Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 11:12 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,473,508 times

Advertisements

Hello, all

Do you have opinions of any U.S. cities that are evolving in population, development, etc.? I think that my home city, Kansas City is starting to flare up in population and development, but I'm sure that it is not going to continue to be as strong as it is because of the economy. The metro has some great development to, both sides, MO and KS. What I wish would happen is to have much much more development in the downtown/plaza/westport area. I would also like to see more population increase in the downtown loop. Denver, St. Louis, and Louisville are some more cities that I have noticed are making strong progress to become great cities too. What are some of you're opinions of some of the smaller cities that are well on there way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 11:14 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
What is the definition of a major city?

Old 07-04-2009, 03:22 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCo freak View Post
Hello, all

Do you have opinions of any U.S. cities that are evolving in population, development, etc.? I think that my home city, Kansas City is starting to flare up in population and development, but I'm sure that it is not going to continue to be as strong as it is because of the economy. The metro has some great development to, both sides, MO and KS. What I wish would happen is to have much much more development in the downtown/plaza/westport area. I would also like to see more population increase in the downtown loop. Denver, St. Louis, and Louisville are some more cities that I have noticed are making strong progress to become great cities too. What are some of you're opinions of some of the smaller cities that are well on there way?
If Kansas City is to grow in the future in needs to get much more density in the Downtown, Plaza, and inner ring suburbs. The current model of "progress" and development in suburban KC is extremely unsustainable. I think KC is making progress over the past 8-10 years.
I agree with your premise there. However, many younger people leave KC because it just does not offer much at all for single people outside of a few small areas. The suburban culture is just much to encompassing.
I think the big growth players and economic drivers in the future will continue to be Denver, Omaha, Des Moines, Minneapolis, Sioux Falls, and Indianapolis.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:44 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,473,508 times
Default Cities with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
What is the definition of a major city?

A larger population than 400,000 to 450,000. Or the metro can have more than 1,500,000.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:51 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
If Kansas City is to grow in the future in needs to get much more density in the Downtown, Plaza, and inner ring suburbs. The current model of "progress" and development in suburban KC is extremely unsustainable. I think KC is making progress over the past 8-10 years.
I agree with your premise there. However, many younger people leave KC because it just does not offer much at all for single people outside of a few small areas. The suburban culture is just much to encompassing.
I think the big growth players and economic drivers in the future will continue to be Denver, Omaha, Des Moines, Minneapolis, Sioux Falls, and Indianapolis.
You talk about KC's culture being suburban and having little to offer single people then go on to mention Omaha, Des Moines and Sioux Falls??? These places are not even at KC's level let alone that of Denver or Minneapolis.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:36 AM

157 posts, read 397,822 times
Definitely Austin, Texas. 20 years ago that place wasn't even really on the map.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:53 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,007,270 times
Kansas City is not a major city at all. Charlotte and Denver are the only two cities that I would say have recently emerged into major cities.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:54 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,686,325 times
I see you are still oh so happy Fruitlassie, still missing your home here in Omaha? Been back to visit lately?

Old 07-05-2009, 10:03 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post
Definitely Austin, Texas. 20 years ago that place wasn't even really on the map.

It's still not a major city.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:18 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
You talk about KC's culture being suburban and having little to offer single people then go on to mention Omaha, Des Moines and Sioux Falls??? These places are not even at KC's level let alone that of Denver or Minneapolis.
Omaha, Des Moines, and Sioux Falls have a much better economy than Kansas City. All three of these cities have been attracting lots of younger educated professionals. Omaha and Des Moines have a good mixture of urban and suburban living options while Sioux Falls tends to be more suburban oriented.
I also prefer to live in a smaller city because I like less stress in my everyday life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City