Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Greensboro, NC 12 44.44%
Greenville, SC 15 55.56%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 06:12 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Greenville you will go further with your money but Greensboro is nice too. They have a huge mall, major airport a bit dull though but in recent years have been doing major expansion. Roads ect
How so? Cost of living is essentially the same in each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 08:56 AM

284 posts, read 269,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How so? Cost of living is essentially the same in each.

Taxes are about double for where I wanted to live in outside of Greensboro v. where I'm looking outside of Greenville. min wage is the same. House prices seem about the same city v. city.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenleex View Post
Taxes are about double for where I wanted to live in outside of Greensboro v. where I'm looking outside of Greenville. min wage is the same. House prices seem about the same city v. city.
NC generally has higher taxes (although I think that's changed somewhat since the GOP took over the state legislature) but it can be a tradeoff when it comes to certain things, like quality of schools, roads, etc.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:43 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Just seeing what you all think about these two counties if you've lived in both. I first started house hunting in the Greensboro area of NC, now I am looking at the Greenville area, SC. Anyone lived in both or have opinions on which place you think is a better place to live. Family friendly is one of the biggest things I look for. Both of these areas have decent schools. NW Greensboro has what seems like the best district but with that comes higher taxes as well. They just seem really similar. We are visiting Greenville this fall
Greensboro is more lively with a lot more to do. Greensboro's downtown is constantly evolving with new revitalization and with close proximity to Winston Salem or Durham-Chapel Hill never boring on the weekends. The NW side of Greensboro (Guilford/Friendly area) is gorgeous, safe and offers all kinds of youth recreation opportunities. Unless you're politically oriented more to the far right and/or especially religious, I cannot imagine Greenville being a better fit for your family.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Greensboro is more lively with a lot more to do.
Greensboro, more lively? Can't agree with that. For cities the size of Greensboro and Greenville, the vast majority of liveliness is centered on downtown and while downtown Greensboro is nice and more lively than many know, it just doesn't beat Greenville here. On a Sunday afternoon at 5pm, downtown Greenville will be teeming with people and you can find a good bit of activity there on a Sunday night as well. And while Greensboro does host more large-scale events and such, overall it doesn't have a lot more to do than Greenville. Greensboro might have the edge in that department (and it's debatable), but it's not by "a lot."

Quote:
Unless you're politically oriented more to the far right and/or especially religious, I cannot imagine Greenville being a better fit for your family.
I think Greenville is a tad more family-friendly. Greenville's downtown in particular seems to cater to families more; at night, Elm Street is more of a big nightlife destination with a good bit of clubs, bars, etc. and it gets rowdy sometimes. That's not Greenville. Overall both are family-friendly and have a lot of the same family-friendly features in their downtown areas (popular park, ballpark, children's museum, etc.) but I can easily see one being more family-friendly than the other depending on a particular family's desires and needs. I'm not seeing how it's a blowout for Greensboro here as you're suggesting.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
NC generally has higher taxes (although I think that's changed somewhat since the GOP took over the state legislature) but it can be a tradeoff when it comes to certain things, like quality of schools, roads, etc.
The area I would love to be in in NC, taxes were about 2500-3k for the same house I'd want in SC. I'm only looking at great rated schools. I know ratings are different in every state but in that case, I might as well homeschool and stay where I'm at.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Greensboro is more lively with a lot more to do. Greensboro's downtown is constantly evolving with new revitalization and with close proximity to Winston Salem or Durham-Chapel Hill never boring on the weekends. The NW side of Greensboro (Guilford/Friendly area) is gorgeous, safe and offers all kinds of youth recreation opportunities. Unless you're politically oriented more to the far right and/or especially religious, I cannot imagine Greenville being a better fit for your family.
The NW area of Greensboro has very good schools, and is pretty expensive tax and house price wise.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
The area I would love to be in in NC, taxes were about 2500-3k for the same house I'd want in SC. I'm only looking at great rated schools. I know ratings are different in every state but in that case, I might as well homeschool and stay where I'm at.
That's not surprising as NC schools are better than SC schools on the whole. In that case it's pretty much a matter of getting what you pay for.

But if it comes down to lower taxes, then it should be an easy choice.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
That's not surprising as NC schools are better than SC schools on the whole. In that case it's pretty much a matter of getting what you pay for.

A lot of schools are more than likely better than our district now in NY. Not rated high at all with a high dropout rate. We live in a poor town.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:44 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,856 times
Quote:

That could be because nc has more adavnce cities than sc. We really only have charleston greenville and Columbia. Which has good schools in the metros. A couple other places here and there but thats about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City