Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Greensboro, NC 12 44.44%
Greenville, SC 15 55.56%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 04:00 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,840 times

Advertisements

"women's basketball"

You can stop right there, bud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 06:06 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
it is true as far as men's college basketball, yes. Greenville will be hosting SEC women's basketball tournament this year and it will most likely end up being the 2nd or 3rd most regular location to that tournament due to the Greenville location drawing larger crowdes than other locations they have used.

but not in terms of concerts. Any musician playing at Greensboro would play at Greenville. Greenville has a large arena and the 4th largest amphitheater in the Carolinas and GA.

Greenville also has a large convention center and always booked performing arts center.

I know recently Pearl Jam did concerts in Greenville and Columbia, had two booked in Charlotte and Raleigh, but did not have one booked in Greensboro. Greensboro being between Raleigh and Charlotte does prevent them from getting concerts that they might otherwise get.
Actually that HELPS them get concerts because the city has large venues and is centrally located between Charlotte and the Triangle, plus the Triad itself is about 1.7 million people.

And I didn't say Greenville gets NO large events or concerts, but Greensboro gets more. It has hosted the ACC men's basketball tournament 8 times since 2000 and next year it will play host to the early rounds of the NCAA men's basketball tournament (and incidentally, this year Raleigh played host and in 2018, Charlotte will). I know of several large-scale conventions that have come to Greensboro that haven't come to Greenville.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:46 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
ok.

A lot of the conventions are not something residents go to.

i don't think Greensboro gets more, it may get some bigger events of a certain type but as far as concerts go, I do not think is a bigger destination. as i pointed out, Pearl Jam came to Greenville and Columbia but did not book Greensboro.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-22-2016 at 07:00 PM..

Old 06-22-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
"women's basketball"

You can stop right there, bud.
i wasn't bragging about that, just pointing it out.

the conference tournaments are only a weekend.. It is not a reason to live in a city in my view.

it would not surprise me if Greenville starts to get the ACC mens tournament every now and then. It is in a central location witin the ACC footprint, and there have always been a lot of accusations of bias for the NC schools because Greensboro basically gives them homecourt in the ACC tourney.

but if a person considering Greenville likes college basketball, Clemson University is 40 minutes away and are finishing up a renovation to their gym. They play a few games every year in Greenville.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:11 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
ok.

A lot of the conventions are not something residents go to.
And some of them do go. The fact that they have more large-scale conventions gives their residents more options.

Quote:
i don't think Greensboro gets more, it may get some bigger events of a certain type but as far as concerts go, I do not think is a bigger destination. as i pointed out, Pearl Jam came to Greenville and Columbia but did not book Greensboro.
Pearl Jam also didn't stop in Atlanta, Charlotte, DC, Baltimore, LA, San Francisco, Houston, Dallas, etc. There will always be tours that skip certain cities but I'm talking about on average.

Overall, Greensboro gets more events because of its venues. That is its strength.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:29 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Greenville definitely has a better downtown and probably everything you can find in one city you can find in the other. Greensboro feels a bit larger to me but the CSA, MSA and urban area are all similar in size to Greenville.

To mention ACC basketball at Clemson being 40 minutes away from Greenville and not mention it at Wake Forest 20 minutes away from Greensboro sounds a bit odd. Whether or not Greensboro gives the NC teams a "home court advantage", it is central to the ACC's footprint and a much more fair situation for schools like Miami and Boston College. Greensboro and Charlotte are the best options for the ACC Tournament as far as location, and it's not much closer to Raleigh than it is Greenville so I would add the SC (and VA) school into that "bias" mix as well. The only schools that can honestly claim a travel hardship to Greensboro are BC, Miami, FSU, ND, and Syracuse. Everything else is a 6 hour (or so) drive or less and easily doable.

Greenville's coliseum doesn't seat enough to host the ACC Tournament...it seats about as many as Winston-Salem's. Greensboro has roughly 9,000 more seats and Charlotte about 6,000. I would be very surprised if Greenville hosted the tournament as it has never been seriously discussed as a host - while Greensboro has hosted it more than 20 times and seems to do it very well. The only other hosts in recent memory have been Charlotte, Atlanta, Washington DC and Tampa (once, and it was a disaster attendance-wise)...and NYC coming up. I don't see Greenville getting in the mix.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:20 PM

i wasn't trying to hide fact Wake Forest has basketball games and it is near Greensboro. Basketball tournament games at Greensboro arena was introduced as something Greenville doesn't have, so i pointed out Clemson is nearby with basketball games all season, and plays a few games every season in Greenville.

Greenville has never been seriously discussed b/c the NCAA had banned tournament games in our state until recently. I was not thinking about the seating aspect so you probalby right on that. no big deal either way, it is a one weekend event.

but arenas can always be expanded. i would not be surprised if that one is.

NC schools do have a home court advantage in Greensboro. even Coach K admits that. it is already difficult for teams to beat Duke and UNC without playing the tournament in their backyard.

i kind of doubt somebody moving down here from the north is a big ACC college basketball fan tho unless they root for Cuse.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:28 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
i wasn't trying to hide fact Wake Forest has basketball games and it is near Greensboro. Basketball tournament games at Greensboro arena was introduced as something Greenville doesn't have, so i pointed out Clemson is nearby with basketball games all season, and plays a few games every season in Greenville.

Greenville has never been seriously discussed b/c the NCAA had banned tournament games in our state until recently. I was not thinking about the seating aspect so you probalby right on that. no big deal either way, it is a one weekend event.

but arenas can always be expanded. i would not be surprised if that one is.

NC schools do have a home court advantage in Greensboro. even Coach K admits that.

So Clemson doesn't also have an advantage in an arena that's 2.5 hours away, along with UVA and VA Tech? It's about an hour and a half to GSO from Raleigh and just over 2 hours from Greenville. I would call that a wash - no matter what Coach K says. I assume he was forgetting about Clemson? I think the home court thing is just that the NC teams have played in GSO so many times, but so has Clemson - a founding member of the ACC. I think you have to say the NC/SC/VA teams have an advantage there due to proximity, not just the NC teams.

Wake (and maybe Duke) is about the only one with a REAL advantage over everyone else. Clemson has an advantage over at least 10 other ACC teams, so you should feel fortunate to have the tournament in GSO if you're a Clemson fan. If it were a football game Clemson would have 80,000 there!

Old 06-22-2016, 08:52 PM

i don't think she cares about this college basketball stuff. obviously as a UNC person you like the tourney being in Gboro. I was just pointing out that if you live in Greensville you can go see college basketball games at Clemson, and they play some in Greenville.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:27 AM

2,001 posts, read 1,865,834 times
Greenville you will go further with your money but Greensboro is nice too. They have a huge mall, major airport a bit dull though but in recent years have been doing major expansion. Roads ect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City