name. I'd put a LOT of money on this. Most people also know that the top 3 largest cities in the US, known for their liberal leanings, are very tolerant to LGBT causes. You'd have to be living under a rock to not think that any of LA, NYC, or Chicago is not like that overall.

Chicago is more progressive than most places, but less progressive than the Bay Area and some other smaller places. It's still a liberal place, for the most part. You don't have to be ULTRA progressive to be accepting, tolerant, etc. You're confusing the two. I've been pretty much everywhere in this country multiple times - you need to travel more. The Bay Area is the most progressive big populated area in the US, and most other places are behind it. Chicago is still a liberal place on the whole. It's obvious you haven't spent any or a lot of time there especially in the last decade or so just by the things you've said in here. Even the biggest SF homers who know the gay scene would know there's a ton of openly gay people in Chicago and have events that draw huge crowds.
Ya I did some research and found Chicago's districts to be more liberal than I thought. Not as liberal as SF, but not conservative either. I had visited people in Chicago burbs quite a bit (lots of Chicago friends) and the families seemed conservative to me. But looking at the numbers it doesn't look so bad. Chicagoland is pretty white compared to SF Bay Area, and SF has a much higher percentage of gay people (15% to 5%), but I'll give you Chicagoland isn't as conservative as I thought. My gf from Schaumberg has never heard of Boystown either so I don't feel so bad. I think lots of people, perhaps not a majority know of Greenwich and the Castro. I'd consider myself fairly average on the subject and I have heard of both of them. I'll be sure to spread the word of Boystown in Madison, have to visit sometime.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Ya I did some research and found Chicago's districts to be more liberal than I thought. Not as liberal as SF, but not conservative either. I had visited people in Chicago burbs quite a bit (lots of Chicago friends) and the families seemed conservative to me. But looking at the numbers it doesn't look so bad. Chicagoland is pretty white compared to SF Bay Area, and SF has a much higher percentage of gay people (15% to 5%), but I'll give you Chicagoland isn't as conservative as I thought. My gf from Schaumberg has never heard of Boystown either so I don't feel so bad. I think lots of people, perhaps not a majority know of Greenwich and the Castro. I'd consider myself fairly average on the subject and I have heard of both of them. I'll be sure to spread the word of Boystown in Madison, have to visit sometime.
not true again. SF is far more white and affluent than Chicago as a whole You are talking about the north suburbs only and completely ignoring the south side suburbs, and south side in general. Far more African Americans in Chicago than SF as far as I know...

Old 04-14-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
not true again. SF is far more white and affluent than Chicago as a whole You are talking about the north suburbs only and completely ignoring the south side suburbs, and south side in general. Far more African Americans in Chicago than SF as far as I know...
% white

Cook: 56.3%
Lake: 80.1%
Will: 81.8%
Dupage: 84.9%
Kane: 79.3%

San Francisco: 41.9%
Alameda: 43.0%
Santa Clara: 45.0%
San Mateo: 53.4%
Sonoma: 76.8%
Marin: 80.0%
Napa: 71.5%
Solano: 51.0%
San Joaquin: 51.0%

From Wikipedia

Old 04-14-2014, 04:48 PM

that looks highly suspect...and its from Wikipedia.

Anyway, I said African Americans. You are giving percentages of white people, not comparing the actual racial makeup of both places, not to mention Chicago has a much larger population and higher total numbers.

Whites will be a majority in most places except for ones (particularly in CA and TX) where Hispanics are now the majority.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:59 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,121,122 times
I'm not gay, I don't really have any close gay friends (but I'm a supporter) & I know nothing of the 'gay scene' but I have heard of Boystown. My understanding is that it is pretty much like what Folks3000 has been saying when it comes to well known gayborhoods: "I think lots of people, perhaps not a majority know of Greenwich and the Castro." Except with Boystown thrown in with them.

But I don't think rgb123 knows what he/she is talking about re: SF.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
that looks highly suspect...and its from Wikipedia.

Anyway, I said African Americans. You are giving percentages of white people, not comparing the actual racial makeup of both places, not to mention Chicago has a much larger population and higher total numbers.

Whites will be a majority in most places except for ones (particularly in CA and TX) where Hispanics are now the majority.
You can go to the county pages yourself, 2010 census data. Chicagoland isn't all that much bigger than SF Bay. (8.4 million vs. 9.8 million), and the Bay Area is growing faster (108,636 per year vs. 29,487 per year) so that larger numbers argument will be out the door soon enough. Chicago has more African Americans, but besides that most other groups are better represented in the Bay Area. I think 18Montclair has posted a lot of data showing this on other cityvcity threads.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:13 PM

15,323 posts, read 24,035,231 times
Quote:
% white

Cook: 56.3%
Lake: 80.1%
Will: 81.8%
Dupage: 84.9%
Kane: 79.3%

San Francisco: 41.9%
Alameda: 43.0%
Santa Clara: 45.0%
San Mateo: 53.4%
Sonoma: 76.8%
Marin: 80.0%
Napa: 71.5%
Solano: 51.0%
San Joaquin: 51.0%

From Wikipedia
Actually, this is not what you think and these numbers aren't the whole story. The census category for this has two sub categories - Not of Hispanic/Latin Origin and Hispanic/Latin Origin. So for example, Cook County is actually 23.96% Hispanic alone, meaning it's more like 32% non-hispanic white alone. Yes, Latino and Hispanic people are counted as "white" as are Arabs/Moroccans and Lebanese, and pretty much anybody from the Caucasus region, which is in Georgia, Turkey, Iran, Azerbaijan, and southern Russia.

White American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You also had the numbers wrong for San Francisco. It's 48.48% White Alone, and 15.12% Hispanic alone meaning there's about the same percentage of white people in San Francisco county as Cook County, but there's a higher percentage of Hispanic people in Cook County.

Here are the more accurate numbers

% Hispanic or Latino Origin:

Kane County, IL: 30.74%
San Mateo County, CA: 25.4%
Contra Costa County, CA: 24.36%
Cook County, IL: 23.96%
Alameda County, CA: 22.51%
Lake County, IL: 19.90%
Will County, IL: 15.62%
Kendall County, IL: 15.60%
Marin County, CA: 15.48%
San Francisco County, CA: 15.12%
Du Page County, IL: 13.25%

Last edited by marothisu; 04-14-2014 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City