Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
Chicago 71 48.63%
San Francisco 75 51.37%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:44 AM

558 posts, read 719,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I agree San Francisco is more well known for that stuff, but if you are in the gay community or have friends that are into that - you should probably know about Boystown. If not, then you're probably living under a rock. It's one of the largest gay neighborhoods in the US and was the first officially recognized gay village in the country. Residentially, you can include Lakeview East into that which is directly east of it since many gay people also live there, so its reach is actually larger than at first glance. There's also Andersonville a mile or two away which is where many older gay men and lesbians live (40 or 45+) and has a number of "gay businesses" too.
I must be under a rock. I have lots of gay friends and had never heard of Boystown until this thread. In fact I'd never associatr anything LGBT with Chicago, ever. I think of SF, New York, Seattle, Atlanta, heck even Minneapolis long before Chicago. The only two famous Gay communities I was aware of were Greenwich and Castro. Sure, every city of a certain size has a gay district, but that doesn't make it famous, nor a symbol of the city. Chicago is known as a relatively conservative city of business in most of the country, not any sort of socially progressive place. It gets its moderate to conservative rep from its suburbs though. Most of them are pretty white, or "midwest diverse."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 11:13 AM

2,513 posts, read 3,409,365 times
The post above highlights the ignorance that pervades way too much of this forum. Ignorance is not a sin, except when one doubles down on it and keeps digging, as above.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tonymerevick...-neighborhoods

Old 04-14-2014, 11:25 AM

15,323 posts, read 24,013,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
I must be under a rock. I have lots of gay friends and had never heard of Boystown until this thread. In fact I'd never associatr anything LGBT with Chicago, ever. I think of SF, New York, Seattle, Atlanta, heck even Minneapolis long before Chicago. The only two famous Gay communities I was aware of were Greenwich and Castro. Sure, every city of a certain size has a gay district, but that doesn't make it famous, nor a symbol of the city. Chicago is known as a relatively conservative city of business in most of the country, not any sort of socially progressive place. It gets its moderate to conservative rep from its suburbs though. Most of them are pretty white, or "midwest diverse."
You are living under a rock. Boystown is the first officially recognized gay village in the US along with the fact that the Gay Pride parade/fest drew over 1 million people last year (Chicago Pride Parade 2013: 1 Million Break Attendance Record At Gay Pride Parade (PHOTOS, VIDEO)). Every year it's growing as there were 850K attendees the year before. You'll also be curious to know that the Chicago pride parade has been around for the same number of years as San Francisco's.

There's also another, smaller gay festival that draws 100,000 people every year and it's not just people from the midwest (Northalsted Market Days® | Northalsted), along with International Mr. Leather (International Mr. Leather - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) hosted in Chicago that also draws crowds from all over the world that's existed since 1979. Of all the years in Chicago, I've always met people from all around the world traveling to at least IML and the Pride parade/fest. Marketdays is less known, but I've met people from SF, LA, and NYC at it before.

Also as of 2006, there were 115,000 LGBT people in Chicago and almost 225,000 in the MSA. That's 3.2% of the population. Los Angeles is 2.7%, New York City is 2.6%, and San Francisco is 3.6%
LGBT demographics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by marothisu; 04-14-2014 at 11:34 AM..

Old 04-14-2014, 11:39 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,362,322 times
Quote:
That's silly. Chicago is not at all known as a conservative place. Now, people who lack in geography or culture understanding from coasts may mistakenly have the thought process "Midwest" > Conservative.

Chicago has historically been one of the, if not the most democratic places in the country. Not known as a social progressive place? Interesting....this must not have happened...
Chicago Campaign (1966)

and sorry you may not have heard of Boystown...everyone else who has ever set foot in Chicago has!

Old 04-14-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
everyone else who has ever set foot in Chicago has!
Most gay people who are into the scene who haven't been to Chicago know what it is too. Seriously, I have gay friends here on grindr all the time and they're always meeting people from out of town who are just visiting for Boystown.

Chicago is not as liberal or progressive as SF and parts of LA, but it's still a fairly liberal place overall.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
The post above highlights the ignorance that pervades way too much of this forum. Ignorance is not a sin, except when one doubles down on it and keeps digging, as above.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tonymerevick...-neighborhoods
it is saddening actually. I studied human geography at UIC. There is a rich history and culture in Chicago. It is so apparently missed by many on the west coast (East too, but less so I believe as the history there is more intertwined with east coast cities than with the newer west coast cities, where I learned that they don't teach geography as a separate subject in school in CA, and it shows...)

I LOVE CA...but the ignorance of some of its inhabitants, at times makes me wish to move back home.

That said, many in Chicago are just as ignorant of where they grew up and any special history or meaning about their surroundings.

Life goes on and sometimes, history with it. Though I am glad to see the resurgence in Chicago since the 1980's (my dad couldn't wait to get out of the city he was born in). The gang violence is sad to hear about on a daily basis...history is still in progress.

What Chicago does have that SF lacks (back to the topic) is a true variety in terms of classes. Like NYC, Chicago encompasses all types of people, all walks and all classes. It's blue collar and white collar. There is room for both.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Most gay people who are into the scene who haven't been to Chicago know what it is too. Seriously, I have gay friends here on grindr all the time and they're always meeting people from out of town who are just visiting for Boystown.

Chicago is not as liberal or progressive as SF and parts of LA, but it's still a fairly liberal place overall.
I'm not sure you can say that last part with any factual backing. SF is known to be cultural liberal, LA perhaps as well. Chicago has been voting democrat for as long as I can remember and is well known by the rest of the State of Illinois to be the decider in elections, much to their chagrin. Remember someone named Obama? Yes, Chicago.

Chicago may well be known for corruption, but it is also known for being democrat. Though, I think people get confused between culturally liberal and voting democrat, its not always the same thing.

"Chicago politics is a national cliché, evoking images of a one-party system, dominated by a boss-controlled Democratic political machine whose crafty politicians dangle patronage before competing ethnic and racial groups in return for votes"

Politics

Income tax in Illinois is almost as high as CA now...

Old 04-14-2014, 11:53 AM

Yes, Chicago has always heavily voted Democrat/liberal, at least in the last many decades. The people are less socially liberal as ones in SF though. Just because you vote democrat doesn't mean you're just as progressive as another person who does so.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Yes, Chicago has always heavily voted Democrat/liberal, at least in the last many decades. The people are less socially liberal as ones in SF though. Just because you vote democrat doesn't mean you're just as progressive as another person who does so.
That's what I was saying...

but as to what is "progressive" is not universally agreed upon...

Old 04-14-2014, 12:01 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,209,087 times
Quote:
That "relatively conservative city" hasn't had a Republican mayor since 1931. The right would never think Chicago was apart of their sphere considering Chicago is known for being so thoroughly Democratic. You could argue it's a different type of Democrat than what you'd have in SF, but that's another story.

And, as far as LGBT oriented things go, Chicago has the oldest official gay neighborhood in the country, Illinois has gay marriage, and Chicago's Mayor Emanuel who was one of the politicians in the state constantly pushing for marriage equality. The city's pride parade also drew a crowd of more than one million people last year.

Edit: Ah! marothisu beat me to this. I'm not sure how I overlooked his post, but the bit about Chicago not having a republican mayor since 1931 is always an interesting tidbit to throughout there none the less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City