Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 06:29 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I've never heard anyone from New Jersey make that comparison--at least not South Jersey (maybe it's different up North).
Atlantic City's negative reputation is almost as bad as Camden, NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 07:53 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Atlantic City's negative reputation is almost as bad as Camden, NJ.
I don't know if I'd go that far. AC's poverty at least has a gilded layer.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:11 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
I've never heard anyone from New Jersey make that comparison--at least not South Jersey (maybe it's different up North).
It's not. But we also don't trash it like some people...

Old 08-04-2014, 10:29 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,799,230 times
I'm treating east as east of the Mississippi River.

Most Overrated:
  • Manhattan: Great and all, one of the world's urban gems, but there is still a whole city in the remaining four boroughs that people often seem to forget about. Places like Astoria, Long Island City, Downtown Brooklyn, and Williamsburg have made great strides in recent years. Places like Harlem and the Grand Concourse area are nothing like they were in the '80s. Riverdale in the Bronx was one of the very few places in NYC that suffered few effects from the fires, heroin and crack that ravaged the rest of the borough for decades; today, Riverdale remains a place that makes you forget you're in NYC. Nonetheless, I still wouldn't call the rest of NYC underrated at all.
  • Boston: Seems like just a great place to visit, but I hear so many gushing and gushing about it. It seems as if it can't NOT be overrated. And if Boston is anything like San Francisco, then I'll put it this way: I could probably visit for about two days, catch a game at Fenway Park, then just move on down I-95.
  • South Florida: Great for the high quality beaches and the Keys, and I enjoy visiting, but the suburban lifestyle is something I can find anywhere else in the USA, minus the Northeastern transplant attitudes. But man, oh man, the Keys are awesome! Yet I still list South Florida b/c at the end of the day, Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach are where the people live, and not Monroe County (the Keys).
  • Atlanta: I could write a series of novels on how horribly, horribly overrated Atlanta is. Being a two-time visitor, several days each time, was way more than enough for me to know how not great that place is. What a dump.

Least Overrated: I will just regard this as plain ol' underrated.
  • Baltimore: horrible crime situation, yes, but a city that is earnestly trying, with some success, to regain its old glory. I wish them nothing but the best. An easily overlooked jewel in the early historical development of America.
  • Kentucky: I know, I know, this is a state and not a city. I pick on it a lot since I moved away for various reasons, but for visitors, central and northern Kentucky actually has quite a few historically relevant sites that are some real gems. Western Kentucky has its own kind of BBQ and eastern Kentucky has the Red River Gorge, Natural Bridge, and Cumberland Falls and its moon bow. It is a beautiful state that honestly gets overlooked as more people visit and move to TN, NC, VA, etc. from the more northern states. I think it's due to the stigma (and having the Creation Museum as well as some of the most extreme of the Tea Party card-carriers in the country doesn't help).
  • Birmingham, AL: Not sure I'd live there, but I found a surprisingly intersting city when I visited in 2010. It's in some respects what Atlanta probably used to be 50 years ago. As a side note, the best peanut butter, chocolate and strawberry smoothie I've ever had was in Five Points South. The only downside is that it didn't seem as friendly as other Southern cities I've been to, but it still has many beautiful areas. Just stay away from the city west of I-65 and you're pretty much fine. An important city in the late 19th century industrial development of the South after the Civil War, as well as the rest of the U.S.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 08-04-2014 at 11:19 PM..

Old 08-05-2014, 02:48 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Underrated: Baltimore
Overrated: DC

Old 08-05-2014, 11:25 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,114 times
Overrated: New York, Boston, DC

Underrated: Orlando, Miami, Charlotte

Old 08-05-2014, 11:44 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,673 times
Quote:
I've heard this from people in Northern NJ: "What happens in Atlantic City, stays in Atlantic City." Now where do you think they ripped that off from?

Old 08-05-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It's not. But we also don't trash it like some people...
Maybe you should just admit to yourself that AC is nothing but a glorified POS.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:57 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I've heard this from people in Northern NJ: "What happens in Atlantic City, stays in Atlantic City." Now where do you think they ripped that off from?
That doesn't necessarily mean that they think it's on par with Vegas. In fact, since they're both tourism-driven gambling towns, I think the phrase is entirely apropos (albeit on a much smaller scale).

Old 08-05-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
That doesn't necessarily mean that they think it's on par with Vegas. In fact, since they're both tourism-driven gambling towns, I think the phrase is entirely apropos (albeit on a much smaller scale).
Hey man, what happens in Foxwoods, stays in Foxwoods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City