Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2020, 03:39 PM

747 posts, read 496,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Difference is people go to Orlando in the summer for the theme parks while people go to New England for the beaches, mountains, lakes, etc.
Not true. Many people who end up going to the theme parks also spend a couple days at the beach. Cocoa Beach is 40 minutes away from Orlando. In general, Florida is god-awful in the summer, yet a large amount of people go to Tampa Bay and Miami for beaches. Just because tourists go there doesn’t mean the weather is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 04:00 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
Not true. Many people who end up going to the theme parks also spend a couple days at the beach. Cocoa Beach is 40 minutes away from Orlando. In general, Florida is god-awful in the summer, yet a large amount of people go to Tampa Bay and Miami for beaches. Just because tourists go there doesn’t mean the weather is good.
Yeah and the busiest months for Orlando travel were definitely February - April with all the vacation breaks. Occupancy at a family run hotel in Orlando soared in early Feb to 100% and stayed that way until about May.

Summer is more International heavy. England. Brazil. Canada. And less American. Also runs on thin margins.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:05 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
Houston - is the more underrated Southern city, but it does not have a wave of defenders come into a thread and label and mock any poster that lessens their city. Has nothing to do with even liking much of the city. It has to do with the importance to the Nation from the Port to Energy and other sectors in the South.

I do not believe any other Southern city is underrated not including the Southwest. Off C-D also I do not see Southern cities mentioned negatively. Many know someone who migrated South and rarely is it spoken of negatively. Only those with a chip on their shoulder would say their major city is totally downplayed and need to bring out the guns against every opinion not calling their city the Best in the South.
Re: the bolded, what city could you possibly be inferring? Are you still obsessing over Atlanta?

Old 07-07-2020, 07:32 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Boston is overrated
Portland Me is underrated

Boston median housing is now $800/sq ft, this is including Dorchester, Roxbury, Mattapan, Roslindale, Hyde Park which make up a huge chunk of Boston. When people think of Boston they think of Back Bay, Beacon Hill and the Charles, but these tourist areas represent such a tiny sliver of actual Boston. Many are shocked when I drive through the triple deckers in Dorchester or Roslindale that they are in Boston.

Portland ME is only $200/sqft, has a very nice and large central area with a bunch of independent restaurants. Great housing near the water. Reasonable traffic. Great outdoors nearby.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:37 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
When people think of Boston they think of Back Bay, Beacon Hill and the Charles, but these tourist areas represent such a tiny sliver of actual Boston.
Doesn’t this make most of Boston (and Camberville) underrated?

Old 07-07-2020, 07:56 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Boston is overrated
Portland Me is underrated

Boston median housing is now $800/sq ft, this is including Dorchester, Roxbury, Mattapan, Roslindale, Hyde Park which make up a huge chunk of Boston. When people think of Boston they think of Back Bay, Beacon Hill and the Charles, but these tourist areas represent such a tiny sliver of actual Boston. Many are shocked when I drive through the triple deckers in Dorchester or Roslindale that they are in Boston.

Portland ME is only $200/sqft, has a very nice and large central area with a bunch of independent restaurants. Great housing near the water. Reasonable traffic. Great outdoors nearby.
I feel like you got dumped by a Boston Girl/Guy or something really self-inflicted bad happened to you there.

The way you grind on it really is suspicious.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:20 AM

11 posts, read 6,248 times
Or ya know, it's because Boston is just overrated.

It's a pretty polarizing place. I don't really know anyone that thinks it's alright, or okay. They either love it or hate it.

I think it's overrated as well.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:32 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah and the busiest months for Orlando travel were definitely February - April with all the vacation breaks. Occupancy at a family run hotel in Orlando soared in early Feb to 100% and stayed that way until about May.

Summer is more International heavy. England. Brazil. Canada. And less American. Also runs on thin margins.
Right...
Why anyone would want to travel to Florida for vacation in the summer, coming from NE cities, is beyond me.

Last summer, I took an Amtrak to Philly, and I remember the people asking me when I got off how my vacation in Florida was. I told them "I live there. I'm going on vacation in Philly and NYC." And they asked me "WHY???" And that's when I realized that they must be completely clueless as to how miserable Florida gets during the summer. Heck, even the beaches can be quite unpleasant, as the sand tends to get blistering hot, and unless there's a strong breeze or you're in the water, the sun will burn you alive.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:52 AM

747 posts, read 496,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I feel like you got dumped by a Boston Girl/Guy or something really self-inflicted bad happened to you there.

The way you grind on it really is suspicious.
You do the same thing for NYC and Orlando. No one questions the charges you levy on either city so perhaps afford him the same rights.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:53 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
You do the same thing for NYC and Orlando. No one questions the charges you levy on either city so perhaps afford him the same rights.
LOL. Yes, he does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City